Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Most of us have seen or read the Jane Austen classic "Pride and Prejudice" where the unbashful Mrs Bennet concocts various plots and schemes to get her five daughters securely married to respectable men. It seems in those days both men and women wanted to secure a good match, a match that was considered "suitable" by the elite standards of Victorian society. Today, it seems the more things change the more things stay the same. How different is CM from the secular world of online dating? Do we concoct schemes or feign disinterest in someone when in fact we are really interested? Do we string someone along when we know he or she is not a potentially "good" match? How much of our online dating actions are similar to Mrs Bennet? God bless !!

11/19/2012 new

love makes fools of us all. the stakes are so high, rejection so terrifying, that we say or do things which we know are crazy.

11/19/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: love makes fools of us all. the stakes are so high, rejection so terrifying, that we say or do th...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

love makes fools of us all. the stakes are so high, rejection so terrifying, that we say or do things which we know are crazy.

--hide--

I agree David, love makes us do crazy things, but I hope not at the expense of deliberately hurting others by playing games. May be I am being too simplistic or idealistic about my expectations of CM :)

11/19/2012 new

(Quote) Daniele-678076 said: Most of us have seen or read the Jane Austen classic "Pride and Prejudice" where the ...
(Quote) Daniele-678076 said:

Most of us have seen or read the Jane Austen classic "Pride and Prejudice" where the unbashful Mrs Bennet concocts various plots and schemes to get her five daughters securely married to respectable men. It seems in those days both men and women wanted to secure a good match, a match that was considered "suitable" by the elite standards of Victorian society. Today, it seems the more things change the more things stay the same. How different is CM from the secular world of online dating? Do we concoct schemes or feign disinterest in someone when in fact we are really interested? Do we string someone along when we know he or she is not a potentially "good" match? How much of our online dating actions are similar to Mrs Bennet? God bless !!

--hide--
I think the most important thing I grasped from Pride and Prejudice is that you cannot judge a book by its cover. I think that can be applied to the real world and to the online world also. Don't be too quick to form an opinion of someone. Ultimately God is our Judge.

11/19/2012 new

(Quote) Joachim-908165 said: I think the most important thing I grasped from Pride and Prejudice is that you cannot judge a ...
(Quote) Joachim-908165 said:

I think the most important thing I grasped from Pride and Prejudice is that you cannot judge a book by its cover. I think that can be applied to the real world and to the online world also. Don't be too quick to form an opinion of someone. Ultimately God is our Judge.

--hide--
I think Pride and Prejudice teaches us about the many ways men and women can be uncharitable towards each other, but I agree with you Joachim, it is also about making assumptions about others, perhaps these assumptions are based on our fears?

11/19/2012 new

(Quote) Daniele-678076 said: I agree David, love makes us do crazy things, but I hope not at the expense of del...

I agree David, love makes us do crazy things, but I hope not at the expense of deliberately hurting others by playing games. May be I am being too simplistic or idealistic about my expectations of CM :)

--hide--

Welcome to CM by the way.

Wish it were not so, but sadly many people do just that - on CM and elsewhere in life. Becasuse the perceived stakes are so high, people get crazy and occasionally vicious when it comes to affaires du coeur.

11/19/2012 new

I would say nothing is new under the sun, so indeed we are still a part of a system that worked back then, and can work now. All of that stuff is still present, in some form or another.

11/19/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: Welcome to CM by the way. Wish it were not so, but sadly many pe...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Welcome to CM by the way.

Wish it were not so, but sadly many people do just that - on CM and elsewhere in life. Becasuse the perceived stakes are so high, people get crazy and occasionally vicious when it comes to affaires du coeur.

--hide--
Thanks David, I only partly agree with you, yes we are living in a broken world fractured by sin which influenes love relationships, but I think we should aspire to love as Christ would have us. It is probably easier said than done.

11/20/2012 new

(Quote) Daniele-678076 said: Thanks David, I only partly agree with you, yes we are living in a broken world fractured by si...

Thanks David, I only partly agree with you, yes we are living in a broken world fractured by sin which influenes love relationships, but I think we should aspire to love as Christ would have us. It is probably easier said than done.

--hide--

well, i agree with you. we are living in a broken world but we must always seek to do God's will for us and to be a good example to those in our lives.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9