Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Madonna-819886 said: I only date men who try to put Jesus at the center of attention!!
(Quote) Madonna-819886 said:

I only date men who try to put Jesus at the center of attention!!

--hide--
Madonna,

Thanks for expressing your view.

It would be interesting to see how a Catholic priest would react to your remark here. I say this because I think that some of them would say that Jesus Himself knows that there is a path to Him and that even saints reach perfection only at the end of their lives. The Church says only that a person has to be a practicing Catholic without a barrier to marriage such as an existing marital bond to marry in the Church.

One of the worst people to marry is someone who thinks he is perfect or nearly perfect.

John

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Eric-114571 said: Welcome. See my post 2 or 3 above this reply. Another poster made a key distinction that t...
(Quote) Eric-114571 said:

Welcome. See my post 2 or 3 above this reply. Another poster made a key distinction that there are 2 different types of "center of attention" types. I'm referring to type #1 she pointed out.

--hide--
I agree with you that Angela made an important distinction here and I undersdtand that you are now adding that to clarify an earlier answer.

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: Madonna, Thanks for expressing your view. It would be interesting to see how a Catho...
(Quote) John-184825 said:

Madonna,

It would be interesting to see how a Catholic priest would react to your remark here. I say this because I think that some of them would say that Jesus Himself knows that there is a path to Him and that even saints reach perfection only at the end of their lives. The Church says only that a person has to be a practicing Catholic without a barrier to marriage such as an existing marital bond to marry in the Church.

One of the worst people to marry is someone who thinks he is perfect or nearly perfect.

John

--hide--
I won't put words in Madonna's mouth, but I don't see where she said anything about 'perfection', John. I read her statement to mean that she wants a man whose focus is on Jesus, who guides other people into thinking about Him, who looks to Him for an example of how to live, and is humble about it all. There are those who, while "focusing" on Jesus or "preaching" about Him, really are garnering attention to themselves--sort of "look at what a good boy am I!"

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Shirting, skirting...all dressed up & no place to go. (Wait--that's the definition of a de...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Shirting, skirting...all dressed up & no place to go. (Wait--that's the definition of a dead atheist.)

--hide--
Curt remarks are most effective when kept brief as yours here. mischievous Yep, short curts catch the most attention. shhh

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: I won't put words in Madonna's mouth, but I don't see where she said anything about &#...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

I won't put words in Madonna's mouth, but I don't see where she said anything about 'perfection', John. I read her statement to mean that she wants a man whose focus is on Jesus, who guides other people into thinking about Him, who looks to Him for an example of how to live, and is humble about it all. There are those who, while "focusing" on Jesus or "preaching" about Him, really are garnering attention to themselves--sort of "look at what a good boy am I!"

--hide--
I think that a lot of acceptably good people have not yet achieved what the Protestants call "a personal reletionship with Jesus Christ". For some people that stage happens quite late in life.

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: Madonna, Thanks for expressing your view. It would be interesting to see how a Catho...

Madonna,

John

--hide--

John, Jesus led the people to His father. He commissioned the apostles to do the same once He was gone from this earth. They were the early day priest, if you will. The husband is the priest of the family and therefore given the duty to lead his family to the Father. Why would anyone NOT want someone in their lives that wanted their salvation over worldly attention? John, I love you as a brother in Christ so please don't take offence, I am just stating an opinion, but life is short, eternity isn't. hug

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said:John, Jesus led the people to His father. He commissioned the apostles to do the same once He was...
(Quote) Donna-871766 said:

John, Jesus led the people to His father. He commissioned the apostles to do the same once He was gone from this earth. They were the early day priest, if you will. The husband is the priest of the family and therefore given the duty to lead his family to the Father. Why would anyone NOT want someone in their lives that wanted their salvation over worldly attention? John, I love you as a brother in Christ so please don't take offence, I am just stating an opinion, but life is short, eternity isn't.

--hide--
I see that you and Lina are following the Gospel message to "adminish the sinner". embarassed

One of my past work places allowed for listening to the radio at work as the labor was mostly physical. The religious programs on the air at the time were Protestant ones such as Point of View with Marlin Maddoux from Dallas, TX ( http://www.pointofview.net). I listened to the shows that were mainly cultural because in that area, as opposed to doctrine, the opinions largely agreed with Catholic views. From such programs I became very familiar with the Protestant expression, "personal relationship with Jesus Christ". What I was saying to Madonna was that a lot of people don't reach that stage early in life, but are still adequate to get married in the Catholic Church. I was also saying that I think, God gives people time to reach that stage.

Thumping my Bible, but not thumbing my nose, mischievous hug

John

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: I see that you and Lina are following the Gospel message to "adminish the sinner". <...

I see that you and Lina are following the Gospel message to "adminish the sinner".

One of my past work places allowed for listening to the radio at work as the labor was mostly physical. The religious programs on the air at the time were Protestant ones such as Point of View with Marlin Maddoux from Dallas, TX ( http://www.pointofview.net). I listened to the shows that were mainly cultural because in that area, as opposed to doctrine, the opinions largely agreed with Catholic views. From such programs I became very familiar with the Protestant expression, "personal relationship with Jesus Christ". What I was saying to Madonna was that a lot of people don't reach that stage early in life, but are still adequate to get married in the Catholic Church. I was also saying that I think, God gives people time to reach that stage.

Thumping my Bible, but not thumbing my nose,

John

But we love you John wink Thumping or thumbing because that is who you are!

--hide--

Nov 22nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-184825 said: I see that you and Lina are following the Gospel message to "adminish the sinner". <...

I see that you and Lina are following the Gospel message to "adminish the sinner".

John

--hide--

But we love you John, wink Thumping or Thumbing, because that is who you are. hug

Nov 22nd 2012 new

John

I had neither admonishment nor sinning in mind when replying to you, John. I just thought maybe you read into Madonna's reply more than she intended--but I don't know, as Madonna has yet to return to perhaps clarify her intent.

Being close to Jesus may not be something that some people achieve early in life. Some people may not achieve it later in life, either. But in choosing a mate, many prefer to have one whose beliefs are closely aligned with theirs.

--hide--

Posts 91 - 100 of 131