Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Ladies. What's the best way for a guy who knows and works with a lot of powerful people to talk with you about these things without it coming across as bragging to your ears?

I work in a business where I know a lot big-name people in politics and the media, some of whom are household names. My former female friend told me it came across as bragging when I talked about them. Yet they are an integral part of my career.
Nov 18th 2012 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: Ladies. What's the best way for a guy who knows and works with a lot of powerful people to talk with you about ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Ladies. What's the best way for a guy who knows and works with a lot of powerful people to talk with you about these things without it coming across as bragging to your ears?

I work in a business where I know a lot big-name people in politics and the media, some of whom are household names. My former female friend told me it came across as bragging when I talked about them. Yet they are an integral part of my career.
--hide--

Be yourself, perhaps she was jealous is why it was a problem??? And if you think your connections cause someone to want to know you for those wait till you know them better to mention who you know??? I am friends with the owners of the company I work for, and it helps open a few doors for me but unless I know you well I probably wouldn't mention it....
Nov 18th 2012 new

Stop worrying about what your former female friend has to say and live your life. Your associates are your associates. Who cares who they are, or whether she approves of you speaking of them. It's your life and your work, not hers. Who is she to say whether you can or cannot speak about them?

Would her opinion be the same if she were in your position? Don't count on it.

theheart

Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Ladies. What's the best way for a guy who knows and works with a lot of powerful people to talk with ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Ladies. What's the best way for a guy who knows and works with a lot of powerful people to talk with you about these things without it coming across as bragging to your ears?

--hide--

My question would be why are you talking about them? I'm sure there are enough other topics you could talk about. Most of the people I know who do have "connections" don't talk about them - there is no reason to. One learns as one gets older that discretion is the better part of valor.

Nov 18th 2012 new

If you mean, like "so yesterday, I was hanging with Tom...Brokaw, and he says, John, come to dinner tomorrow with Brian Williams and me at the Capital Grille by Capitol Hill, blah blah" then yes, that sounds a littley braggy to me.

I would not talk alot about work to begin with. Most people don't really care about other people's work, particularly early on. I would tell stories if you feel you want to, but I would not talk about the who. Let people ask, then it's not bragging. They brought it up.

I think you can tell someone that your work includes interacting with "network news people" or "high ups in the pentagon" or whatever, and they get the idea of who you are dealing with everyday.

If I were talking to you I would say "okay brush with greatness (a la David Letterman)--tell me some famous person story." And I would be interested. It all depends on your audience.

Nov 18th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: My question would be why are you talking about them? I'm sure there are enough othe...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

My question would be why are you talking about them? I'm sure there are enough other topics you could talk about. Most of the people I know who do have "connections" don't talk about them - there is no reason to. One learns as one gets older that discretion is the better part of valor.

--hide--
I have a close friend who is a cousin of a former President. We've known each other for several decades and I've seen her album showing her attending parties at the White House (where she wore a thrift store dress) and playing tennis with the President. The friend I know doesn't identify herself by who she's related to, to me she is a lady who works with battered women and their families at a Northern Virginia shelter, volunteers with animal rescue, and rehabilitates baby wild animals until they can be reintroduced into the wild. She's also a political activist against injustice in the world. She is one of my dearest friends, and the most compassionate person I ever met. I even took her profile pictures on another dating site! We get together several times a year, and mention of her cousin rarely if ever comes up. We do tend to identify ourselves by our professions- it's only natural and I'm certainly no exception, but that all goes away when we retire.

Nov 25th 2012 new

[quote]Pat-5351 said:

If you mean, like "so yesterday, I was hanging with Tom...Brokaw, and he says, John, come to dinner tomorrow with Brian Williams and me at the Capital Grille by Capitol Hill, blah blah" then yes, that sounds a littley braggy to me.

I would not talk alot about work to begin with. Most people don't really care about other people's work, particularly early on. I would tell stories if you feel you want to, but I would not talk about the who. Let people ask, then it's not bragging. They brought it up.

I think you can tell someone that your work includes interacting with "network news people" or "high ups in the pentagon" or whatever, and they get the idea of who you are dealing with everyday.

If I were talking to you I would say "okay brush with greatness (a la David Letterman)--tell me some famous person story." And I would be interested. It all depends on your audience.

I agree with Pat on this one. Say the most by saying the least. Modesty is a virtue. But if they do bring it up, then why not talk about it? How she responds is a good barometer--or at least was window--into her personality. Envy runs deep...

Nov 25th 2012 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Ladies. What's the best way for a guy who knows and works with a lot of powerful people to talk with ...

--hide--

What need is there to discuss work details while on a date? Cannot you think of other topics of conversation? There are lots of things going on out here ... pick one, but please, there's no need to discuss work and the details in the office.

Like Vegas, what goes on in the office, stays in the office. Just MHO smile

Nov 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: My question would be why are you talking about them? I'm sure there are enough othe...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

--hide--

Agreed, Pat highfive

Nov 25th 2012 new

--hide--

No it is not bragging. If that is who you know kudos to you. Tell her to open her mind. I live in CA and have met some celebrities and so on. It is not bragging. She is too immature to let you be yourself. Sorry if I am insulting her but There comes a time when we have to spread our wings and be ourselves whether our so called friends like it or not.

Posts 1 - 10 of 14