Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: (Quote) Marirose-887295 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said:
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Quote:
Marirose-887295 said:

Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been more like a 401K plan, and we
could have had control of our contributions if I understood it correctly as was explained to me by a Judge.

At least then we might actually have something in retirement.

Yes, because we could invest it. Actually, I just think it should be up to the people to decide. I really felt a lot safer when I thought a business man would be running things rather than someone with no experience at anything except taking govt. money.

--hide--

And you think we don't invest in Social Security? Both Social Security taxes and Medicare taxes are taken out of your paycheck. Even if you are on Social Security and Medicare, you still have to pay Medicare Taxes. Medicare isn't a freebie for anyone.

James ☺

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: And you think we don't invest in Social Security? Both Social Security taxes and Medic...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

And you think we don't invest in Social Security? Both Social Security taxes and Medicare taxes are taken out of your paycheck. Even if you are on Social Security and Medicare, you still have to pay Medicare Taxes. Medicare isn't a freebie for anyone.

James ☺

--hide--

I don't think you call it "paying Medicare Taxes" once you are on Medicare. Everyone on Medicare now has a fixed deduction
from their Social Security check to contribute to their Medicare Insurance. On top of that, if one is on straight Medicare, they
would pay 20 percent of their pre-arranged doctor or medical bill.

Since anyone on Medicare pays the same amount, I would not call it a tax.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Gee, does this blow our chances for a date? Nay, it is not a "typical diversi...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Gee, does this blow our chances for a date?

Nay, it is not a "typical diversionary tactic". I don't do that sort of thing. Maybe you can explain to us what happened to the stock market in 2008, and what would have happened to seniors if they had their money invested in the stock market.

Whilst you're thinking about that, please take a look at

www.sourcewatch.org

James ☺

--hide--

That is a good point you have made, James. What about the times the stock market chews up your investments?

There are two factors involved. First of all, only about 40 percent of the total alloted for Social Security would have gone to
the receipient to invest. That I remember from when Bush was Prtesident. Uncle Sam still has the other 60 percent to
watch. faint

Secondly, Social Security goes through this every decade or so. One hears how Social Security will be bankrupt soon. Well,
then it turns out to be fine.

If one has over 15 percent total of their salary contributed to the Social Security Trust over their lifetime--which could turn
out to be 40, 45 or even 50 years, then no one should begrudge them that money.

Not sure what your reference was, because it did not have a title.

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: And you think we don't invest in ...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

James ☺

I don't think you call it "paying Medicare Taxes" once you are on Medicare. Everyone on Medicare now has a fixed deduction
from their Social Security check to contribute to their Medicare Insurance. On top of that, if one is on straight Medicare, they
would pay 20 percent of their pre-arranged doctor or medical bill.

Since anyone on Medicare pays the same amount, I would not call it a tax.

--hide--

Taxes, premiums, whatever. You still have to pay for Medicare, even if you are on Social Security and Medicare, unless you elect not to enroll in Medicare.

James ☺

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: What was wrong with Bush's pl...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

What was wrong with Bush's plan to privatize Social Security. It would have been more like a 401K plan, and we
could have had control of our contributions if I understood it correctly as was explained to me by a Judge.

At least then we might actually have something in retirement.

--hide--

If SS is completely privatized, and the Stock Market crashes again, millions of people won't have jack beans.

Wizards here seem to have a hard time grasping this.

James ☺

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: Gee, does this blow our chances for a...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

Gee, does this blow our chances for a date?

Nay, it is not a "typical diversionary tactic". I don't do that sort of thing. Maybe you can explain to us what happened to the stock market in 2008, and what would have happened to seniors if they had their money invested in the stock market.

Whilst you're thinking about that, please take a look at

www.sourcewatch.org

James ☺

That is a good point you have made, James. What about the times the stock market chews up your investments?

There are two factors involved. First of all, only about 40 percent of the total alloted for Social Security would have gone to
the receipient to invest. That I remember from when Bush was Prtesident. Uncle Sam still has the other 60 percent to
watch.

Secondly, Social Security goes through this every decade or so. One hears how Social Security will be bankrupt soon. Well,
then it turns out to be fine.

If one has over 15 percent total of their salary contributed to the Social Security Trust over their lifetime--which could turn
out to be 40, 45 or even 50 years, then no one should begrudge them that money.

Not sure what your reference was, because it did not have a title.

--hide--

The only thing I heard was that Bush wanted to privatize Social Security. "Privatize" means an individual is in charge of his or her own investments, unless there is some alternative definition that I'm not aware of. How many people know anything about the stock market? How many people know anything about finance in general?

I agree, if you paid into Social Security, you should get it back when you retire or if you become disabled.

James ☺

Posts 141 - 146 of 146