Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: Of course, not Patricia! God is life-giving. I'm against abortion/ murder in every circums...
(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said:

Of course, not Patricia! God is life-giving. I'm against abortion/ murder in every circumstance even in cases of rape or life of the mother.

I look at it as such:

Only women can have abortions. (roughly half the population)

Only women of child bearing age can have abortions. (roughly 14-50s)

Not all women will have abortions.
--hide--

So, what is your point?

Even one abortion is one too many. I saw young women in medical practice (in her 20's) who had had 9 abortions - basically was using it as a form of birth control. There are far more abortions than you realize taking place because most women will not talk about them. They know instinctively that what they have done in having an abortion is wrong.

11/18/2012 new
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: So, what is your point? Even one abortion is one too many. I saw young women in medical pract...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

So, what is your point?

Even one abortion is one too many. I saw young women in medical practice (in her 20's) who had had 9 abortions - basically was using it as a form of birth control. There are far more abortions than you realize taking place because most women will not talk about them. They know instinctively that what they have done in having an abortion is wrong.

--hide--

Amen! One abortion is indeed one too many.

My point is I cannot support a candidate solely on one issue which we agree. Which is why, in good conscience I don't participate in Walk for Life.

Only a small percentage of the pop. has an abortion. I believe 3,000/day in a country with a pop. of 300 million.
11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: Amen! One abortion is indeed one too many. My point is I cannot support a candidate so...

My point is I cannot support a candidate solely on one issue which we agree. Which is why, in good conscience I don't participate in Walk for Life.

Only a small percentage of the pop. has an abortion. I believe 3,000/day in a country with a pop. of 300 million.
--hide--

Let's see 3000 abortions per day in a country with 52 states. That is roughly 60 abortions per day per state - every single day 60 people in the state you live in are murdered - every day of every week of every month of every year - on and on and on and on, ad infinitum. How long do you think God is going to let us continue to do this? And, it doesn't even seem to make you blink. You use the word "only a small percentage". You are rationalizing to yourself - as most Catholics did who voted for Obama. As a Catholic, there is no single other issue which has this level of importance. NONE.

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Gustavo-764558 said: Amen! One abortion is indeed one too many. My point is I cannot support a candidate so...

--hide--

Pope John Paul II as well as Benedict XVI have said that without the right to life all other rights are meaningless.

The Bishops of this country, some in no uncertain terms without mentioning names others in a more convoluted stated that any person claming to be a Catholic with a right conscience could not vote for anyone who supports abortion, same sex marriage and Euthanasia. One BIshop said, unambiguously that if a catholic read the party platforms of both parties he did not see how they could ever support the Democratic party platform.

Archbishop Chaput of Philidelphia, among others said, that any Catholic who claims to have a correctly formed conscience voting for a candidate who is so outspoken in support of abortion, same sex marriage, etc. is materially and substantially cooperating in the evils that candidate espouses and is just as guilty.

Those statements by the Catholic Bishops of the US appear to me to be saying that when it comes to these issues, no Catholic with a correctly formed conscience has to be a one issue voter.

Do you agree or disagree with the Bishops?

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: The author of this article is committing the ecological fallacy: http://en.wikiped...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

The author of this article is committing the ecological fallacy: en.wikipedia.org

While it is correct that the states in question (those with a higher Hispanic population) did vote in a greater percentage (the "spread") for Romney vs Obama as compared to McCain vs. Obama, you cannot draw any conclusions about the voting behavior of the respective populations by race/ethnicity within the states in question.

--hide--

It mentions that in the article (in the part I copied) but also points out that the opponents cannot claim that Romney lost due to his anti amnesty position.

11/18/2012 new
So as long as a candidate is "Pro-Life" they get a blank check?

As a friendly reminder, our last so-called pro-life administration was responsible for 2 pre-emptive wars (morally unjust), neglect of the poor via tax cuts for the rich (morally unjust), Bush was gov. of TX a state that executes it's criminals. PJII said appropriate use of capital punishment is "virtually non-existent"
11/18/2012 new

--hide--

I just did some research since I knew your statement that only a small percentage of the population has an abortion. At current rates, over 30% of women will have an abortion during their lifetime. But, at project rate of increase in number of abortions, the projection is that 35% of women will have an abortion by age 45 (which of course is not the end of reproductive life for most women - usually over age 50). Either way you look at it 1 in 3 women (that is all women in the United States) will have an abortion during her lifetime! Does that sound like a small percentage to you? It sure doesn't to me.

When life is this undervalued, the next step is letting people die whom society does not value such as those that are disabled, seriously ill - especially those that are terminally ill, mentally ill - especially those that want to commit suicide, the elderly, the homeless and destitute, women (China implemented this policy quite some time ago), those of certain racial or tribal background (genocide committed in certain African countries), those of certain religious identity (I'm sure you remember or know of what Germany did to the Jews), and eventually it becomes ANYONE and EVERYONE who those that are in power want to eliminate (ie., kill).

This is known as the slippery slope that started with the introduction of oral contraceptives in this country and led to the legalization of abortion and then the continual increase in percentage of abortions and now to some states legalizing euthanasia or assisted suicide. At some point in your life, you will fit into one of these categories - we all will - and until we start to reverse the processes that already have been legalized, the odds that we will become victim to extermination by the powers that be in the United States will only continue to increase. By voting for a candidate that supports partial birth abortion such as Obama, the end result will only be the early demise of you or one of your heirs at some point in time. That is the only logical conclusion that can be drawn from the path we are on. It is not pleasant to think about, but then again, the truth sometimes isn't. It is time to wake up to what the populace of this country is doing to itself and to it's future (or lack thereof).

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) John-857142 said: It mentions that in the article (in the part I copied) but also points out that the o...
(Quote) John-857142 said:

It mentions that in the article (in the part I copied) but also points out that the opponents cannot claim that Romney lost due to his anti amnesty position.

--hide--

What if, as many here have inimated, he lost because the election was stolen?

www.freerepublic.com

www.americanthinker.com

drrobertowens.com

If that is the case, and we have enough evidence to make a case, then where is go is to the most high to pray for deliverance. Then, since the polls have failed and the law is found napping, to the steets!

Prayers must be made, letters must be written, and protests signs carried.

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I just did some research since I knew your statement that only a small percentage of th...

I just did some research since I knew your statement that only a small percentage of the population has an abortion. At current rates, over 30% of women will have an abortion during their lifetime. But, at project rate of increase in number of abortions, the projection is that 35% of women will have an abortion by age 45 (which of course is not the end of reproductive life for most women - usually over age 50). Either way you look at it 1 in 3 women (that is all women in the United States) will have an abortion during her lifetime! Does that sound like a small percentage to you? It sure doesn't to me.

When life is this undervalued, the next step is letting people die whom society does not value such as those that are disabled, seriously ill - especially those that are terminally ill, mentally ill - especially those that want to commit suicide, the elderly, the homeless and destitute, women (China implemented this policy quite some time ago), those of certain racial or tribal background (genocide committed in certain African countries), those of certain religious identity (I'm sure you remember or know of what Germany did to the Jews), and eventually it becomes ANYONE and EVERYONE who those that are in power want to eliminate (ie., kill).

This is known as the slippery slope that started with the introduction of oral contraceptives in this country and led to the legalization of abortion and then the continual increase in percentage of abortions and now to some states legalizing euthanasia or assisted suicide. At some point in your life, you will fit into one of these categories - we all will - and until we start to reverse the processes that already have been legalized, the odds that we will become victim to extermination by the powers that be in the United States will only continue to increase. By voting for a candidate that supports partial birth abortion such as Obama, the end result will only be the early demise of you or one of your heirs at some point in time. That is the only logical conclusion that can be drawn from the path we are on. It is not pleasant to think about, but then again, the truth sometimes isn't. It is time to wake up to what the populace of this country is doing to itself and to it's future (or lack thereof).

--hide--

Correction. The first sentence should read - I just did some research since I knew your statement that only a small percentage of the population has an abortion is wrong.

11/18/2012 new
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Correction. The first sentence should read - I just did some research since I knew your statement th...

Correction. The first sentence should read - I just did some research since I knew your statement that only a small percentage of the population has an abortion is wrong.

--hide--

I stand by my numbers: 3,000/day out of 300 million.

We should try to explain "pro-life" to the children of Kabul, Iraq as they grow up without a limb, a parent or a sibling.

Even if abortion were to be outlawed tomorrow, women would obtain them in back alleys, Canada, Cuba or Europe.

Pro-life should encompass every meaning of the phrase, not just what is inline with conservative ideology
Posts 101 - 110 of 198