Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

11/15/2012 new
(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Be careful, Brenda!!! If you have a true allergy to incense, be aware that the reaction might not always be predi...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Be careful, Brenda!!! If you have a true allergy to incense, be aware that the reaction might not always be predictable. In some instances nothing might happen. This presents a false sense of security. On the other hand, people's reaction can be more severe during a recurrence.

For some reactions, Benadryl works fine. You might want to ask your doctor about your problem during your next exam. If Benadryl is deemed to be consistently reliable, then you need not be as concerned.

A mask can be helpful if it is adequate to filter out the problematic particulates. One of the best is a surgical mask. Consider that medical personnel use them and they are effective. The hardware store variety dust masks probably aren't up the task.

--hide--

Thanks Ray! And I do try to only use over the counter stuff to combat initial symptoms because when my body is in reaction mode I tend to react to most medicines. In fact I am actually allergic to Allegra....when my reaction mode is triggered I may have reactions to other things....and typically my reactions to the other things are worse than the original problem. I will try to get some of the medical masks to keep with me in case I am at a visiting church and they use incense. I realize it may nit be proper but my Parish Priest is aware of several with severe allergies so he try's not to stir up the incense as much when he says Mass during Holy Week......since we have several elderly with sensitivities they do appreciate that fact.
11/26/2012 new

I am sorry you are allergic to incense, but this must be a growing movement within Catholic Churches. Only our 10am Mass on Sunday has incense and even that has been cut down over the past few months. I have to tell you I miss it, it relaxed me! I am thinking about asking for alittle of it so I can burn it at home...LOL! jan

11/26/2012 new

My friend is highly allergic and asthmatic.. She leaves as soon as the incense comes out.

11/26/2012 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: My friend is highly allergic and asthmatic.. She leaves as soon as the incense comes out.
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

My friend is highly allergic and asthmatic.. She leaves as soon as the incense comes out.

--hide--

I don't particularly enjoy the allergy induced asthma symptoms but I find that if I can find ways of staying at Mass I will. I put my faith in God that he will help me recover should I find myself in a situation where I get ill due to the incense. I tend to offer up my symptoms as penance. I have found the older I get that my symptoms do get more severe. While at mass I try to focus on the service not on the fact that I will get sick from the incense..... scratchchin
11/26/2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I don't particularly enjoy the allergy induced asthma symptoms but I find that if I can find...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I don't particularly enjoy the allergy induced asthma symptoms but I find that if I can find ways of staying at Mass I will. I put my faith in God that he will help me recover should I find myself in a situation where I get ill due to the incense. I tend to offer up my symptoms as penance. I have found the older I get that my symptoms do get more severe. While at mass I try to focus on the service not on the fact that I will get sick from the incense.....
--hide--

I'm sorry..But as a nurse, I just find the concept of 'offering up your symptoms as a penance' to be just plain WRONG.. Is that what you're going to tell them when you're on your way to the hospital in an ambulance? This is your health you're talking about here..And the inconvenience of everyone around you should you get REALLY sick from it.

11/26/2012 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: I'm sorry..But as a nurse, I just find the concept of 'offering up your symp...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I'm sorry..But as a nurse, I just find the concept of 'offering up your symptoms as a penance' to be just plain WRONG.. Is that what you're going to tell them when you're on your way to the hospital in an ambulance? This is your health you're talking about here..And the inconvenience of everyone around you should you get REALLY sick from it.

--hide--

That actually is why I started asking questions on here. My Doctor sort of gave me a reality check when I got back from Phoenix. He said I should have politely excused myself when I first noticed my symptoms. So I decided to try to figure out how to handle the predicament next time.....
11/27/2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: (Quote) Ray-566531 said: Be careful, Brenda!!! If you have a true allergy to ince...
Quote:
Ray-566531 said:

Be careful, Brenda!!! If you have a true allergy to incense, be aware that the reaction might not always be predictable. In some instances nothing might happen. This presents a false sense of security. On the other hand, people's reaction can be more severe during a recurrence.

For some reactions, Benadryl works fine. You might want to ask your doctor about your problem during your next exam. If Benadryl is deemed to be consistently reliable, then you need not be as concerned.

A mask can be helpful if it is adequate to filter out the problematic particulates. One of the best is a surgical mask. Consider that medical personnel use them and they are effective. The hardware store variety dust masks probably aren't up the task.

Thanks Ray! And I do try to only use over the counter stuff to combat initial symptoms because when my body is in reaction mode I tend to react to most medicines. In fact I am actually allergic to Allegra....when my reaction mode is triggered I may have reactions to other things....and typically my reactions to the other things are worse than the original problem. I will try to get some of the medical masks to keep with me in case I am at a visiting church and they use incense. I realize it may nit be proper but my Parish Priest is aware of several with severe allergies so he try's not to stir up the incense as much when he says Mass during Holy Week......since we have several elderly with sensitivities they do appreciate that fact.
--hide--

Hi Brenda et alia,

Brenda, you also should strongly consider discussing this with your doctor. You didn't mention what kind of problems you were having, but keep in mind that reactions can range from irritating to life-threatening. And wearing a surgical mask will not help.

Not to toot my horn or anything, but take that from a true expert.

James ☺

11/28/2012 new

Brenda,

Benadryl can be great at times for allergic reactions but some forms of it can impair your driving ability. It can actually make you sleepy. Please be careful if you use it.

Eloise

11/28/2012 new
(Quote) Eloise-899090 said: Brenda,Benadryl can be great at times for allergic reactions but some forms of it can impair your driv...
(Quote) Eloise-899090 said:

Brenda,

Benadryl can be great at times for allergic reactions but some forms of it can impair your driving ability. It can actually make you sleepy. Please be careful if you use it.

Eloise

--hide--

Hi Eloise,

I wasn't actually driving when I took it last time, I know that I can usually get by taking one without being impaired. Thankfully that usually does the trick...but yes I always ask someone else to drive if I feel like it has slowed my reflexes or I have to drive anywhere right away. Thanks Brenda
12/03/2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Hi Eloise, I wasn't actually driving when I took it last time, I know that I can usu...

Hi Eloise,

I wasn't actually driving when I took it last time, I know that I can usually get by taking one without being impaired. Thankfully that usually does the trick...but yes I always ask someone else to drive if I feel like it has slowed my reflexes or I have to drive anywhere right away. Thanks Brenda
--hide--

My experience is that wearing a mask doesn't stop the reactions from happening. I also do not get relief from using benedryl if it reaches a full blown athsma attack. I have found for me that the liquid benedryl (children's) gets in my system much faster than the pills. Unfortunately a bottle does not last long when used for adult doses.
Plus it is not a sin to get up and walk out or miss mass due to health reasons.

Posts 11 - 20 of 22