Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Jim-826315 said: We have not always had a progressive tax. We did not even have an income tax before the early 20th ...
(Quote) Jim-826315 said:

We have not always had a progressive tax. We did not even have an income tax before the early 20th century.

--hide--

Sorry Jim, you are wrong. Our first income tax was enacted in 1862 and it was progressive.

Nov 29th 2012 new

Hi John,

Welcome to the forums! You jumped in with two feet right right into the forums. Enjoy!

I haven’t had a chance to read all of the posts, but I’d just like to add something to mix that I have brought up in previous threads about American and Canadian conservatism. There is a difference in Canadian and American conservatism, and it has its roots in the American Revolution. The American revolutionaries were not conservative by the very nature of what they were seeking to do – overthrow British authority, establish a new order defined by self-government, and they were not willing to wait. The Tories (or Loyalists, as they are called in Canadian history books) were conservative in that they respected the authority of the Crown, they did not want a radical change in their political order, and they did not have a huge problem with being asked to pay taxes by the Crown on things like tea and stamps.

The American Revolution pushed the Tories north, and their political influence is still seen. The Canadian Conservative Party is still nicknamed the “Tories”, they have no problem with taxation for the provision of services to citizens, and they are loyal to the Crown (perhaps moreso than some other Canadian political parties). So in the post WWII-era Canada’s Conservatives do not really resemble the American Republican party in many respects, even though they are roughly on the same side of the political spectrum in their respective countries.

I do agree with your observation that sometimes people tend to latch onto their political affiliations like everything depended on it. Politicians are human beings, they make mistakes regardless of what party they belong to, and we have a right to remove them from office at election time, so people can turn it down a notch and discuss things with some civility if they really wanted to. Just my two cents

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Sorry Jim, you are wrong. Our first income tax was enacted in 1862 and it was progressive...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Sorry Jim, you are wrong. Our first income tax was enacted in 1862 and it was progressive.

--hide--
Yes we had to pay for the war something our modern political leaders seem to forget.

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: No, it isn't a non-sequitur. Besides, nobody asked me if I wanted to pay the bill. I w...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

No, it isn't a non-sequitur. Besides, nobody asked me if I wanted to pay the bill. I wasn't even given the chance to opt-out of sending soldiers to Iraq. Talk about your loss of freedom!

Jim ☺

--hide--

How does any of that address the fact that veteran's health benefits are the result of an employment agreement, not an inherent right?

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said: Yes we had to pay for the war something our modern political leaders seem to forget.
(Quote) Fredrick-483665 said:

Yes we had to pay for the war something our modern political leaders seem to forget.

--hide--

Sadly, our modern political leaders seem to forget that we need to pay for anything!

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi John et alia,John, you sound like a pretty no-too-bad guy to me. The only t...

Hi John et alia,

John, you sound like a pretty no-too-bad guy to me. The only thing I would quibble about is your homophobia. Now, I'm not getting into any arguments with you or anybody else about homosexuality. I know and have known some gays on a professional level, and we've always gotten along fine, even though I'm straight. In the real world, not everybody is straight, and that is something we all have to accept.

Other than that, I agree with you. And keep in mind that others do to, although I know for a fact that a lot of them are afraid to come in this room.

I'm not afraid, and most experienced wizards know better than to pull any mishegas with me ;-)

James ☺

--hide--

Hi James, I think you misunderstand me there. Sorry if I didn't make it entirely clear in the original post. I'm not homophobic and hold no hatred towards gay people or anyone else. I'm just saying in some circles that's what people would say because of the fact that I believe marriage is only between a man and a woman. While homosexual acts (not people) are sinful, I also understand that it's a terrible cross to carry for many reasons so we can hardly expect them to be perfect, just as we can't expect any human being (Jesus being the exception) to be perfect and without sin.

Nov 29th 2012 new

John,
You can always be an independent! I do not hold to every belief of my party as the older I get the more my views change. Most of the time it comes down to the lesser of 2 evils, sad to say with all the brain power we have in this country. But I have faith that God knows what he is doing....it is just us who don't! jan

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: How does any of that address the fact that veteran's health benefits are the result o...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

How does any of that address the fact that veteran's health benefits are the result of an employment agreement, not an inherent right?

--hide--
Heath care mayor may not be a right but we who have the means have a duty to provide it to those who can't do for themselves. The question is how to provide everyone with healthcare not if. Every person is created in the image of God and they should be treated that way. Even dicounting our Christian duty as Americans we owe our service men and women health care with or without an employment agreement.

Who determines what are rights and duties are anyway?

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: No, it isn't a non-sequitur. Besides, nobody asked me if I wanted to pay the bill. I w...

No, it isn't a non-sequitur. Besides, nobody asked me if I wanted to pay the bill. I wasn't even given the chance to opt-out of sending soldiers to Iraq. Talk about your loss of freedom!

Jim ☺

--hide--

James - how about giving me the option to OPT OUT of the following

Giveaways to solar companies of the president's choosing - govt. forced health care - tax dollars spent to build an electric car nobody wants (chevy volt) - spending for Planned Parenthood - money to middle eastern countries that hate us and treat their women like dogs - credits for improvements to your own house - money to hand out condoms in school - money to remove religious symbols in school. It goes on and on and on.

The only "political extremism" in this country is that we now have two classes. The elite ruling class and then the rest of us. The elites rule by force and are at the very best, thieves and blood sucking parasites. They live off the labor of the country and spend their days stealing as much money from other parts of the country to hand it back out to the fools that keep voting for them.

All these long drawn out posts that point out statistics and "facts" and this guy did that and this president saved that; is really intellectually pointless. It is all manufactured BS based upon whatever agenda you are pushing. Common sense should prevail.

The dollar is worthless and has lost almost all it's spending power since the early 1900's. The jobs that are out there suck and even if a husband and wife are working they can't obtain what their parents could on only one income in the 1950's and 1960's, due to excessive taxes and regulations. The federal government has grown exponentially - where are the results.

You libs talk about getting out of wars. We have had the War on Poverty, the War on Drugs, the War on illiteracy. How about giving me the OPT OUT on those. Where are the results. 49 million Americans on food stamps, pot in large and cheap supply and kids that can't count change when I go into a convenience store.

Kind of disgusting when you see these politicians that are 80 years old and still dragging their wrinkly old rear ends into congress. Must be that good of a gig. Where else can you get that wealthy and not work for it.

From what I read in here, most of you are comfortable to continue to cede more and more power to a third party in hopes of making your lives better. It is truly revolting. I would think God would expect us to grab onto our responsibilities, put complete trust in him, take care of ourselves and our families and then help those in need, as we see fit.

After watching 53% of catholics vote for Obama and reading the liberal muck on this site, I think that once my subscription runs out on 12/17; I'll give match.com a try. I would suspect it may be easier to find what I am looking for there.

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Joe-787295 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: No, it isn't a non-sequitur. Besides, ...
(Quote) Joe-787295 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

Jim ☺

James - how about giving me the option to OPT OUT of the following

Giveaways to solar companies of the president's choosing - govt. forced health care - tax dollars spent to build an electric car nobody wants (chevy volt) - spending for Planned Parenthood - money to middle eastern countries that hate us and treat their women like dogs - credits for improvements to your own house - money to hand out condoms in school - money to remove religious symbols in school. It goes on and on and on.

The only "political extremism" in this country is that we now have two classes. The elite ruling class and then the rest of us. The elites rule by force and are at the very best, thieves and blood sucking parasites. They live off the labor of the country and spend their days stealing as much money from other parts of the country to hand it back out to the fools that keep voting for them.

All these long drawn out posts that point out statistics and "facts" and this guy did that and this president saved that; is really intellectually pointless. It is all manufactured BS based upon whatever agenda you are pushing. Common sense should prevail.

The dollar is worthless and has lost almost all it's spending power since the early 1900's. The jobs that are out there suck and even if a husband and wife are working they can't obtain what their parents could on only one income in the 1950's and 1960's, due to excessive taxes and regulations. The federal government has grown exponentially - where are the results.

You libs talk about getting out of wars. We have had the War on Poverty, the War on Drugs, the War on illiteracy. How about giving me the OPT OUT on those. Where are the results. 49 million Americans on food stamps, pot in large and cheap supply and kids that can't count change when I go into a convenience store.

Kind of disgusting when you see these politicians that are 80 years old and still dragging their wrinkly old rear ends into congress. Must be that good of a gig. Where else can you get that wealthy and not work for it.

From what I read in here, most of you are comfortable to continue to cede more and more power to a third party in hopes of making your lives better. It is truly revolting. I would think God would expect us to grab onto our responsibilities, put complete trust in him, take care of ourselves and our families and then help those in need, as we see fit.

After watching 53% of catholics vote for Obama and reading the liberal muck on this site, I think that once my subscription runs out on 12/17; I'll give match.com a try. I would suspect it may be easier to find what I am looking for there.

--hide--

Before I address any of your issues, perhaps you'd be kind enough to tell me what makes me a "lib"?

And while you're thinking about that, please tell me what gives you the right to call me or anybody else what even you must know is a derogatory name, at least by CM standards?

James [quote]

Posts 51 - 60 of 79