Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Sally-894891 said: So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher...
(Quote) Sally-894891 said:

So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher? I have my bachelor's degree and am now going for my masters. I don't think a degree is one of the most important things when finding your other half. Your education does not make you the person you are. It does not make someone more or less intelligent. But for some reason I do find men who have an equal degree as mine to have more in common. I feel we are able to communicate, talk and discuss things that interest me, about life, religion, society, etc... I don't know why that is? Maybe because they share the same love or motivation for education? Also I have come across some profiles who specifically state that they do not want a woman who is intelligent or more intelligent than them! Really!?

So men do you want to find a woman who is your equal in education and intelligence, or do you prefer someone with a lower degree. Same question to you ladies. Are you looking for someone who has a higher or same degree as yours?

--hide--

Sally, I think you've been given some excellent advice on this thread. My only suggestion is to not limit your search to those equal in education. You may find your best match outside of those parameters. As always, I wish you the best. theheart

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: A: yes. - Elizabeth
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

A: yes.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

Then you are consistent. :)
I've known lots and lots of female friends (committed Catholics and not) who have openly told me they won't date a guy who is shorter than they. I'm 6' 2" so not a problem for me, but I found it very inconsistent as they similarly thought men who made less than they, etc. shouldn't have a problem with it.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Eric-114571 said: Then you are consistent. :)I've known lots and lots of female friends (committed C...
(Quote) Eric-114571 said:

Then you are consistent. :)
I've known lots and lots of female friends (committed Catholics and not) who have openly told me they won't date a guy who is shorter than they. I'm 6' 2" so not a problem for me, but I found it very inconsistent as they similarly thought men who made less than they, etc. shouldn't have a problem with it.

--hide--

At 5'3", this may never be a problem for Elizabeth either. But no matter, she appears to be a very special person. rose

Nov 19th 2012 new
(Quote) Sally-894891 said: So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher? I have my ba...

So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher? I have my bachelor's degree and am now going for my masters. I don't think a degree is one of the most important things when finding your other half. Your education does not make you the person you are. It does not make someone more or less intelligent. But for some reason I do find men who have an equal degree as mine to have more in common. I feel we are able to communicate, talk and discuss things that interest me, about life, religion, society, etc... I don't know why that is? Maybe because they share the same love or motivation for education? Also I have come across some profiles who specifically state that they do not want a woman who is intelligent or more intelligent than them! Really!?

So men do you want to find a woman who is your equal in education and intelligence, or do you prefer someone with a lower degree. Same question to you ladies. Are you looking for someone who has a higher or same degree as yours?

--hide--
Education isn't important -- the ability to communicate well is. Until I started meeting really great guys who never finished college, I thought that requiring a bachelor's degree would be reasonable. I have a master's degree and plan to get a PhD at some point. My bf never finished college (he could if he wanted to, but ultimately his career choice doesn't require one) but we still challenge each other to learn something new. Some of our most fun dates have been visits to museums, or discussions of case studies actually written for physicians' continuing education. Yes, we're total nerds. biggrin I can't imagine requiring a college degree and missing out on this amazing man -- who makes a little more money than I do, coincidentally. (not that it matters)
Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-730470 said: The most important thing in a relationship is kindness. Having a degree doesn't make you kind...
(Quote) Kathy-730470 said:

The most important thing in a relationship is kindness. Having a degree doesn't make you kind. Not having a degree does not make you kind either. It is who you are inside that is the most important. It is not looks, education, age, material wealth, or possessions. Maybe you are attracted initially by any one of these things but it is truly who you are that determines if your relationship will last. I know of two brothers one is a dentist.....highly educated and his brother never went to university. However, the brother the one who only has a high school education is very wealthy. He learned how to lay hardwood floors and started his own business. Does that make one better than the other? No In fact the dentist is married to someone without a university degree. He is happily married. He married her and she doesn't have the same education as he does. I know of another couple who met in university. They both had a similar education. The wife got in a terrible car accident and her face was disfigured from her car catching on fire. She had many skin grafts and operations to her face but her face was never the same. Her husband divorced her because he couldn't handle her disfigured face. She was a very beautiful girl before the car accident. Oh and they met while attending a Catholic university. So it didn't matter that they both had a similar education, were both Catholic and that she was good looking but was disfigured by a terrible car accident. No what truly matter is who you are.......education is only one aspect of who you are but it is not the most important.

--hide--

Really? Age doesn't matter? Can I come knocking at your door? lovestruck! smile

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: That would place you in very select company, my friend!
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

That would place you in very select company, my friend!

--hide--

That's for sure.. rolling eyes (was that select or limited?) mischievous

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Marirose-887295 said: Kathy, sounds familar. my grandpa made it through 8th grade before he had to quit to support h...
(Quote) Marirose-887295 said:

Kathy, sounds familar. my grandpa made it through 8th grade before he had to quit to support his family. In the depression he had to go away to find work. He hated being away from my grandma. He wrote her a love letter every day. I would be blessed to be loved like he loved her. My dad loved my mom like that too. They were good men.

--hide--
I wonder why men like our grandpas and our fathers are hard to find now. My grandpas on both sides and my father and father-in-law were very loving to their families. I witnessed everything they did to show how much they loved their spouse and children. I myself had so much education, so many talents, but I laid low behind the man I married (now my ex) who was also highly educated like me, so as not to be a threat to his ego, but I realized that he was putting everything on me that I begin to question what was his share or participation in the responsibilities. If I won't use my education and skills my family would be going nowhere. His way of showing he was still the boss is using domestic violence - verbal, emotional threats, and physical attacks. I just waited till my children who have disabilities finished college and be on their own. I think education doesn't make a man a loving husband. It is his values and principles; his integrity and respectability as a person. A family friend one time stayed in our place for a month while looking for a job, must have noticed the situation that he made this advise to my ex - "Do not make your spouse your adversary." He was a very loving family man. He provided his family before he died.

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: (Quote) Victor-544727 said: That would place you in very selec...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Quote:
Victor-544727 said:

That would place you in very select company, my friend!

That's for sure.. (was that select or limited?)

--hide--

scratchchin I dunno. He's on his way, so be sure to welcome him when he arrives.

Thanks! wink

theheart

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) John-857142 said: At 5'3", this may never be a problem for Elizabeth either. But no matter, sh...
(Quote) John-857142 said:

At 5'3", this may never be a problem for Elizabeth either. But no matter, she appears to be a very special person.

--hide--

Thank you, John.Actually, my husband of 34 years was only a couple of inches taller than me. When we first started dating, I just bought more flat shoes. As it turned out, the flats saved my back a lot of stress and landed me a great husband. He used to be my biggest cheerleader and was proud of my every accomplishment. I remember one of my favorite judge's retirement party, after the judge introduced David to his wife...David said, "Looks like we both married up!"

- Elizabeth

Nov 19th 2012 new

(Quote) Sally-894891 said: So I was just wondering if you prefer someone who has the same degree as yours or lower or higher...

--hide--
At my age I no longer care about such things, but when I was a bit younger (I've been divorced for about 25 years) many women I approached were looking for the resume first. I can understand that, it's not always about status. I have tech schools and a little college, so that part of my dating resume is not very impressive. My wife was only a HS grad, but was a very smart lady. Most of the women I've dated over the years were considerably more educated than I am. I prefer that, actually.

Posts 31 - 40 of 133