Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

11/19/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said: In your case Donna, you'd need an annulment, lack of form, I believe because you di...
(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said:

In your case Donna, you'd need an annulment, lack of form, I believe because you didn't have a sacramental marriage (in the church), so in essence, unless you get that annulment you are not free to marry (in the church, which is what that question is about) whether one is free to marry in the church, a sacramental marriage.

--hide--

Thank you Jacqueline. I have contacted our local Tribunal and am hoping to be able to get back on the right track in every way that is pleasing to our Lord.

theheart

12/04/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said: I'd like to think that if a person who has previously been married and has no inten...

I'd like to think that if a person who has previously been married and has no intentions of ever re-marrying an is a member on here, for them to be specific about it and honest, seeking friendship only, or companionship etc....stating less than that can be misleading, in my honest opinion.

--hide--

I have heard back from the Deacon in my parish and I am meeting with him next Wednesday to start the process. I am really looking forward to being able to answer that question with a YES. I was talking to a friend at work about it and he said, "that's great, but in todays day and age where would you find someone who is free to marry in the church" and my response was " I don't have to FIND him, the Lord knows who he is because he has been praying for me, I just need to get my feet in motion so he does not have to keep waiting....whomever he is". LOL

12/04/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said:whether one is free to marry in the church, a sacramental marriage.

whether one is free to marry in the church, a sacramental marriage.

--hide--

There is not necessarily a direct correspondence between the two: if at least one spouse was not a baptized Christian the marriage will not be sacramental, but it may be valid and thus the parties will not be free to marry in the Church.

A sacramental marriage may exist only between two baptized Christians; a valid marriage (i.e., one that is not subject to a decree of nullity) may exist between any two persons, regardless of their faith or baptismal status.

When both spouses are baptized Christians a valid marriage is sacramental, and a sacramental marriage is valid.

12/09/2012 new

Actually, If you are a catholic, but not married in the church, you need a defect of form. It states the information about your marriage and a note is put on your baptismal certificate, but it does not take very long. An annulment takes much longer. If you are in doubt, see your priest the form is very easy and then you will definitely be YES

12/18/2012 new

I hope I typed it all in correctly, but I had questions about what needs to be done in case you meet somebody, either on this site, on another site or somewhere else. This is the document the deacon gave me. These still might not cover all cases, but as always contact your local clergy for more clarification.

1. If a Catholic and another baptized person marry in the Catholic church, a formal annulment process is required.

2. If a Catholic and another baptized person marry anywhere else with dispensation from form granted by the bishop,
a formal annulment process is required.

3. If a Catholic and another baptized person marry anywhere else without dispensation, the process based on lack of form
is used.

4. If a Catholic and unbaptized person marry in the Catholic church, a formal annulment process or the Petrine Privilege (also called Favor of the Faith) may be used.

5. If a Catholic and unbaptized person marry anywhere else with dispensation from the bishop, either the formal annulment process or
the Petrine Privilege is used.

6. If a Catholic and unbaptized person marry anywhere else without dispensation, the process based on lack of form
may be used.

7. If two baptized persons who are not Catholic marry anywhere, the formal annulment process is required.

8. If two baptized persons who marry, and either was previously married without an anullment, the process of Ligamen is utilized.

9. If a baptized person who is not Catholic and an unbaptized person marry anywhere, either the formal annulment process or
Petrine Privilege is used.

10. If two unbaptized persons marry anywhere, either the formal annulment process or Pauline Privilege is used.

12/18/2012 new

(Quote) Leigh-893114 said: Actually, If you are a catholic, but not married in the church, you need a defec...
(Quote) Leigh-893114 said:

Actually, If you are a catholic, but not married in the church, you need a defect of form. It states the information about your marriage and a note is put on your baptismal certificate, but it does not take very long. An annulment takes much longer. If you are in doubt, see your priest the form is very easy and then you will definitely be YES

--hide--

At the time of the marriage at least one spouse had to be Catholic and there must have been no dispensation for the lack of canonical form.

12/19/2012 new

(Quote) Pete-766241 said: I hope I typed it all in correctly, but I had questions about what needs to be done in case you me...
(Quote) Pete-766241 said:

I hope I typed it all in correctly, but I had questions about what needs to be done in case you meet somebody, either on this site, on another site or somewhere else. This is the document the deacon gave me. These still might not cover all cases, but as always contact your local clergy for more clarification.

1. If a Catholic and another baptized person marry in the Catholic church, a formal annulment process is required.

2. If a Catholic and another baptized person marry anywhere else with dispensation from form granted by the bishop,
a formal annulment process is required.

3. If a Catholic and another baptized person marry anywhere else without dispensation, the process based on lack of form
is used.

4. If a Catholic and unbaptized person marry in the Catholic church, a formal annulment process or the Petrine Privilege (also called Favor of the Faith) may be used.

5. If a Catholic and unbaptized person marry anywhere else with dispensation from the bishop, either the formal annulment process or
the Petrine Privilege is used.

6. If a Catholic and unbaptized person marry anywhere else without dispensation, the process based on lack of form
may be used.

7. If two baptized persons who are not Catholic marry anywhere, the formal annulment process is required.

8. If two baptized persons who marry, and either was previously married without an anullment, the process of Ligamen is utilized.

9. If a baptized person who is not Catholic and an unbaptized person marry anywhere, either the formal annulment process or
Petrine Privilege is used.

10. If two unbaptized persons marry anywhere, either the formal annulment process or Pauline Privilege is used.

--hide--

All the detail makes this unnecessarily complicated: the marriage tribunal will evaluate the details of the situation and decide which process is most appropriate.

The important thing to understand is that any person who has been married previously in any forum, regardless of their current faith or whether or not they were baptized or Catholic at the time of the marriage, requires an official determination from the Church that they are free to marry in the Church before they are able to do so unless their previous spouse(s) is (are) now deceased.

The determination may be a decree of nullity (annulment), either after a full examination or for lack of form (if appropriate); a determination by the local ordinary or his designee that they meet the requirements for exercise of the Pauline privilege; or a dissolution by the Roman Pontiff. The tribunal will figure out which applies for each case.

The lack of form process can be used only when: (a) at least one spouse was Catholic at the time of the marriage; (b) canonical form was not observed in the celebration of the marriage (celebrated before the local ordinary, pastor, or a delegated priest or deacon with at least two additional witnesses); and (c) dispensation was not obtained; and (d) none of the limited exceptions apply.

12/19/2012 new

I have seen a few profiles that give their marital status as "Annulled", and to the question of "Free To Marry" it says "unsure". That combination does not make sense to me, especially if the person is on CM. Annulled basically means you are free to marry... or am I really missing something here????

(Quote) Sharon-816628 said: What does it mean when someone answers that question with UNSURE? And why would someone who answ...
(Quote) Sharon-816628 said:

What does it mean when someone answers that question with UNSURE? And why would someone who answers that question with NO be on this site? I do not understand.

--hide--

12/20/2012 new

I cannot answer this question for anyone else but me. My story is a complicated one - and one that would probably bore most people. I am single and just returned to the Catholic faith after being way for way too many years. My marriage in the church was 33 years ago,the divorce was 32 years ago and I cannot count how many moves ago. I have talked with a priest about my situation. The people that were in my life at that time are either deceased (Dad, Mom, Sister) or I have had not contact with due to relocations. I am working through many things and the annulment is one of them. I am in prayer about His will in this matter. This has this has been a difficult year for me. I enjoy the forums, praying together as a family, and should the Wonderful Counselor have a divine plan to connect me with a spouse, I am open to that as well. I pray to be accepted just as I am and not as one desires me to be.

Posts 11 - 19 of 19