Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: What an idea, Karen! One in each state. There are battles regarding Christmas Nativity displays an...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

What an idea, Karen! One in each state. There are battles regarding Christmas Nativity displays and even saying "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holidays". Wouldn't it be something if someone with some unused private land would allow a space to become a Hill of Crosses. It could be something people could pursue through their dioceses, then getting the word out to each parish, announcing it at Mass and in the bulletins, making it a school project...... the possibilities abound here! Anyone excited by this idea and interested in trying to make it happen?

--hide--

I think one in each state would be fine. But, wouldn't one gigantic hill of crosses somewhere in the country be better - a HUGE statement. Someplace that people could pilgrimage to. And, yes it would have to be on private land to avoid the ACLU. And, just think crosses are a universal Christian symbol - not just Catholic. Think of the grand holy place this could be. The question would be where. First of all, someplace with a hill. Secondly, private land that could be donated or bought with donations. Thirdly, fairly accessible from anywhere in the country - ie. within an hour or two from a major airport. Thirdly, either somewhere in the midsection of the country (so equally accessible from both coasts) or perhaps within a couple hours of our nations' capitol perhaps. A thought that occurred to me immediately was the LaCrosse Wisconsin area where the relatively new shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe was built several years ago. It is on the bluffs of the Mississippi River. So, that area is already a pilgrimage site and in fact that diocese has had a lot of vocations the last several years. This would have to be seperate from any current shrine though or it would be under the control of some order or church organization. The key to Lithuania's Hill of Crosses is that it was a populist (is that the correct term), spontaneous creation - not set up by committee or a government or a particular organization. Unfortunately, if one tried to do that now on a piece of land that didn't belong to you, the ACLU and the courts would stop it. Really interesting ides - I wonder if anyone ever tried to implement this?

Nov 20th 2012 new
What's the harm in any of us making inquiries wherever we could? ANYTHING could get the ball rolling.

I was thinking state-by-state only because I know of some possible locations here.... but I do see the value in your national idea, Patricia (I tend to think small grandiose thoughts! laughing
Nov 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: What's the harm in any of us making inquiries wherever we could? ANYTHING could get the ball rolling....
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: What's the harm in any of us making inquiries wherever we could? ANYTHING could get the ball rolling.

I was thinking state-by-state only because I know of some possible locations here.... but I do see the value in your national idea, Patricia (I tend to think small grandiose thoughts!
--hide--

Hi Lina, perhaps it's time for you to move up to big grandiose thoughtsbiggrin . And, don't I remember somewhere about you possibly moving at some point to Wisconsing (or do I have you mixed up with someone else)?

Nov 20th 2012 new
No, that be me! Looking to do so after my son is in college. He's a high school sophomore right now.
Nov 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: No, that be me! Looking to do so after my son is in college. He's a high school sophomore right now.
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: No, that be me! Looking to do so after my son is in college. He's a high school sophomore right now.
--hide--

Where in Wisconsin are you wanting to move? I spent a lot of time up in the NW woods on a lake childhood summers as I have relatives up there. Can't you see a huge hill of crosses somewhere in the W/NW part of Wisconsin (where there are a few hills). Just a thought!

Nov 20th 2012 new
South central WI in Marquette County is my dream place, but I do like the Holy Hill area. Will have to see where I will be able to afford to live. ...As with any ideas, given time and prayer, who knows what might develop! I'm just amazed at this US Hill of Crosses idea popping up all of a sudden.... is this, a la Blues Brothers, a "mission from God"?
Nov 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: South central WI in Marquette County is my dream place, but I do like the Holy Hill area. Will have to se...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: South central WI in Marquette County is my dream place, but I do like the Holy Hill area. Will have to see where I will be able to afford to live. ...As with any ideas, given time and prayer, who knows what might develop! I'm just amazed at this US Hill of Crosses idea popping up all of a sudden.... is this, a la Blues Brothers, a "mission from God"?
--hide--

I actually really believe that this is how the Holy Spirit works! The only question is whether or not we listen to Him and then act on it. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But, it wouldn't hurt to try to do some online research about this or perhaps put a few postings in other Catholic/Christian sites (particularly using this youtube video which can't help but inspire.

Nov 20th 2012 new
...and I don't have to be the only one who acts upon the idea.... smile
Nov 20th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: ...and I don't have to be the only one who acts upon the idea....
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: ...and I don't have to be the only one who acts upon the idea....
--hide--

Absolutely! What I've found in the past is that when something is inspired by God/Holy Spirit, the idea/project seems to take on a life of it's own. All kinds of providential things happen/fall into place. For example, a person out of the blue will step up to donate land or a check will arrive in the mail that you didn't know was coming. Amazing coincidences seem to happen ( and I do mean seem, as in reality, it is the Holy Spirit). I've had such experience in the past, it is almost unbelievable what happens when God ordains something, so to speak. But, it takes our initiative to get the process started ( and one seems to have to do it confidently and with purpose, not to just tinker with it). There are secular books written on the topic that call it Synchronicity. I call it GOD.

Nov 20th 2012 new

What we need is a web site and 'no' name. Just the idea.

Then we need to send the idea via email to everyone we know who would be sympathetic, anyone who believes in God.

The first hill could be in the east where our country started it's roots in and under the name of God.
We -the US of A - were created by God for all, a melting pot, All under One God.

But the Heart of the nation - where would that be? Kansas?? - Oh, I found it en.wikipedia.org

And then when you get your peice of land Lina......another and another

Posts 11 - 20 of 61