Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 20th 2012 new

Ecology - I had to take it twice. Too many life & system cycles.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) John-759808 said: Golf. Yes a 2 credit golf course. Had to learn the physics behind the hook and slice. I didn't have a...
(Quote) John-759808 said: Golf. Yes a 2 credit golf course. Had to learn the physics behind the hook and slice. I didn't have a physics course at the time...

--hide--

I'm still repeating my golf...on a course. I also find it hard to pass by a course(or pass the course)

Nov 21st 2012 new
Easy to answer...

Calculus, senior year of high school.

It was also the single most valuable class I have ever taken. I haven't taken a math class since, but calculus taught me more about me, life and the world than any other class. I learned that my identity is not to be determined by the grade I received. I learned about how to handle failure. That doing one's very best doesn't always mean success. But it means growth. Calculus, and Mr. Parrot, taught me to take a chance on being less than what I hope for. I've used this far more than differentiated equations, summations, or imaginary numbers.
Nov 21st 2012 new

I was going to say Differential Equations (known as Screws), but then remembered that later I took Physical Chemistry which was entirely applied differential equations, and that was so mystifying it was almost mystical. Then, I decided to miss the second exam because my Mom needed surgery and I wanted to be there for her. The grade was an arithmetic average of three tests, no final, and for the second I got a zero. Ouch! But, life goes on.

Nov 21st 2012 new
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: I was going to say Differential Equations (known as Screws), but then remembered that later I took Physical Ch...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

I was going to say Differential Equations (known as Screws), but then remembered that later I took Physical Chemistry which was entirely applied differential equations, and that was so mystifying it was almost mystical. Then, I decided to miss the second exam because my Mom needed surgery and I wanted to be there for her. The grade was an arithmetic average of three tests, no final, and for the second I got a zero. Ouch! But, life goes on.

--hide--

DQs definitely hurt! OUCH!!! is right. But, yes, life goes on. That is the lesson.
Nov 21st 2012 new

Tennis! Sigh... embarassed faint

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: DQs definitely hurt! OUCH!!! is right. But, yes, life goes on. That is the lesson.
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said:

DQs definitely hurt! OUCH!!! is right. But, yes, life goes on. That is the lesson.
--hide--

Yes. We learn so much from our failures. Especially if one has had a modicum of success, then coming face to face with one's own limitations, although painful, is very instructive.

When you are a child, people lie to you and say you can be whatever you want to be. That is wrong.
But you can make amazing things come true by believing and trying hard. That is true. Miracles do happen.
But, you cannot do everything and anything. We are not gods. That is an important lesson that all youth must eventually learn.
Wisdom comes in knowing what is God's will for us. Not always obvious. But sometimes there are signs along the way.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Cat-163322 said: Accounting! And I truly hated it. What job do I have that pays the bills? I'm a bookkeeper.
(Quote) Cat-163322 said:

Accounting! And I truly hated it. What job do I have that pays the bills? I'm a bookkeeper.

Cat

--hide--
Well, Cat -- that's proof that God has a sense of humor..... biggrin

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) John-34848 said: I'm still repeating my golf...on a course. I also find it hard to pass by a course(or p...
(Quote) John-34848 said:

I'm still repeating my golf...on a course. I also find it hard to pass by a course(or pass the course)

--hide--
Hope you don't get too "teed off" about it..... rolling eyes eyebrow

Nov 21st 2012 new
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Easy to answer... Calculus, senior year of high school. It was also the single most ...
(Quote) Dawn-58330 said: Easy to answer...

Calculus, senior year of high school.

It was also the single most valuable class I have ever taken. I haven't taken a math class since, but calculus taught me more about me, life and the world than any other class. I learned that my identity is not to be determined by the grade I received. I learned about how to handle failure. That doing one's very best doesn't always mean success. But it means growth. Calculus, and Mr. Parrot, taught me to take a chance on being less than what I hope for. I've used this far more than differentiated equations, summations, or imaginary numbers.
--hide--

I had a similar experience in Freshman Algebra in high school. I did well the 1st 6 weeks. Then, I got behind somehow. Test 2 comes around. I did poorly. I just did not get the concepts PRIOR to the exam. However, AFTER the exam, the teacher did a review. I UNDERSTOOD then!

That happened for much of the rest of the class. My overall grade was not my usual A or B. However, I KNEW the concepts after the exams.

I learned patience through that class. I knew patience in many other areas of my life...just not in academics.

I didn't take a Senior math class. I chose School Yearbook instead. So, I took Calculus at the University as a non-traditional student. I was 36 or 37.

The Professor was excellent. The textbook was terrible though! I got tutoring because I could not understand the concepts in the book in the same awesome manner that the Professor taught.

My tutor was awesome too! I did my homework while he did his (for a much higher math class.) I knew that if I did the homework at home, that it would not get done. I really couldn't understand that book. He answered questions and checked my homework and how I got the answer. He said many times that I did not need him!

I took the tests. I didn't do great. But, I could do the work in my timing. In the end, I was very pleased that I knew the concepts and was able to work through the problems correctly on my own and in my own time. I was still doing my best; and I was pleased. I learned through taking college level math courses that I have math anxiety while taking tests.

I love math. It is like a puzzle to me. I love the way it makes my brain work. ((In junior college, I took statistics and math courses as electives! So, it was terrible to almost get Ds in these classes!))

Maybe, I will come back another day and tell about my first accounting class! It was not a good thing!! boggled laughing
Posts 31 - 40 of 96