Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

If someone is highly allergic to the incense used at Mass and they did not realize until they were at Mass it would be used what is the proper protocol to use? I do apologize if this question has been previously addressed.
Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: If someone is highly allergic to the incense used at Mass and they did not realize until they were at Ma...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: If someone is highly allergic to the incense used at Mass and they did not realize until they were at Mass it would be used what is the proper protocol to use? I do apologize if this question has been previously addressed.
--hide--

They should leave and seek medical treatment if necessary. If the symptoms are not too severe and there is a separate cry room, it may be possible for them to remain in the cry room for the remainder of Mass. If the Mass is one of obligation, they should try to attend another Mass, if possible.

If the reaction were a true allergy or respiratory problem, as opposed to an annoyance in response to the odor, and they miss Mass, it would not be a sin because of the illness (the same as when one is ill before Mass and cannot attend).

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: If someone is highly allergic to the incense used at Mass and they did not realize until they were at Ma...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: If someone is highly allergic to the incense used at Mass and they did not realize until they were at Mass it would be used what is the proper protocol to use? I do apologize if this question has been previously addressed.
--hide--
Well, Brenda -- there's no shortage of things that affect allergies that some people have. It can be flowers, perfume, after-shave, certain fabrics, and, you name it. Incense is no exception.

Most people can tolerate incense even though it results in a mild reaction, such as some coughing. This is typically not an allergic reaction. There are people who are extremely sensitive to incense and a reaction can be severe. Some Churches have regular occasions when incense is used and these can be pre-determined. Funerals, and Masses of Rememberance are among them. People with allergy problems can attend Mass at a different time.

In the situation you mention, someone did NOT realize incense was going to be used at that Mass. If a person has a true allergy to it, there would be no problem leaving the main area of the Church. People aren't expected to jeapordize their medical conditions at Mass. If there's a separate room, such as a family room, that is divided from the main worship area, a person might be comfortable in there, providing the door is kept closed. Our Church has an ushers' room that can be closed; however, anyone in it can't view the Mass, but can hear the sound via the built-in speaker system. Communion can be brought to these people to avoid chance of exposure. Occasionally people have had to step outside for awhile until the air clears. In some extreme cases, the people opted to leave because of their level of sensitivity.

My off-the-cuff opinion is that if a person must leave Mass because of extreme sensitivity, attending Mass elsewhere at a different time would be an option. If this is not possible because of distance or lack of any other Mass being said, I believe the person would have a legitimate reason for not attending the remainder of the Mass and would therefore be excused from the obligation.

As an alternative, a person can attend one of the daily Masses if possible, or else do something special in the line of penance. It would be wise to report the situation to the pastor or parish priest for any advice he might be able to offer.

What we don't want to see is someone trying to tough it out, be heroic, then end up in an emergency situation. This puts the person in danger, plus can create a disturbance. An unintended disturbance is minor by comparison, but is something to be considered. In those situations, we always wish the person who suspected a problem happening would leave the area, come back to a more private area where the situation can be dealt with before it becomes an emergency. We understand some things can't be helped, but we don't want to see people put themselves at risk.

Hope these thoughts are helpful to you.

Nov 14th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: They should leave and seek medical treatment if necessary. If the symptoms are not too se...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

They should leave and seek medical treatment if necessary. If the symptoms are not too severe and there is a separate cry room, it may be possible for them to remain in the cry room for the remainder of Mass. If the Mass is one of obligation, they should try to attend another Mass, if possible.

If the reaction were a true allergy or respiratory problem, as opposed to an annoyance in response to the odor, and they miss Mass, it would not be a sin because of the illness (the same as when one is ill before Mass and cannot attend).

--hide--
What he said. I was typing a response but was interupted and didn't notice your reply, Jerry. At least yours was shorter. Your suggestions and advice would be good to follow in this situation.

Nov 14th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: They should leave and seek medical treatment if necessary. If the symptoms are not too severe an...

--hide--

Thanks Jerry, I had actually forgotten last time it was used heavily I wound up in the Doctors office with respiratory problems so it was not until I started having symptoms later that I figured it out. I will be going to the Doctor if my self medication doesn't work today. I ended up with bronchitis after Easter Vigel Mass and even with medication it took a couple of weeks to recover. I am hoping not to get that bad this time.
Nov 14th 2012 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: What he said. I was typing a response but was interupted and didn't notice your reply, Jerry. At least yours ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

What he said. I was typing a response but was interupted and didn't notice your reply, Jerry. At least yours was shorter. Your suggestions and advice would be good to follow in this situation.

--hide--

Thanks Ray, I had a feeling I could find answers here and I asked the question publically on purpose in case others needed an answer as well.
Nov 14th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: They should leave and seek medical treatment if necessary. If the symptoms are not too severe an...

--hide--

I really was not as concerned over whether or not it would be a sin to leave Mass as much as I wondered if it would be permissible to wear one of those masks like someone would wear to prevent the spread of germs.....this was not the first time I had a reaction to the incense used during Mass and I am quite sure it won't be my last because I love going to Mass and I sometimes visit Catholic Churches in other towns while traveling. I will just remember to keep my supply of benedryl handy in case I have a reaction.
Nov 14th 2012 new

--hide--

I have this problem. I try to always have benedryl with me and my inhaler. Even with these along, I often have to leave. I also try to sit near the back and near a door. The incense is often (but not always) heavier near the front. Sitting by the door sometimes allows for small breathes of fresh air.

Unfortunatly I have caused a scene when it has set off my athsma/allergies. It is not always possible to slip out quietly. I was at a funeral (my great-uncles) The priest was very heavy handed with the incense. I was stuck in the middle of the pew with elderly reletives on either side. I had to crawl across the seat in order to get out while having an athsma attack.

If you know ahead of time that incense will be used or you know that a particular priest uses it heavily, you can plan ahead to avoid exposure. If you are caught by surprise, then I would suggest removing yourself as quickly and quietly as possible to avoid a full out reaction.

Nov 15th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I really was not as concerned over whether or not it would be a sin to leave Mass as much as I w...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I really was not as concerned over whether or not it would be a sin to leave Mass as much as I wondered if it would be permissible to wear one of those masks like someone would wear to prevent the spread of germs.....this was not the first time I had a reaction to the incense used during Mass and I am quite sure it won't be my last because I love going to Mass and I sometimes visit Catholic Churches in other towns while traveling. I will just remember to keep my supply of benedryl handy in case I have a reaction.
--hide--
Be careful, Brenda!!! If you have a true allergy to incense, be aware that the reaction might not always be predictable. In some instances nothing might happen. This presents a false sense of security. On the other hand, people's reaction can be more severe during a recurrence.

For some reactions, Benadryl works fine. You might want to ask your doctor about your problem during your next exam. If Benadryl is deemed to be consistently reliable, then you need not be as concerned.

A mask can be helpful if it is adequate to filter out the problematic particulates. One of the best is a surgical mask. Consider that medical personnel use them and they are effective. The hardware store variety dust masks probably aren't up the task.

Nov 15th 2012 new
(Quote) Angela-893980 said: I have this problem. I try to always have benedryl with me and my inhaler. Even with these along, I ...
(Quote) Angela-893980 said:

I have this problem. I try to always have benedryl with me and my inhaler. Even with these along, I often have to leave. I also try to sit near the back and near a door. The incense is often (but not always) heavier near the front. Sitting by the door sometimes allows for small breathes of fresh air.

Unfortunatly I have caused a scene when it has set off my athsma/allergies. It is not always possible to slip out quietly. I was at a funeral (my great-uncles) The priest was very heavy handed with the incense. I was stuck in the middle of the pew with elderly reletives on either side. I had to crawl across the seat in order to get out while having an athsma attack.

If you know ahead of time that incense will be used or you know that a particular priest uses it heavily, you can plan ahead to avoid exposure. If you are caught by surprise, then I would suggest removing yourself as quickly and quietly as possible to avoid a full out reaction.

--hide--

I am still in the midst of dealing with my reaction, I do thank you for your comments. My friends here tried to get me to go to the Doctor yesterday and I promised them if I wasn't better today I would call. So I will be talking to him later, the symptoms you describe are what I am dealing with. It is allergy induced asthma, since I first started dealing with allergies years ago I have learned to calm myself by praying the rosary or other prayers and that in addition to the medicines usually helps my symptoms. When I first started having more severe reactions I would get panicked when I couldn't breathe, but now I use a combination of medicines and prayer to deal with my problems.....thank you Angela for your comments.
Posts 1 - 10 of 22