Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can make a predicti...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can make a prediction as to where this thread is likely to go...

1.) In one camp there will be the younger crowd who may also be new to this site who will believe that a good relationship and mate goes far beyond matters like status and education level. They will draw inspiration from the success stories of others on this site who have found their "one" in spite of the fact that they weren't a "perfect" match. They put their full faith and trust in God and it led them to the one perfect for them.

2.) And in the other camp there will be those whose memberships here pre-date the New Testament (and likely the most active contributors in the Pinkie Room thread) who will insist that anything less than absolute perfection means that you will be short-changing yourself of what you really deserve. These people will also incessantly complain about being continuously passed over by men that they think are their perfect match for every reason other than themselves, but themselves would reject someone simply because they don't comb their hair the right way. (That's NOT a joke either!)

If I'm looking for inspiration and advice, I'm going with the first camp. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with those in the other camp - everyone is entitled to their preferences - but I generally prefer to take advice from those who are doing better than me, not the same or worse. Obviously, whatever those in the latter camp are doing hasn't worked, isn't working now, and, judging by history, likely won't be working anytime in the forseeable future.

Just the of one man based on his 3 years of experience on CM... 'tis all!

--hide--

OK Victor fess up, who gave you the key to the Pinkie room? And you better give it back right this minute young man. mischievous

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: I could careless about degrees, I am looking for a person of good character. My dad and my gra...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

I could careless about degrees, I am looking for a person of good character. My dad and my grandpa did not have degrees but they were smarter and had more character and common sense then I have seen from some people with advanced degrees.

--hide--
Marirose my grandfather did not have a degree either. He had to quit school at an early age to make money because his father died at a young age. He was never taught to read in school but taught himself to read and write by reading the bible. Can you imagine teaching yourself to read by trying to read the bible? A very smart man he was. He also was very handy. He could fix anything and he built houses too.He also played the accordian. He was a policeman. He was a very good grandfather and very wise too. He loved his job as a policeman and wanted to be the chief of police but couldn't because he did not have a formal education. He then encouraged my mother and her sisters to get an education and as a result they all did. In turn my mother encouraged me and my siblings to receive an education and we all did. My mother told me many times how much my grandfather wanted to be the chief of police and couldn't because he was unable to receive a formal education. The point I am trying to make is that education is a means to an end. By receiving my degree I am able to support myself and am working at a job I love. My grandfather was a wonderful man, very smart and very wise. He was a wonderful grandfather because of who he was and how he lived his life. That is the most important thing. As my grandfather taught my mom an Education helps you to be what you would like to be. It is an ends to a means but it does not determine the value of a person. No it is how you choose to live your life and who you are that is the most important thing.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said:     Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can ...

Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can make a prediction as to where this thread is likely to go...

1.) In one camp there will be the younger crowd who may also be new to this site who will believe that a good relationship and mate goes far beyond matters like status and education level. They will draw inspiration from the success stories of others on this site who have found their "one" in spite of the fact that they weren't a "perfect" match. They put their full faith and trust in God and it led them to the one perfect for them.

2.) And in the other camp there will be those whose memberships here pre-date the New Testament (and likely the most active contributors in the Pinkie Room thread) who will insist that anything less than absolute perfection means that you will be short-changing yourself of what you really deserve. These people will also incessantly complain about being continuously passed over by men that they think are their perfect match for every reason other than themselves, but themselves would reject someone simply because they don't comb their hair the right way. (That's NOT a joke either!)

If I'm looking for inspiration and advice, I'm going with the first camp. Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with those in the other camp - everyone is entitled to their preferences - but I generally prefer to take advice from those who are doing better than me, not the same or worse. Obviously, whatever those in the latter camp are doing hasn't worked, isn't working now, and, judging by history, likely won't be working anytime in the forseeable future.

--hide--

I'm in the camp that says high education doesn't make a good husband, just as a lack of education doesn't make one a poor husband.. Put that in your pipe and smoke it..

Nov 19th 2012 new
(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, if this thread is also in the Pinkie Room then I can make a predict...

--hide--

PINKIE ROOM?!?!?!?

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Haven't heard that before.
Nov 19th 2012 new
Education is nearly irrelevant to me. It would be completely bogus if I was judged based on that and it only demonstrates to me that she would be impossible to satisfy because what else in the laundry list of ideals must I have? I am only looking at who she is as a person. If I had to choose a preference I would say an associates degree is better than any other in most cases and here's why.

I think big education is way overrated today and there is far too much emphasis put upon it. Depending on which school you go to, it has more to do with demoralization than it does education. I have heard more cases of people going through seemingly endless cycles of education only to hit rock bottom than I have seen successful careers, all while being in debt that will take decades of savings to pay off. In my opinion, big degrees are not feasible to pay off anymore in a reasonable amount of time unless you are able to start making very good money as soon as you are done, but I rarely see that happen. Big degrees also take too much time, time that you could be spending advancing another career and time you could be spending making money. Tuition is simply not affordable for many people because colleges are too bloated with red tape and needless bells and whistles. Big degrees may have been a good risk in the past but they are far too risky to undertake today for a lot of people. I think more people should be looking at different paths.

Intelligence to me is a big turn on but education has nothing to do with the kind of intelligence that I like to see.
Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said:   I'm in the camp that says high education doesn't make a good husband, just a...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

I'm in the camp that says high education doesn't make a good husband, just as a lack of education doesn't make one a poor husband.. Put that in your pipe and smoke it..

--hide--
laughing laughing

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: PINKIE ROOM?!?!?!? Haven't heard that before.
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

PINKIE ROOM?!?!?!?

Haven't heard that before.
--hide--

It's always been called the Pink Room or the Pinkies Room..Was named such before I came 8+ years ago.. The men's room has always been called The Cave..

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: It's always been called the Pink Room or the Pinkies Room..Was named such before ...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

It's always been called the Pink Room or the Pinkies Room..Was named such before I came 8+ years ago.. The men's room has always been called The Cave..

--hide--

Yes, but the "Pinkie Room" and "Cave" these days are little more than the legend of days gone by. The "Men's Forum" (who came-up with that name? crazy ) of today, and likely the future, will never be graced by the likes of some of the characters who once presided there. And I'm sure the same sentiment can be made about the ladies' room.

theheart

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-730470 said: Marirose my grandfather did not have a degree either. He had to quit school at an early age to ma...
(Quote) Kathy-730470 said:

Marirose my grandfather did not have a degree either. He had to quit school at an early age to make money because his father died at a young age. He was never taught to read in school but taught himself to read and write by reading the bible. Can you imagine teaching yourself to read by trying to read the bible? A very smart man he was. He also was very handy. He could fix anything and he built houses too.He also played the accordian. He was a policeman. He was a very good grandfather and very wise too. He loved his job as a policeman and wanted to be the chief of police but couldn't because he did not have a formal education. He then encouraged my mother and her sisters to get an education and as a result they all did. In turn my mother encouraged me and my siblings to receive an education and we all did. My mother told me many times how much my grandfather wanted to be the chief of police and couldn't because he was unable to receive a formal education. The point I am trying to make is that education is a means to an end. By receiving my degree I am able to support myself and am working at a job I love. My grandfather was a wonderful man, very smart and very wise. He was a wonderful grandfather because of who he was and how he lived his life. That is the most important thing. As my grandfather taught my mom an Education helps you to be what you would like to be. It is an ends to a means but it does not determine the value of a person. No it is how you choose to live your life and who you are that is the most important thing.

--hide--
Kathy, sounds familar. my grandpa made it through 8th grade before he had to quit to support his family. In the depression he had to go away to find work. He hated being away from my grandma. He wrote her a love letter every day. I would be blessed to be loved like he loved her. My dad loved my mom like that too. They were good men.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Yes, but the "Pinkie Room" and "Cave" these days are little mor...

Yes, but the "Pinkie Room" and "Cave" these days are little more than the legend of days gone by. The "Men's Forum" (who came-up with that name? ) of today, and likely the future, will never be graced by the likes of some of the characters who once presided there. And I'm sure the same sentiment can be made about the ladies' room.

--hide--

Most of the ' Pinkie characters' I know, have married and moved over to 'that other site.. wink

Posts 11 - 20 of 133