Be careful, Brenda!!! If you have a true allergy to incense, be aware that the reaction might not always be predictable. In some instances nothing might happen. This presents a false sense of security. On the other hand, people's reaction can be more severe during a recurrence.
For some reactions, Benadryl works fine. You might want to ask your doctor about your problem during your next exam. If Benadryl is deemed to be consistently reliable, then you need not be as concerned.
A mask can be helpful if it is adequate to filter out the problematic particulates. One of the best is a surgical mask. Consider that medical personnel use them and they are effective. The hardware store variety dust masks probably aren't up the task.
Thanks Ray! And I do try to only use over the counter stuff to combat initial symptoms because when my body is in reaction mode I tend to react to most medicines. In fact I am actually allergic to Allegra....when my reaction mode is triggered I may have reactions to other things....and typically my reactions to the other things are worse than the original problem. I will try to get some of the medical masks to keep with me in case I am at a visiting church and they use incense. I realize it may nit be proper but my Parish Priest is aware of several with severe allergies so he try's not to stir up the incense as much when he says Mass during Holy Week......since we have several elderly with sensitivities they do appreciate that fact.