Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

11/20/2012 new

I also wrote to Dan about sorting clothes by color and by texture. Will be back to add to this idea soon-- maybe tomorrow...

11/20/2012 new

I don't mind doing laundry at all! It's a time of cleaning, fresh clothes, drying them outside or in the dryer. I like line drying and like the sun whitening my whites!

This is a good chore for me! wave Fun topic Marian! I will try the baking soda.

11/20/2012 new
(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I am curious too. I have two shirts that have them and I thought maybe the dye was...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I am curious too. I have two shirts that have them and I thought maybe the dye was not good enough. Do you think VINEGAR could help?

Are these shirts that are dyed? or white?

--hide--

I've googled and tried a lot of different natural products, but still, none of them work great. I will stick to oxi-clean until I find something better. Try it.
11/20/2012 new

You ladies are cute. I like the way so many of you put heart into what for many would be mundane tasks. These are rituals that connect us to life. If you have to do them you may as well find a way to enjoy it rather than fight it.

When we were kids (2 Girls, 3 Boys) we each were given Saturday tasks (chores were divided....cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the bedrooms, dusting and vacuuming the living area, etc.). These tasks would rotate weekly. The workload was fairly distributed and house care was taught. Every week each of us was assigned a different chore.

The best for me was baking. Saturday was Mom's baking day. It was great fun to be rotated into the baking assignment. In addition to playing in the flour and sampling the cookie dough it was great mom time. Time spent bonding.

Back to the laundry part..... I do not love doing laundry, but the task gets done. I also have taken to the virtues of the soak and even to making my own soap.

Washing soda and borax are used. I don't know if the borax really works (it really does) but I was "sold" on it years and years ago. The TV show "Death Valley" and Twenty Mule Borateem got to this kid in a big way. Lov'd that show.

Laundry is hung to dry in the basement, that really helps moisten the air in the winter. The sun bleaches the task during the summer.

11/20/2012 new
Truth be told, I actually hate to do laundry...! But God Bless those who love it! ( I figure there should be at least one disenter on this thread...and it might as well be me!!) laughing laughing laughing
11/20/2012 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: I am curious too. I have two shirts th...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:
Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

I am curious too. I have two shirts that have them and I thought maybe the dye was not good enough. Do you think VINEGAR could help?

Are these shirts that are dyed? or white?

I've googled and tried a lot of different natural products, but still, none of them work great. I will stick to oxi-clean until I find something better. Try it.
--hide--

Can you explain how you use it? What does Oxyclean do to the rest of the shirt? I need more detail. I used Oxyclean for a while but have not used it in some time. Are you talking about yellowing on white shirts?

11/20/2012 new

(Quote) Bart-749635 said: You ladies are cute. I like the way so many of you put heart into what for many would be mundane t...
(Quote) Bart-749635 said:

You ladies are cute. I like the way so many of you put heart into what for many would be mundane tasks. These are rituals that connect us to life. If you have to do them you may as well find a way to enjoy it rather than fight it.

When we were kids (2 Girls, 3 Boys) we each were given Saturday tasks (chores were divided....cleaning the bathroom, cleaning the bedrooms, dusting and vacuuming the living area, etc.). These tasks would rotate weekly. The workload was fairly distributed and house care was taught. Every week each of us was assigned a different chore.

The best for me was baking. Saturday was Mom's baking day. It was great fun to be rotated into the baking assignment. In addition to playing in the flour and sampling the cookie dough it was great mom time. Time spent bonding.

Back to the laundry part..... I do not love doing laundry, but the task gets done. I also have taken to the virtues of the soak and even to making my own soap.

Washing soda and borax are used. I don't know if the borax really works (it really does) but I was "sold" on it years and years ago. The TV show "Death Valley" and Twenty Mule Borateem got to this kid in a big way. Lov'd that show.

Laundry is hung to dry in the basement, that really helps moisten the air in the winter. The sun bleaches the task during the summer.

--hide--

I love this post... I loved that commercial about Borax and wish I could see it again- I will check Youtube. I love how you mention, playing in the flour!!! Very entertaining. I am not sure we kids had equal chores. I think I was the main cleaner. We were 4 years apart. What actually is Borax? Does anyone know? The commercial made it sound like something from the earth didn't it?From the wild west!

11/20/2012 new

Marian, do you use a dryer (as opposed to hanging clothes outside, which doesn't work well up here in the winter)? Do you put anything in the dryer, like those little sheets? This last Sunday I found my steamer ball thing: it is about the size of a baseball, with holes, and a sponge inside... you soak the sponge, and toss the ball into the dryer. Gets the clothing or bedding soft, without those chemicals...

11/20/2012 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: Marian, do you use a dryer (as opposed to hanging clothes outside, which doesn't work well u...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

Marian, do you use a dryer (as opposed to hanging clothes outside, which doesn't work well up here in the winter)? Do you put anything in the dryer, like those little sheets? This last Sunday I found my steamer ball thing: it is about the size of a baseball, with holes, and a sponge inside... you soak the sponge, and toss the ball into the dryer. Gets the clothing or bedding soft, without those chemicals...

--hide--

I use Kirkland dryer sheets. I do not like Bounce and never did. Bounce leaves unwanted fibers on the clothes. The smell is too strong too. Kirkland dryer sheets are great. I don't have one of those ball you mention. Does it work?

11/20/2012 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: Marian, do you use a dryer (as opposed to hanging clothes outside, which doesn't work well u...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

--hide--

Do you sort your clothes by color and texture? Do you know what I mean?

If you had a navy shirt of any type, would you put it in with jeans? Yes No

I feel like I could draw up a quiz....
I guess I have had this hidden interest since I was a child. I know why I have it, and I am so glad I started this thread.

Posts 51 - 60 of 77