Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

eyepopping I must say that, until I joined "you Catholics" laughing I never really thought there was any true, sometimes scary war between good and evil. It seemed like some far off story. Fiction...exxageration.

boggled but recently, I have started seeing some things, I think more clearly. Maybe t sounds crazy, but it's like some blinders I had on are off.

Now, I've started to see clearly that I think there are battles between good and evil going on all around us, all the time. They may be as small as the guy who chooses to cut you off in a parking lot instead of being kind, or they may be as big as abortion...or as the fact that I could only find ONE item that had to do with Christ in the Christmas section at Walmart tonight.

I don't know why I have never seen this before. wide eyed Or why now it is crystal clear. lovestruck! I guess my first reacion was incredible fear. But, as it has had some time to settle in a tad bit, I must admit that I am sort of relieved that I ended up on the right side of the fence. Rekieved and thankful, because I would swear I felt called to The Church, almost compelled to convert. And, I was never the "Christian type" whatever that is. Always wild, into always fun, avoided church....Now I wear the crucifix and right now St. Theresa on my necklace. I have novenas, I go to Mass as often as possible because I want to and feel the need to.... rosary

Does anyone else just stand in the mall while waiting for your kid to finish shopping and just see and feel the conflict? You see it in the way people are dressing, or the fact that some woman is drunk and saying the "f" word in a store....or the dead stares of so many people because there is no life of the Holy Spirit. Am I losing my mind or do others see/feel/hear this? Hint: I do not like to be told I am losing my mind. rolling eyes

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Celia-821539 said: I must say that, until I joined "you Catholics" I never really thought there was any tr...
(Quote) Celia-821539 said:

I must say that, until I joined "you Catholics" I never really thought there was any true, sometimes scary war between good and evil. It seemed like some far off story. Fiction...exxageration.

but recently, I have started seeing some things, I think more clearly. Maybe t sounds crazy, but it's like some blinders I had on are off.

Now, I've started to see clearly that I think there are battles between good and evil going on all around us, all the time. They may be as small as the guy who chooses to cut you off in a parking lot instead of being kind, or they may be as big as abortion...or as the fact that I could only find ONE item that had to do with Christ in the Christmas section at Walmart tonight.

I don't know why I have never seen this before. Or why now it is crystal clear. I guess my first reacion was incredible fear. But, as it has had some time to settle in a tad bit, I must admit that I am sort of relieved that I ended up on the right side of the fence. Rekieved and thankful, because I would swear I felt called to The Church, almost compelled to convert. And, I was never the "Christian type" whatever that is. Always wild, into always fun, avoided church....Now I wear the crucifix and right now St. Theresa on my necklace. I have novenas, I go to Mass as often as possible because I want to and feel the need to....

Does anyone else just stand in the mall while waiting for your kid to finish shopping and just see and feel the conflict? You see it in the way people are dressing, or the fact that some woman is drunk and saying the "f" word in a store....or the dead stares of so many people because there is no life of the Holy Spirit. Am I losing my mind or do others see/feel/hear this? Hint: I do not like to be told I am losing my mind.

--hide--
Celia -- I'm not going to tell you you're not losing your mind. But I'm not going to say you are either. Not being in the medical professions, I'm not equipped to make such a diagnosis.

Actually, I think your mind has been raised to a new level of consciousness. You are more aware of what is going on around you. The situations you describe have been daily occurences for some time now, but you and many others have been oblivious to them in the past. Now that you are actively participating in a Christian life, you are keenly aware of what's happening in the world -- both near and far.

Having faith is a gift -- one that not everyone receives. You are free to accept or reject it. You decided to accept it and now live your life accordlingly. You have chosen a more difficult path, because, as you realize already, the Church is counter-cultural. It stands against things that are wrong. An increasing segment society is rebelling against this, wanting more personal freedoms and fewer responsibilities. You now see where that is leading us.

The store display at Walmart is an example of losing touch with the true meaning of Christmas. Years ago, there were numerous religious items to help celebrate the day -- small statues, nativity sets, and so on. Now it has become more secular.

Evil does exist -- it's not hard to find it; in fact, it seeks you. We don't hear much preaching about Satan, but he is out there doing what he does best.

You mention blinders, which reminds me of a line from Amazing Grace: "I once was blind, but now I see." Yes, Celia -- your eyes have been opened. On the downside, what you see is truly scary, but that's what we're here to fight against in our own way. Our way is a more difficult path during our earthly lives which are short-- but will be well worth it in the afterlife which is eternal. Short term gratification, or long term happiness are the choices.

You were called to live a life of faith, and to set an example for others. And -- just so you know, I think your mind is working just fine. biggrin

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Celia-821539 said: I must say that, until I joined "you Catholics" I never really thought there was any tr...

I must say that, until I joined "you Catholics" I never really thought there was any true, sometimes scary war between good and evil. It seemed like some far off story. Fiction...exxageration.

but recently, I have started seeing some things, I think more clearly. Maybe t sounds crazy, but it's like some blinders I had on are off.

I don't know why I have never seen this before. Or why now it is crystal clear. I guess my first reacion was incredible fear. But, as it has had some time to settle in a tad bit, I must admit that I am sort of relieved that I ended up on the right side of the fence. Rekieved and thankful, because I would swear I felt called to The Church, almost compelled to convert. And, I was never the "Christian type" whatever that is. Always wild, into always fun, avoided church....Now I wear the crucifix and right now St. Theresa on my necklace. I have novenas, I go to Mass as often as possible because I want to and feel the need to....

Does anyone else just stand in the mall while waiting for your kid to finish shopping and just see and feel the conflict? You see it in the way people are dressing, or the fact that some woman is drunk and saying the "f" word in a store....or the dead stares of so many people because there is no life of the Holy Spirit. Am I losing my mind or do others see/feel/hear this? Hint: I do not like to be told I am losing my mind.

--hide--

Celia, you are on such a wonderful spiritual path! And, yes you are right - there is most definitely a war being waged between good and evil right under our noses. Two wonderful saints to call upon that seem to be very efficacious in the fight between good and evil are St. Benedict (I would get his medal if I weer you if you don't have it) and St. Michael the Archangel. If you are ever truly face-to-face with evil, call loud and clear with confidence to St. Michael asking him to help you fight that evil in Jesus name and he comes through. He has been seen in the sky during World War II fighting battles by troops on the ground. (I wish I could remember the name of the place but I'm sure you could google it somehow.

11/18/2012 new

So this is what Amazing Grace means...Wow. And all the times I have hear/sung that song, I never really got it.

I will try to find a medal of St. Micahel. It is hard to find things here, since I live in a city that seems to have few Catholics and even fewer Catholic

places. I did get a medal of St. Theresa yesterday at church. Not really sure what her significance is, but I am wearing it none the less. wink

11/18/2012 new

(Quote) Celia-821539 said: So this is what Amazing Grace means...Wow. And all the times I have hear/sung that song, I never ...

So this is what Amazing Grace means...Wow. And all the times I have hear/sung that song, I never really got it.

I will try to find a medal of St. Micahel. It is hard to find things here, since I live in a city that seems to have few Catholics and even fewer Catholic

places. I did get a medal of St. Theresa yesterday at church. Not really sure what her significance is, but I am wearing it none the less.

--hide--

I have actually never seen medals of St. Michael, but there are holy cards with his picture on the front and prayer on the back. The prayer to St. Michael the Archangel used to be said after every Mass in the 50's - 60's unitl Vatican II I guess. The EWTN religious catalogue has virtually anything you would want to order online. Just google EWTN. There are medals (with accompanying prayer) to St. Benedict. Which St. Theresa? There is St. Teresa of Avila (one of the Doctors of the Church), St. Terese of Lisieux (also one of the Doctors of the Church), and Mother Theresa of Calcutta (whom I'm sure you know and whom I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line she didn't also get named one of the Doctors of the Church. They were all great women and great Saints!!!

11/18/2012 new
Ephesians 6:12

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

It was true back then in St Paul's day, and it's true now. Sometimes, especially early on in a conversion, we're especially aware of the spiritual battle. Thanks for reminding me, Celia. I get a little comfortable in my faith maybe. Or a little too focused on the people doing this or that... but there is something behind all of this sin, just as there is Someone behind all of this grace. We know Who the Victor is! theheart

12/01/2012 new

Yes, Celia, we ARE seeing a battle of good vs evil! It has been coming for some time- I'd say the last century especially as the AWEFUL communist movement has spread (at times quietly and patiently, as it has in the USA); the "feminist movement" which has been a popular tool, atheism and witchcraft/wicca have appeared of late; and the and disappearance of a "free press"- along with freedom of speech! It is obvious in our current political/governmental situation. We are on the brink here! Unthinkable, but too many people are not paying attention!

We MUST fight, for good and for freedom (even OUR OWN now!)!!!

12/05/2012 new

I was going to start a new thread, but I think what I had to say conforms to this one.

Our parish had planned a Penance Service for this evening. That's a good, needed thing.
So the struggle to find extra priests to come help out with it was incredible, and as of last night, we still had only 2 priests (our own).
And this morning, two copper water mains were discovered stolen from the side of the church. This is a costly repair our already-poor parish will have to cover. Our pastor said, "Well, there must be a great need for that Penance Service and a lot of good will come of it if the devil is working this hard to mess it up."

We need to work at not getting discouraged. We can take the perspective that, when we encounter certain difficulties and bad things happening, it's a sign that we are on the right path; else, the devil would not be fighting against us that much. So, keep heart and have hope!

12/05/2012 new

A very chilling story is the origination of the St. Michael the Archangel prayer. Incidentally, the original prayer written by Pope Leo XII is beautfiul! He heard Jesus and the Devil speaking after he had finished saying Mass.

12/05/2012 new
After spending over an hr talking with an exorcist once, what little doubt I had is gone. Infact i think this is more intense today than at anytime in history. I base this on comments from others who have exorcist contacts. And the Leo xiii story. Thank God for God!!
Posts 1 - 10 of 14