Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

So here's one for the theologians among us. And no I'm not making a judgment call, I'm asking a theological question.

I read a lot of material prior to the election so I don't have the exact quote or author of the quote. But basically what the priest said was that when one votes for a pro-choice (pro-abortion) candidate when another (more pro-life) alternative is available, then that person (voter) cooperates with the evil done by that pro-choice candidate if they are voted into (or voted to remain) in public office. The reason behind this is because the Church recognizes that in the case of two evils it is better to chose the one whose platform is "lesser of the 2 evils." However, the issue of life is so fundamental that it is preferable to chose a candidate that is more prolife even if his other policies are intrinsically evil than it is to chose the other candidate whose platforms are more acceptable, but they are pro-choice.

Now for the question: "Are those who voted for Obama guilty of a mortal sin (IE cooperating with the evil he promulgates via abortion)?" And if they are, shouldn't they go to confession prior to receiving the Eucharist or be guilty of another mortal sin?

I ask these questions, because I am of the opinion that when we receive the Body and Blood of our Lord in the Eucharist unworthily we bring condemnation upon ourselves. (1 Cor 11:29). I also believe that the fruits of that is a loss of faith. I am seeing a lot of people who have lost their faith.

Just wondering.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: So here's one for the theologians among us. And no I'm not making a judgment call, I'...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

So here's one for the theologians among us. And no I'm not making a judgment call, I'm asking a theological question.

I read a lot of material prior to the election so I don't have the exact quote or author of the quote. But basically what the priest said was that when one votes for a pro-choice (pro-abortion) candidate when another (more pro-life) alternative is available, then that person (voter) cooperates with the evil done by that pro-choice candidate if they are voted into (or voted to remain) in public office. The reason behind this is because the Church recognizes that in the case of two evils it is better to chose the one whose platform is "lesser of the 2 evils." However, the issue of life is so fundamental that it is preferable to chose a candidate that is more prolife even if his other policies are intrinsically evil than it is to chose the other candidate whose platforms are more acceptable, but they are pro-choice.

Now for the question: "Are those who voted for Obama guilty of a mortal sin (IE cooperating with the evil he promulgates via abortion)?" And if they are, shouldn't they go to confession prior to receiving the Eucharist or be guilty of another mortal sin?

I ask these questions, because I am of the opinion that when we receive the Body and Blood of our Lord in the Eucharist unworthily we bring condemnation upon ourselves. (1 Cor 11:29). I also believe that the fruits of that is a loss of faith. I am seeing a lot of people who have lost their faith.

Just wonder

--hide--
www.ewtn.com

Here's an EWTN website that may be of help. I'm not sure if this will provide a direct link or not.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: www.ewtn.com Here's an EWTN website that may be of help. I'...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

www.ewtn.com

Here's an EWTN website that may be of help. I'm not sure if this will provide a direct link or not.

--hide--
OK -- the link came thru just fine -- a miracle, considering my limited technical abilities....

This is a bit lengthy, but seems to be thorough and not too difficult to comprehend. Hope this helps.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: OK -- the link came thru just fine -- a miracle, considering my limited technical abilities.......
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

OK -- the link came thru just fine -- a miracle, considering my limited technical abilities....

This is a bit lengthy, but seems to be thorough and not too difficult to comprehend. Hope this helps.

--hide--

Thanks Ray, I did read it all. May post it on my FB page biggrin

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Thanks Ray, I did read it all. May post it on my FB page

Thanks Ray, I did read it all. May post it on my FB page

--hide--
Joanna -- that's gonna be a heck of a long post..... wink

Good luck. You'll probably catch some flak for it. I'm sure you're prepared.

Nov 16th 2012 new

(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: So here's one for the theologians among us. And no I'm not making a judgment call, I'...

Just wondering.

--hide--

Thanks for the Link Ray.... I think more of us Catholics need to know that it IS a mortal sin to vote for a candidate that is pro abortion.

So sad that many Catholics knowingly or unknowingly voted for President Obama ... We need to be up in arms and not let our fight against evil get us down.. I wish more priests would have told their flocks that voting for Obama would be a sin.. I wonder why they did not do that? I thought the bishops were clearly against the HHS mandate and made their voice known.. but the flock did not listen... so many Catholics voted for Obama..

Lord help us .. Praying rosary theheart

14. Is it a mortal sin to vote for a pro-abortion candidate?

Except in the case in which a voter is faced with all pro-abortion candidates (in which case, as explained in question 8 above, he or she strives to determine which of them would cause the let damage in this regard), a candidate that is pro-abortion disqualifies himself from receiving a Catholic’s vote. This is because being pro-abortion cannot simply be placed alongside the candidate's other positions on Medicare and unemployment, for example; and this is because abortion is intrinsically evil and cannot be morally justified for any reason or set of circumstances. To vote for such a candidate even with the knowledge that the candidate is pro-abortion is to become an accomplice in the moral evil of abortion. If the voter also knows this, then the voter sins mortally.

COPYRIGHT © 2002
Stephen F. Torraco

Nov 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said: Thanks for the Link Ray.... I think more of us Catholics need to know that it IS a morta...
(Quote) Kathleen-5781 said:

Thanks for the Link Ray.... I think more of us Catholics need to know that it IS a mortal sin to vote for a candidate that is pro abortion.

So sad that many Catholics knowingly or unknowingly voted for President Obama ... We need to be up in arms and not let our fight against evil get us down.. I wish more priests would have told their flocks that voting for Obama would be a sin.. I wonder why they did not do that? I thought the bishops were clearly against the HHS mandate and made their voice known.. but the flock did not listen... so many Catholics voted for Obama..

Lord help us ..

14. Is it a mortal sin to vote for a pro-abortion candidate?

Except in the case in which a voter is faced with all pro-abortion candidates (in which case, as explained in question 8 above, he or she strives to determine which of them would cause the let damage in this regard), a candidate that is pro-abortion disqualifies himself from receiving a Catholic’s vote. This is because being pro-abortion cannot simply be placed alongside the candidate's other positions on Medicare and unemployment, for example; and this is because abortion is intrinsically evil and cannot be morally justified for any reason or set of circumstances. To vote for such a candidate even with the knowledge that the candidate is pro-abortion is to become an accomplice in the moral evil of abortion. If the voter also knows this, then the voter sins mortally.

COPYRIGHT © 2002
Stephen F. Torraco

--hide--
I know there are many people who essentially have good intentions, and whose thoughts are focused upon the people who are already here; already been born. The world is full of people in genuine need. My own take on this is that if you don't have the right to be born, the rest is insignifcant by comparison. We come into the world with no guarantees. No one ever leaves this world without having had some problem or problems. Even the wealthy face their own problems -- health, for example. Even the finest of medical care can't cure them from a fatal disease or accident. Reality is often harsh. It's still no comparison to having an innocent life brutally excluded from being born.

Nov 17th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Joanna -- that's gonna be a heck of a long post..... Good luck. You'll probably catc...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Joanna -- that's gonna be a heck of a long post.....

Good luck. You'll probably catch some flak for it. I'm sure you're prepared.

--hide--

I am going to modify it and just hit the high points and provide links. My guess is that most of my FB friends did not vote for him, but you never know if that might get "borrowed" off my page and posted on someone else's.

Nov 17th 2012 new
I'd say the fact over 50 percent of self-identified Catholics voted for Obama shows just how poor catechesis and Catholics spiritual formation has been since Vatican II.
Nov 17th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: I'd say the fact over 50 percent of self-identified Catholics voted for Obama shows just how poor cat...
(Quote) John-220051 said: I'd say the fact over 50 percent of self-identified Catholics voted for Obama shows just how poor catechesis and Catholics spiritual formation has been since Vatican II.
--hide--

I agree, and the fact that some of them were priests (I know one) is even more disturbing. Well did Jesus ask, "will there be any faithful on earth." Lk 18:8

Posts 1 - 10 of 186