Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 18th 2012 new
Does anyone know an effective way to get those dreaded sweat stains out of clothes. I hear they are a chemical reaction from deodorant. So far, oxi-clean has been the best remedy, but not the perfect one. Any ideas anyone?
Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Livia-407406 said: Laundry is my favorite chore. Everything smells awesome, it's nice and warm, and you have a b...
(Quote) Livia-407406 said:

Laundry is my favorite chore. Everything smells awesome, it's nice and warm, and you have a bunch of new clothes to wear without having to stress out about it. I'm doing laundry tomorrow and I'm really excited about it.

--hide--
Like you Livia I also enjoy doing the laundry. It is my favorite chore.

Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Amber-413562 said: Oh, and vinegar in a load of laundry is great, especially for new clothes, it kills 'bugs'...
(Quote) Amber-413562 said:

Oh, and vinegar in a load of laundry is great, especially for new clothes, it kills 'bugs'. (lice, nits, cockroaches, etc) So I always drop some in a load when I have new things, and add a LOT when I get them from a used clothing store...just in case, I don't want to be bringing any 'bugs' into the house.

--hide--

Amber,

You are the only one outside of my family who I know uses vinegar in the laundry! I use vinegar in every single load of laundry. I use it in place of fabric softener. I use as much vinegar as I would fabric softener. It does kill germs and bugs and has the added benefit of removing excess detergent or soap from the clothing, leaving them extra soft and smelling nice. It is much less expensive than fabric softener and better for the environment too.

And I love to do laundry and iron and house cleaning, especially toilets, and dishes. Doesn't sound like I am a very modern gal does it?

Nov 18th 2012 new

Can't say laundry has ever given me much of a positive feeling...but I do love to decorate & "detail" the house...

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Cherie-872998 said: Amber,You are the only one outside of my family who I know uses vinegar in the l...
(Quote) Cherie-872998 said:

Amber,

You are the only one outside of my family who I know uses vinegar in the laundry! I use vinegar in every single load of laundry. I use it in place of fabric softener. I use as much vinegar as I would fabric softener. It does kill germs and bugs and has the added benefit of removing excess detergent or soap from the clothing, leaving them extra soft and smelling nice. It is much less expensive than fabric softener and better for the environment too.

And I love to do laundry and iron and house cleaning, especially toilets, and dishes. Doesn't sound like I am a very modern gal does it?

--hide--

My mom actually found it online. It also sets colors in clothes. I heart using vinegar. I use it in my hair once in a while to cut grease and it cleans the scalp, I use it in foot baths, it kills germs, fungus, and athlete's foot. It's a fantastic cheap thing to keep in the house. biggrin

Nov 19th 2012 new

I don't have a washer or dryer, so I have to go to a laundromat. Because of this, I do my laundry no more frequently than once a month. So no, I don't love doing laundry!

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Amber-413562 said: My mom actually found it online. It also sets colors in clothes. I using vinega...
(Quote) Amber-413562 said:

My mom actually found it online. It also sets colors in clothes. I using vinegar. I use it in my hair once in a while to cut grease and it cleans the scalp, I use it in foot baths, it kills germs, fungus, and athlete's foot. It's a fantastic cheap thing to keep in the house.

--hide--

WOW Amber!!! Thank you for the reminders. I don't know about anyone else fluffy cloud but I love this thread! So many tips and so many interesting at home washing rituals, techinques, preferences and ideas shared. I am amazed that so many ladies love doing certain chores like laundry but I think the feeling of cleaning and cleansing is very satisfying....I used to use vinegar on my hair and find it too makes a world of differnce on the hair! My hair is lighter in weight and more free to curl. It makes hair shiny! GOOD REMINDERS! Some people use it to clean everything- I have heard, even floors. I have both baking soda and vinegar on hand for these purposes but I have never fully explored vinegar.

I have heard that one can try baking soda and vinegar to clear a clogged drain. Together they form a cleansing explosion of foam. You can clean pennies with baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Margaret-20183 said: I don't have a washer or dryer, so I have to go to a laundromat. Because of this, I do my l...
(Quote) Margaret-20183 said:

I don't have a washer or dryer, so I have to go to a laundromat. Because of this, I do my laundry no more frequently than once a month. So no, I don't love doing laundry!

--hide--

I am so sorry Margaret. May God open the doors for you to be able to enjoy this chore soon.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Does anyone know an effective way to get those dreaded sweat stains out of clothes. I hear they are ...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: Does anyone know an effective way to get those dreaded sweat stains out of clothes. I hear they are a chemical reaction from deodorant. So far, oxi-clean has been the best remedy, but not the perfect one. Any ideas anyone?
--hide--

I am curious too. I have two shirts that have them and I thought maybe the dye was not good enough. Do you think VINEGAR could help?

Are these shirts that are dyed? or white?

Nov 20th 2012 new

Here is some of what I do when I used baking soda when I launder:

Dan, As the(cold, warm or hot) water is filling up, I add 1 cup of baking soda, and then some (liquid from Costco) soap. Then it fills and begins to agitate. I let it agitate for ...more »
As the(cold, warm or hot) water is filling up, I add 1 cup of baking soda, and then some (liquid from Costco) soap. Then it fills and begins to agitate. I let it agitate for a minute or two and soak. I let it soak as long as 20 minutes and then agitate for 2-3 minutes and soak again. I check the color of the water each time. I am watching it and I wait till the water turns black. So I may repeat this a few times as I see fit. The water should turn Literally dark (black). When it is good and dark- I figure the dirt has come out of the pores of the fabric. When the water is very dark (Maybe 40minutes into this or longer) I let the machine take the laundry through the complete cycle. Then I run it again through a complete wash cycle with just cold water set on gentle cycle. This means I do added rinsing. Does this sound like something you understand?

(I enjoy this and find the whole process to be calming)
When I do sheets and some clothes like towels. I boil water and add it to the soaking process about 10 minutes into the soak. I might boil two or three big pots of water.
You will see that when you add the boiling water to the already agitated first full load that already has some soap and baking soda, the water turns very black.

If you are washing darks, there is now Woolite for darks and this is very good. Over time in general, I have learned to use less and less soap because the baking soda is so key. ....and so is the soaking.. .....My ex boyfriend taught me about soaking.

He also taught me that for his T shirts that he would not dry them till they were totally dry because then there would be no humidity left to help with wrinkles, If you remove them before they are fully dry, you can smooth your tshirts out on the bed or a flat surface and fold them to make them smooth and wrinkle free...

Let me know how this works for you and how this all sounds to you!
Thanks for asking!!
Marian

I also wash my dishes by hand before they go into the dishwasher...I just think it is better...
Posts 41 - 50 of 77