Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: When SS was first being debated in Congress this very issue was BIIIIIIIG. Until the ban ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

When SS was first being debated in Congress this very issue was BIIIIIIIG. Until the ban of its use as an ID was added, FDR was going to lose the program.

The only loosening of the law has been solely for income tax purposes. Hence the allowance that anyone who pays you reportable income must obtain your SS number because, above established thresholds the p;ayor issues you whatever variation of a 1099 that aopplies and files a copy with the IRS. That way the IRS can match to see if you are properly reporting.

--hide--

I have two questions for you Paul. The first is why do you think, or know, how come the Identification Purpose of the
card was such an issue back then?

The second question is if you are aware that when a person gets a green card to work in America, they get a social security
number at that time. Is that true? Do you know? I thought you had to be a citizen to have a social security card.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:I have two questions for you Paul. The first is why do you think, or know, how come the Identifica...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:
I have two questions for you Paul. The first is why do you think, or know, how come the Identification Purpose of the
card was such an issue back then?

The second question is if you are aware that when a person gets a green card to work in America, they get a social security
number at that time. Is that true? Do you know? I thought you had to be a citizen to have a social security card.

--hide--

Americans just don't like (especially then) being required to carry ID papers around. Foreign visitors over the years always marveled at the fact that Americans could move around freely without permission from anyone and doing so without having to identify themselves every step of the way. We actually used to look down our noses at Europeans because they always have to have their ID papers.

Just to illustrate the difference: The first time I visited family in Italy I was with my aunt when she went to her bank. I figured it was a good time to cash some travelers checks (not personal checks) because my wife and I would be moving on in a couple of days. All kinds of consternation ensued because I did not have my passport with me. Thank goodness there was a relative working there who pleaded with higher ups to cash them as if they were cashing them for my aunt.

Anyone working in the US is subject to US income tax on any income earned. So they have to have a tax ID number of some kind. But to directly answer the question, anyone can gat an SS card. That in itself is no big deal. Citizenship is not a requirement.

Incidentally, under the law, you are not required to have an SS number. Of course, with the way things are it would be difficult to get through the day without one. Unless you have an SS card or tax ID number no bank will open any kind of an account for you. Virtually no employer would hire you and if they did they would still be obligated to pay their share of SS and medicare taxes and with hold your share from your pay, even though you would receive no SS credits for those taxes paid. You are not required to obtain an SS number for your children, but if you don't you don't get a deduction for them on your income tax. On and on its goes.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Americans just don't like (especially then) being required to carry ID papers around....
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Americans just don't like (especially then) being required to carry ID papers around. Foreign visitors over the years always marveled at the fact that Americans could move around freely without permission from anyone and doing so without having to identify themselves every step of the way. We actually used to look down our noses at Europeans because they always have to have their ID papers.

Just to illustrate the difference: The first time I visited family in Italy I was with my aunt when she went to her bank. I figured it was a good time to cash some travelers checks (not personal checks) because my wife and I would be moving on in a couple of days. All kinds of consternation ensued because I did not have my passport with me. Thank goodness there was a relative working there who pleaded with higher ups to cash them as if they were cashing them for my aunt.

Anyone working in the US is subject to US income tax on any income earned. So they have to have a tax ID number of some kind. But to directly answer the question, anyone can gat an SS card. That in itself is no big deal. Citizenship is not a requirement.

Incidentally, under the law, you are not required to have an SS number. Of course, with the way things are it would be difficult to get through the day without one. Unless you have an SS card or tax ID number no bank will open any kind of an account for you. Virtually no employer would hire you and if they did they would still be obligated to pay their share of SS and medicare taxes and with hold your share from your pay, even though you would receive no SS credits for those taxes paid. You are not required to obtain an SS number for your children, but if you don't you don't get a deduction for them on your income tax. On and on its goes.

--hide--

Well, Paul, guess what...In New York, you can open a bank account, and a checking. The person I knew
who did it had a Visa from another country. I think he only needed an address in the states to do it. I did not
think so either. I was very surprised.

I thought that children today are born with Social Security numbers? Could be wrong.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Well, Paul, guess what...In New York, you can open a bank account, and a checking. The...

Well, Paul, guess what...In New York, you can open a bank account, and a checking. The person I knew
who did it had a Visa from another country. I think he only needed an address in the states to do it. I did not
think so either. I was very surprised.

I thought that children today are born with Social Security numbers? Could be wrong.

--hide--

They are.

Most countries, BTW, do require the showing of photo ID in order to exercise the franchise, and the people have no complaints about getting such. They also ink the fingers of those who vote so as to instantly verify that any in their lines haven't already done so.

Neither of these international "best practices" are done in many states, and the second is entirely unknown. It's kind of sad to think that Iraq started out with a better electoral system that is used in the "greatest country on Earth."

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: They are. Most countries, BTW, do require the showing of photo ID in order to ex...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

They are.

Most countries, BTW, do require the showing of photo ID in order to exercise the franchise, and the people have no complaints about getting such. They also ink the fingers of those who vote so as to instantly verify that any in their lines haven't already done so.

Neither of these international "best practices" are done in many states, and the second is entirely unknown. It's kind of sad to think that Iraq started out with a better electoral system that is used in the "greatest country on Earth."

--hide--

Steven: I heard on talk radio tonight that the problem of easy access to voting by non citizens is becoming more
and more recognized. I think this is a good start, and I thank God this has been exposed, even just a little. Maybe
it will pick up momentum.

I bet many years ago it was a lot harder to register to vote, but with all the immigrant accommodation, the rules
probably changed.

The person on the radio tonight was a fill in for Mark Levin, and his name was something like Brian Sussman. He said
he was originally a meteorologist and then had a chance to do talk shows. He was an excellent speaker and so
interesting. I only caught the last hour of it, but it was one of the most interesting talk shows I have heard in a long
time. Do you know the person I am speaking about?

Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Steven: I heard on talk radio tonight that the problem of easy access to voting by non...

Steven: I heard on talk radio tonight that the problem of easy access to voting by non citizens is becoming more
and more recognized. I think this is a good start, and I thank God this has been exposed, even just a little. Maybe
it will pick up momentum.

I bet many years ago it was a lot harder to register to vote, but with all the immigrant accommodation, the rules
probably changed.

The person on the radio tonight was a fill in for Mark Levin, and his name was something like Brian Sussman. He said
he was originally a meteorologist and then had a chance to do talk shows. He was an excellent speaker and so
interesting. I only caught the last hour of it, but it was one of the most interesting talk shows I have heard in a long
time. Do you know the person I am speaking about?

--hide--

No I do not, but will look him up.

In the meantime, the evidence continues to roll in and we should call an election stolen and a "president" an Usurper.

http://www.freerepublic.com

http://www.americanthinker.com

drrobertowens.com

If that is the case, and we have enough evidence to make a case, then where is go is to the most high to pray for deliverance. Then, since the polls have failed and the law is found napping, to the steets!

Prayers must be made, letters must be written, and protests signs carried.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: No I do not, but will look him up. In the meantime, the evidence continues to ro...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

No I do not, but will look him up.

In the meantime, the evidence continues to roll in and we should call an election stolen and a "president" an Usurper.

http://www.freerepublic.com

http://www.americanthinker.com

drrobertowens.com

If that is the case, and we have enough evidence to make a case, then where is go is to the most high to pray for deliverance. Then, since the polls have failed and the law is found napping, to the steets!

Prayers must be made, letters must be written, and protests signs carried.

--hide--

Steven: It says in one of the references above that just about 334K votes were needed in a few states to get Romney the
necessary electorial votes. It seems like a very do able recount and also to check to see if anyone not qualified to vote
cast their ballots. That was just two states or three states. That really can be done. It seems possible. I hope they
finish the job and recount the votes. We must pray for sure.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Steven: It says in one of the references above that just about 334K votes were needed ...

Steven: It says in one of the references above that just about 334K votes were needed in a few states to get Romney the
necessary electorial votes. It seems like a very do able recount and also to check to see if anyone not qualified to vote
cast their ballots. That was just two states or three states. That really can be done. It seems possible. I hope they
finish the job and recount the votes. We must pray for sure.

--hide--

Hi, Marianne:

Recount rules vary by state, but I believe in most cases, the margin to trigger a recount (whether "automatic" or for a particular candidate to be able to call for a recount) is very slim. In NC, it's 1% or 0.5%: ballotpedia.org

Besides, what everyone is forgetting is that it is not the popular vote that decides the election winner, but the Electoral College. I believe they will be meeting on Dec. 17th.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: Hi, Marianne: Recount rules vary by state, but I believe in most cases,...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

Hi, Marianne:

Recount rules vary by state, but I believe in most cases, the margin to trigger a recount (whether "automatic" or for a particular candidate to be able to call for a recount) is very slim. In NC, it's 1% or 0.5%: ballotpedia.org

Besides, what everyone is forgetting is that it is not the popular vote that decides the election winner, but the Electoral College. I believe they will be meeting on Dec. 17th.

--hide--

Charles, no one is forgetting that it is NOT the popular vote. The recount is to get enough popular votes to win the
state's electoral votes. Here is an article posted by Steven, above, which says that in only 4 states, and with a total
of 333,000 more popular votes, it would give those states enough electoral votes for Romney to win that state.

That recount is very plausible, in just 4 states. And the electoral colleges meet in the states, as you said, Dec. 17.
And it is only 333,000 more actual votes. From the uncounted ballots to voter fraud, that seems possible.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Charles, no one is forgetting that it is NOT the popular vote. The recount is to get enoug...

Charles, no one is forgetting that it is NOT the popular vote. The recount is to get enough popular votes to win the
state's electoral votes. Here is an article posted by Steven, above, which says that in only 4 states, and with a total
of 333,000 more popular votes, it would give those states enough electoral votes for Romney to win that state.

That recount is very plausible, in just 4 states. And the electoral colleges meet in the states, as you said, Dec. 17.
And it is only 333,000 more actual votes. From the uncounted ballots to voter fraud, that seems possible.

--hide--

Any recount at this point in time is neither plausible nor possible, as the respective states have certified the final counts. Once the final counts are certified, the respective candidates have only a narrow window of time to ask for an official recount. If that deadline has not passed, then it is certainly looming.

Regarding those "333,000 actual votes," how are they apportioned among those four respective states? And in which states are they? I can't wade through the myriad articles referenced by the websites to find this information.

At this point in time, however, while awaiting the outcome of the Electoral College, I think it would be more prudent for citizens in states to start pushing their respective Attorneys General and Boards of Election to investigate potential voter fraud. And I mean get really active. Write letters, schedule meetings--track these bureaucrats down and demand to their face that something be done, and then hound them until something is done. If there were indeed voter fraud, then the individuals who perpetrated the crimes need to be brought to justice.

Posts 21 - 30 of 31