Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Mariannne - NOW OBAMA WANTS YOUR 401(K) www.wnd.com
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Mariannne -

NOW OBAMA WANTS YOUR 401(K) www.wnd.com
--hide--

I should add, this is also a "those who have, but want to take from you" Government. Shameful.

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: At least then we might actually have something in retirement.
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

At least then we might actually have something in retirement.

--hide--

That is how I feel also.

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: Here is part of the problem as it is being ord...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Here is part of the problem as it is being ordered up for us to pay:

peterseanesq.blogspot.com

I think my favorite line from this video so far is about how I don't feel a sense of gratitude but a sense of entitlement and I feel like you should have given me seven sentences rather than one! When one gives freely versus being forced or coersed to give there is a difference in attitude in the receiving.

Believe it or not...it trickles down into everything! We see it in how the kids refuse to work in school and how they expect grades to be given to them now. We see it everywhere.

--hide--
I think my favorite line from this video so far is about how I don't feel a sense of gratitude but a sense of entitlement and I feel like you should have given me seven sandwiches rather than one! When one gives freely versus being forced or coersed to give there is a difference in attitude in the receiving.

How in the world I typed seven "sentences" instead of 'sandwiches" in my first post is beyond me....perhaps I am multitasking and typing too fast after all....though I still say most my post are still understandable despite the attempt at distraction by James.

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: I can appreciate your frustration with abuses of entitlement money, but please don'...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

I can appreciate your frustration with abuses of entitlement money, but please don't lump Social Security in there (although I don't think it was your intent, and least I hope not). Social Security is something I've paid for directly, with over 15% of my income during my whole worklife (including my employers' contributions) and I most certainly hope to be able to collect back on that investment 10 years from now.

Are you saying that there should be no welfare or other govenrnment assistance programs of any kind? Even temporary help for those who run into unfortunate circumstances, or any form of assistance for those who are disabled to the extent that they truly cannot work?

Do you, or anyone else, have any suggestions on how to deter or prevent people from misusing the entitlement money that they receive?

--hide--

I am glad you posted that, Michael. Because people think that Social Security is an entitlement. It is not. It is an
insurance plan or a retirement plan, but not entitlement. I bet you paid over 15 percent of your gross income into the plan.
It should have been put into the trust and earned money, especially during the good year of the stock market.

The Government puts out un-truths about Social Security being an Entitlement and those who just chant because they
want what you have believe the myth.

I think those who suspect fraud in Entitlement programs, especially at the consumer end, should be reporting it.

This is all turning into one big mess and hard working Americans (like yourself) are going to loose out.

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: I didn't say they were. It seems to me that you do not have a good grasp of st...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

I didn't say they were.

It seems to me that you do not have a good grasp of statistics and the way studies are done. Let me tell you a true story. Once upon a time, there was an American university that had a little problem. The female graduate applicants were complaining of sexual discrimination in admissions. Of course, universities were starting to take this sort of thing very seriously, and they could have faced a significant liability, if the students' claims were true. So a study was set up to analyze the situation. It turned out that the female graduate applicants were applying disproportionately to majors that were notoriously hard to get into (English and psychology were a couple of those majors, if memory serves correctly). The male graduate applicants were applying to majors that were relatively "easy" to get into (the sciences), which attracted few females. It turned out that if anything, it was the males who were being discriminated against. Being gentlemen, they did not file a lawsuit.

The moral of this true story is that you cannot rely on anectotal evidence to make your point.

James ☺

--hide--

I don't think you should have called the evidence "anectotal." I think you should have said the complaints were bogus
based on an analysis of the situation. Just because they were not getting in and just because they were complaining,
does not make it evidence.

Dec 1st 2012 new
(Quote) James-17080 said: Considering all the other wacky stuff on this webpage, I find it difficult to take anything listed there...

Considering all the other wacky stuff on this webpage, I find it difficult to take anything listed there seriously.

Fellow wizards, most of us here attended at least some college, and presumably we had to take classes in writing and research. One of the most important things you learn in these classes is how to implicitly or explicitly seek good sources of information, and how to recognize and reject the vast amount of junk that is out there. What would anybody say here if I started quoting pro-Obama stuff (assuming it existed) from The Weekly World News?

I would suggest that we all review two excellent books by Kate L. Turabian et al. The first is A Student's Guide to Writing College Papers, and the second is A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Seventh Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers. Both books are available from Amazon.com. Turabian's books are inexpensive and well worth having.

James ☺

--hide--
Dec 1st 2012 new
(Quote) James-17080 said: (Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: W...

Quote:
Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been more like a 401K plan, and we
could have had control of our contributions if I understood it correctly as was explained to me by a Judge.

Mariannne -

Considering all the other wacky stuff on this webpage, I find it difficult to take anything listed there seriously.

Fellow wizards, most of us here attended at least some college, and presumably we had to take classes in writing and research. One of the most important things you learn in these classes is how to implicitly or explicitly seek good sources of information, and how to recognize and reject the vast amount of junk that is out there. What would anybody say here if I started quoting pro-Obama stuff (assuming it existed) from The Weekly World News?

I would suggest that we all review two excellent books by Kate L. Turabian et al. The first is A Student's Guide to Writing College Papers, and the second is A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Seventh Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers. Both books are available from Amazon.com. Turabian's books are inexpensive and well worth having.

James ☺

--hide--
Typical diversionary tactic. That link provides references and sub-links to its sources (National Seniors Council/White House Budget Proposals/Retirement USA/Pension Rights Center). People are free to read, research, and come to their own conclusions. Please, do send your amazon recommendations rolling eyes to the National Seniors Council and all conservative reporters who are forewarning the public.

"Since President Obama first came into office his Administration has made no secret of its desire to overhaul the way Americans save for retirement. This new National Retirement System will force virtually all Americans into government-run Guaranteed Retirement Accounts and do away with private retirement accounts entirely. Congressional Democrats held hearings on this very issue in 2008, an alliance of labor unions and left-wing groups have founded Retirement USA, a non-profit lobbying group, and legislation limiting the ability of individuals to control their private savings is currently pending before Congress."

..."We urge all Americans who oppose this new National Retirement System scheme to sign our online petition seniorscouncil.activistmanager.com and to contact their representatives in Congress. While the confiscation of private savings will not happen tomorrow, the Administration is laying the groundwork for this scheme right now by attempting to limit the ability of all Americans to take care of themselves and save for their futures independent of the federal government." www.nationalseniorscouncil.org

nationalseniorscouncil.org
Dec 1st 2012 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Charles: That was interesting. I saw on the stipulations for store owner, that they may not charge...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Charles: That was interesting. I saw on the stipulations for store owner, that they may not charge sales tax
on any purchases that paid for by SNAP. Well, candy and soda can be bought with the SNAP cards and in
NY at least, they are taxed.

I wonder how they control those transactions at the supermarket. Maybe they back out the sales tax before
the card is swiped. Very interesting.

--hide--

Wait....do you mean that the merchant cannot charge tax, and also is not liable to pay it, or that the merchant cannot charge tax but still has to pay it to the government out of their profits?
Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: Wait....do you mean that the merchant cannot charge tax, and also is not liable to pay it, or tha...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

Wait....do you mean that the merchant cannot charge tax, and also is not liable to pay it, or that the merchant cannot charge tax but still has to pay it to the government out of their profits?
--hide--

Paul: It is my understanding after reading the information, that any sales made with food stamp payments are not to be taxed.
Since candy, and soda and maybe even chocolate milk are usually taxed, that means that if the consumer uses his SNAP card, the
sales tax cannot be charged.

In NYS you only have to "hand over the sales tax that you collected" from the consumer. I do not think that the grocer will
be liable for the sales tax. No sales tax was collected.

I think that is the question you have asked.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: (Quote) Mary-486033 said: (Quote)
(Quote) Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
James-17080 said:

Quote:
Mary-486033 said:
Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been more like a 401K plan, and we
could have had control of our contributions if I understood it correctly as was explained to me by a Judge.

Mariannne -

James ☺

Typical diversionary tactic. That link provides references and sub-links to its sources (National Seniors Council/White House Budget Proposals/Retirement USA/Pension Rights Center). People are free to read, research, and come to their own conclusions. Please, do send your amazon recommendations to the National Seniors Council and all conservative reporters who are forewarning the public.

"Since President Obama first came into office his Administration has made no secret of its desire to overhaul the way Americans save for retirement. This new National Retirement System will force virtually all Americans into government-run Guaranteed Retirement Accounts and do away with private retirement accounts entirely. Congressional Democrats held hearings on this very issue in 2008, an alliance of labor unions and left-wing groups have founded Retirement USA, a non-profit lobbying group, and legislation limiting the ability of individuals to control their private savings is currently pending before Congress."

..."We urge all Americans who oppose this new National Retirement System scheme to sign our online petition seniorscouncil.activistmanager.com and to contact their representatives in Congress. While the confiscation of private savings will not happen tomorrow, the Administration is laying the groundwork for this scheme right now by attempting to limit the ability of all Americans to take care of themselves and save for their futures independent of the federal government." www.nationalseniorscouncil.org

nationalseniorscouncil.org
--hide--

Gee, does this blow our chances for a date? wink

Nay, it is not a "typical diversionary tactic". I don't do that sort of thing. Maybe you can explain to us what happened to the stock market in 2008, and what would have happened to seniors if they had their money invested in the stock market.

Whilst you're thinking about that, please take a look at

www.sourcewatch.org

James ☺

Posts 131 - 140 of 146