Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: You might be right...in South Texas, I knew one parent that found disabilities for both her kids...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

You might be right...in South Texas, I knew one parent that found disabilities for both her kids and we had to fill out that paper work. I have a friend who hated doing this...she wasn't that popular to say the least. One of the disabilties is Fibromyalgia. The parent researched it and trained the kids. It is hard to prove someone doesn't have it or does have it. Meanwhile this kid would jump over desk in the classroom and not do any school work. I think it is sad because it makes it harder for the people who really do need the help to get it.

My original point is though is that both parties help the less fortunate and that republicans care just as much as liberals but get bad press to the contrary.

--hide--

Are you saying that one of the kids was supposed to have Fibromyalgia? I never saw it in a kid before. It must be rare.

I do think the Republicans have been strapped with the assumption that they do not care for the less fortunate. Look
at Romney, he donated so much money to charity and spend a good bit of time doing missionary work.

The Republicans should not have that designation of being less concerned about the unfortunate.

Nov 13th 2012 new

Helpless people have to be created so that they can be "helped" and become addicted to programs. Our present economy is not capitalist but rather plutocratic, so more and more helpless people are being created all the time.

Nov 13th 2012 new

Cheryl-409772 said:

Really...had someone tell me this was a liberal idea...LOL. Liberal ideas are ideas that have to do with prodeath culture or anything not Christian. And are we to believe that 47% of this nation can't help themselves???? I think the longer people are made dependent, the more they lose the ability to get back onto their own two feet....better to find us jobs and give us pay then to just give us pay. I know both parties want to help the poor and that is a good thing....but we have to have more checks and balances for how to do that....making sure the money does't get wasted for instance. I know too many people who get social security checks and use it on drugs and alcohol and cigarettes instead of the kids....ways to make sure that doesn't happen....this would be a good party? Fact is...everyone else is going to quit trying too with things going the way they are.

Wow. "find us" and "give us"--the rhetoric of learned helplessness.

"more checks and balances"? As in "Big Government"?

Isn't this abuse and neglect? Isn't this fraud that should be reported to the appropriate agencies?

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: Cheryl-409772 said: Really...had someone tell me this was a liberal ide...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

Cheryl-409772 said:

Really...had someone tell me this was a liberal idea...LOL. Liberal ideas are ideas that have to do with prodeath culture or anything not Christian. And are we to believe that 47% of this nation can't help themselves???? I think the longer people are made dependent, the more they lose the ability to get back onto their own two feet....better to find us jobs and give us pay then to just give us pay. I know both parties want to help the poor and that is a good thing....but we have to have more checks and balances for how to do that....making sure the money does't get wasted for instance. I know too many people who get social security checks and use it on drugs and alcohol and cigarettes instead of the kids....ways to make sure that doesn't happen....this would be a good party? Fact is...everyone else is going to quit trying too with things going the way they are.

Isn't this abuse and neglect? Isn't this fraud that should be reported to the appropriate agencies?

--hide--
Absolutely NO WAY to prove it!

Nov 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: Helpless people have to be created so that they can be "helped" and become addicted to p...
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

Helpless people have to be created so that they can be "helped" and become addicted to programs. Our present economy is not capitalist but rather plutocratic, so more and more helpless people are being created all the time.

--hide--

I think we should get on the bandwagon. After all, just think of all the money we could save if we got foodstamps.
And no one would even know we were using them, because they have some kind of a credit card. Pretty good.

But then, we can't cheat the system. We have morals, don't we?

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I think we should get on the bandwagon. After all, just think of all the money we coul...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I think we should get on the bandwagon. After all, just think of all the money we could save if we got foodstamps.
And no one would even know we were using them, because they have some kind of a credit card. Pretty good.

--hide--

That "credit card" of which you speak is more like a debit card, or "pre-paid Visa" of sorts (my interpretation). Instead of distributing coupons ("food stamps"), more states have switched to using the card. Funds are transferred to the cardholder's account, which is accessed electronically via swiping and use of a PIN.

en.wikipedia.org

At least with the card, defrauding the system is perhaps a little more difficult, because now folks do not have the physical coupons to sell for cash in a type of secondary economy.

As for the card itself, the ones I've seen have a large bald eagle blazoned across the front. I think the letters EBT are also printed on it, but of this aspect I'm not 100% certain. Regardless, it's pretty obvious it's not a credit card or bank-issued debit card. I've also seen folks shopping with pre-printed lists, clearly delineating the specific items they may purchase with their SNAP/TANF/WIC benefits.

If you're interested, you can find out if you're available for the SNAP program: www.fns.usda.gov

Also, here are some data from the Census Bureau on poverty thresholds: www.census.gov

In the end, to get any kind of government assistance, you have to be rather poor. But if you really want to know about cheating the system, I suggest you start by writing Bernie Madoff.

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I think we should get on the bandwagon. After all, just think of all the money we coul...

--hide--

Yes...get your LINK card. I don't know how much fraud is connected to the food stamp program but I imagine it's quite small compared to other frauds.

Nov 14th 2012 new

--hide--
Many of us are already starting to feel like that other half that this quote below is talking about...I know I am also.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 - 2005

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Also, I had a history course a while back that talked about how in Europe people were more willi...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Also, I had a history course a while back that talked about how in Europe people were more willing to be taxed and let the govt. decide where it should go.....whereas in our country we were not (well, we weren't founded that way either); however, perhaps there has been a change in the tide now and the majority is ready to be taxed more thinking the govt is benevolent more so than private ministries and business...uh, physician assisted suicide, abortions....I don't think so!

--hide--
The US may not have been "founded" that way, but it could be "losted" that way.

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Charles-211696 said: Cheryl-409772 said: Really...had someone tell me this was a liberal ide...
(Quote) Charles-211696 said:

Cheryl-409772 said:

--hide--
I agree with you on the rest of it though...but there is a point to be made that when the original welfare system was set up it was set up (I believe) with the intention of finding jobs for people not just giving them money....people apply for govt jobs all the time, why not give them a job if they are going to give them money anyway...of course then they might have to pay more because welfare and disability doesn't pay anytihng, but surely there is something everyone can do...lick envelopes, clean parks if not handicapped, etc. People are already in the positions of giving away the money so it wouldn't increase govt. would it if you add a job list to them for them to refer people too....I do see what you are saying, but it is just an idea....I think people would rather do something then recieve free money....helps their self-esteem....I know I would. For instance, when I applied for the civil service job, I asked if I would be more considered since I am unemployed (or at times partially employed) and they said "no".....wouldn't it be a good idea though to do this? They already give extra points for the military as they should, but why not give a few bonus points to the others....again, I don't know, but it seems like an idea. I also don't think they would have to add more positions then they already have to make sure people aren't abusing govt. aide. Just make them report what they used the money on and do drug test or something....I know I"d do it......I'd be pissed since I never did a drug in my life, but I'd do it....again, I don't know what the answer is....this thread is just for "thought".

Posts 11 - 20 of 146