Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: That is the thing, Chelsea...you haven't read the whole thread and then you accuse me of per...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

That is the thing, Chelsea...you haven't read the whole thread and then you accuse me of perhaps saying something about people that isn't true...I know it is true and it is an example for how this govt. control of everything doesn't work and how it is not right for govt. to take money that doesn't belong to them to give to people for drugs, alcohol, sex, abortion, etc. against what might be their conscience. James started the idea for the whole thread when he implied to me privately that the liberals do the "safety net" better. I started this thread to show this isn't true. Right now anyway, the republican party who also does the social programs is fighting more for prolife causes and to cut waste. Liberals kill babies....period...they support physician assisted suicide and the culture of death in so many ways and they support waste and programs that force us to pay for birth control. In other words, you simply cannot be democrat and be Catholic. My point started by saying that I do not think liberals help the unfortunate more than republicans. I don't even know where you were coming from when you begain your "admonishing", but yea, since I am on here fighting for life and faith, it was probably not coming from a good place.

When Martin Luther left the faith, he redefined it to help him feel better about his inadequacies. People still do this today. Redefining faith and theology to affirm oneself. What I have figured out is this is what we do...we redefine to affirm ourselves...the thing is I don't want to be influenced by Catholics that do this and I don't want them speaking for me. Lately, I wonder if being on here and posting does any good whatsoever....is it helping me...is it helping anyone else? I used to learn a lot from fellow Catholics...the really spiritual ones like Jerry. Lately it seems all I hear from the people on here is scandal and I think it is hurting my faith....perhaps because I've been on the political thread too much. Perhaps it is time to take a break. I am passionate about supporting prolife and it is hard enough to hear noncatholics devalue it much less Catholics....they rationalize and redefine by saying they don't support it, so it is OK if they support someone who does support it...but it isn't and deep down we all know this.

--hide--
A little confusing at the beginning....I mean the people that are being forced to give money...that it goes against their conscience...not the people doing the sins of murder,etc.

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: That is the thing, Chelsea...you haven't read the whole thread and then you accuse me of per...

That is the thing, Chelsea...you haven't read the whole thread and then you accuse me of perhaps saying something about people that isn't true...I know it is true and it is an example for how this govt. control of everything doesn't work and how it is not right for govt. to take money that doesn't belong to them to give to people for drugs, alcohol, sex, abortion, etc. against what might be their conscience. James started the idea for the whole thread when he implied to me privately that the liberals do the "safety net" better. I started this thread to show this isn't true. Right now anyway, the republican party who also does the social programs is fighting more for prolife causes and to cut waste. Liberals kill babies....period...they support physician assisted suicide and the culture of death in so many ways and they support waste and programs that force us to pay for birth control. In other words, you simply cannot be democrat and be Catholic. My point started by saying that I do not think liberals help the unfortunate more than republicans. I don't even know where you were coming from when you begain your "admonishing", but yea, since I am on here fighting for life and faith, it was probably not coming from a good place.

When Martin Luther left the faith, he redefined it to help him feel better about his inadequacies. People still do this today. Redefining faith and theology to affirm oneself. What I have figured out is this is what we do...we redefine to affirm ourselves...the thing is I don't want to be influenced by Catholics that do this and I don't want them speaking for me. Lately, I wonder if being on here and posting does any good whatsoever....is it helping me...is it helping anyone else? I used to learn a lot from fellow Catholics...the really spiritual ones like Jerry. Lately it seems all I hear from the people on here is scandal and I think it is hurting my faith....perhaps because I've been on the political thread too much. Perhaps it is time to take a break. I am passionate about supporting prolife and it is hard enough to hear noncatholics devalue it much less Catholics....they rationalize and redefine by saying they don't support it, so it is OK if they support someone who does support it...but it isn't and deep down we all know this.

--hide--

Cheryl, bless your heart,

The entire thread is public and I've read each post on each page of it. Merely because I didn't post anything until the fourth or fifth page doesn't mean that I hadn't read what came before.

I hope the best for you whatever you decide.

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: (Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: That is the thing, Chelsea...you haven't...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Quote:
Cheryl-409772 said:

Cheryl, bless your heart,

The entire thread is public and I've read each post on each page of it. Merely because I didn't post anything until the fourth or fifth page doesn't mean that I hadn't read what came before.

I hope the best for you whatever you decide.

--hide--

OK...my first post is on the ninth page. :) But I still read everything that came before and after.

11/30/2012 new

--hide--
Cheryl, don't let lukewarm Catholics hurt your faith. There are lot of us that know this is wrong. I guess I don't spend as much time on the politican posts because it is so depressing. And I know I just have to trust in Jesus no matter how dark it gets. Even if someday it means giving up my life (here on earth) for him. I know I need to spend more time in prayer and fasting because this is way bigger than me.

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: If you say that you think a safety net should be there, then there is little for us to bic...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

If you say that you think a safety net should be there, then there is little for us to bicker about. Do I think the Republicans would do a better job at constructing one? Not a chance. Everything the Republicans have said suggest that the want to take that safety net down and turn it over to the private sector. A case in point would be Bush's privatization plan for Social Security.

James ☺

--hide--

What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been more like a 401K plan, and we
could have had control of our contributions if I understood it correctly as was explained to me by a Judge.

12/01/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: When I was a kid, my family couldn't afford groceries at times. I'm not going t...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

When I was a kid, my family couldn't afford groceries at times. I'm not going to go into it, but our neighbors always knew when that was. Long story short, when we would get back from Mass or school or some other outting, there would always be a week's worth of groceries sitting inside the door of our house. No one said anything...and we never were certain who exactly did it.

No one complained and no one talked about it. It just happened.

Why does the government have to be involved in matters of a neighbourhood again?

--hide--

Chelsea, that is such a wonderful story. I am glad that you have such memories of kindness in your heart. I realize
life would have been hard for your family at that time, but at least you got to feel the good charity of people.

I know I can go along and see and feel so much negativity and harshness, especially in the area where I live.
Then, out of the blue, a person will go out of their way to help me when I really need it. Those simple, single
acts, rekindle ones faith in humanity, at least mine.

12/01/2012 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been more like a...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been more like a 401K plan, and we
could have had control of our contributions if I understood it correctly as was explained to me by a Judge.

--hide--
Mariannne -

NOW OBAMA WANTS YOUR 401(K) www.wnd.com
12/01/2012 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What was wrong with Bush's plan to priva...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

Mariannne -

NOW OBAMA WANTS YOUR 401(K) www.wnd.com
--hide--

Considering all the other wacky stuff on this webpage, I find it difficult to take anything listed there seriously.

Fellow wizards, most of us here attended at least some college, and presumably we had to take classes in writing and research. One of the most important things you learn in these classes is how to implicitly or explicitly seek good sources of information, and how to recognize and reject the vast amount of junk that is out there. What would anybody say here if I started quoting pro-Obama stuff (assuming it existed) from The Weekly World News?

I would suggest that we all review two excellent books by Kate L. Turabian et al. The first is A Student's Guide to Writing College Papers, and the second is A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Seventh Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers. Both books are available from Amazon.com. Turabian's books are inexpensive and well worth having.

James ☺

12/01/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been m...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

--hide--
At least then we might actually have something in retirement.

12/01/2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Cheryl et alia,Here are some suggestions for writing. Avoid run-on sentences. P...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Cheryl et alia,

Here are some suggestions for writing. Avoid run-on sentences. Please use capitalization. If you want to make accusations like "...the liberal party (dems) are far, far left now....they are supported by the communist party so enough said.", then be prepared to back up your statements with proof.

Use whitespace to make what you write more readable.

As for your comment that "The govt. should not be taxing for anything except defense....period.", do you think that we should sell the Louisiana Purchace back to France, since that had nothing to do with defense, and the money had to come from somewhere?

James ☺

--hide--
On another thread, we provided the proof...the communist paper supported Obama. We provided the link. Feel free to look it up...I don't have time. The Lousiana purchase (with a "s" not a "c"....thought I should show you your error since you like to show me mine and believe me I know I have a plethora of mistakes when typing on these informal threads as I don't care and don't have time to care about typos and grammar when I thnk you get the point) happened a long, long time ago. However, I would not have objected to the being taxed to buy more land because making our country bigger only helped in its DEFENSE.

Posts 111 - 120 of 146