Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 30th 2012 new
(Quote) John-221057 said: Hi James, I think you misunderstand me there. Sorry if I didn't make it entirely clear in the o...
(Quote) John-221057 said:

Hi James, I think you misunderstand me there. Sorry if I didn't make it entirely clear in the original post. I'm not homophobic and hold no hatred towards gay people or anyone else. I'm just saying in some circles that's what people would say because of the fact that I believe marriage is only between a man and a woman. While homosexual acts (not people) are sinful, I also understand that it's a terrible cross to carry for many reasons so we can hardly expect them to be perfect, just as we can't expect any human being (Jesus being the exception) to be perfect and without sin.

--hide--

thumbsup
Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Thanks, I've read my own posts, and I know the contents therein. I kn...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Thanks, I've read my own posts, and I know the contents therein.

I know how words and euphemisms are used here by others. You're not the first wizard to use the words "lib" and "liberal" to denigrate someone.

There are two more things I'll address, and then I'm signing off this part of the thread, unless you wish to address what it is that makes me a "lib".

First, you're the one who is threatening to leave CM because of the "liberal muck". During my tenure here, I've never heard anyone say that. Perhaps addressing sensitivity issues is not unwarranted, but you can do that yourself.

Secondly, upon checking your profile, why is the university you graduated from, Temple University, struck out with what looks like a marker? I've never seen that either. I didn't even know it was possible.

Take care,

James

--hide--

You just called me a wizard and then go to my profile to see if there is something you can use against me. Very typical of people with thoughtless arguments. As far as the Temple thing, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Joe-787295 said: You just called me a wizard and then go to my profile to see if there is something you...
(Quote) Joe-787295 said:

You just called me a wizard and then go to my profile to see if there is something you can use against me. Very typical of people with thoughtless arguments. As far as the Temple thing, I have no idea what you are talking about.

--hide--

James, still not a single word about a list of issues I brought up. You zero in on a few words I use, then go check my profile and then use your own denigrating words. In essence you go for character assassination because your thought process doesn't add up.

Liberals never employ actual intellectual thought and become very frustrated at trying to make sense of what are always arguments based upon emotion.

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Ron et alia,I sure am glad to hear that health care is not a right. Good! Close...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Ron et alia,

I sure am glad to hear that health care is not a right. Good! Close all those VA hospitals, and all the vets can sign up for Blue Cross. Right?

James ☺

--hide--

Surely you can't be serious!

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Joe-787295 said: James, still not a single word about a list of issues I brought up. You zero in on a few w...
(Quote) Joe-787295 said:

James, still not a single word about a list of issues I brought up. You zero in on a few words I use, then go check my profile and then use your own denigrating words. In essence you go for character assassination because your thought process doesn't add up.

Liberals never employ actual intellectual thought and become very frustrated at trying to make sense of what are always arguments based upon emotion.

--hide--

Okay, Joe, I see from you post count that you're fairly new here. As such you understandably aren't all up to date on the cast of "usual suspects."

James refers to many, if not all, of the people here as 'wizards.' It's not meant as in insult. Quite the opposite- think of it as more of a whimsical term of respect. In any case, he is most definitely not singling you out for ridicule.

From what I've seen of his long posting history, I find it highly doubtful that his mis-interpretation of your comment on homophobia was anything but an honest mistake. I have never seen him engaging in ad-hominem attacks before, so I doubt he suddenly started now. I'm sure he simply was reading it too fast or sleepily etc. and failed to notice that you were describing the accusations of others and genuinely thought it was a self-assessment. He has apologized for it and I'm sure sincerely.

As a heads up, your characterization of him as a liberal won't actually hold up very well across the board. He has certain areas of agreement with liberals, and other areas of sharp disagreement. He is rather difficult to pigeon hole politically. I wouldn't waste time in the attempt if I were you, but that's your choice.

He is also far more capable of coherent argument than you give him credit for.

Now back to your regular programming...

Nov 30th 2012 new

Oops- the homophobia comment wasn't yours, but you get my point about the lack of genuine attempt at character assasination.

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Ron et alia,I sure am glad to ...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

Hi Ron et alia,

I sure am glad to hear that health care is not a right. Good! Close all those VA hospitals, and all the vets can sign up for Blue Cross. Right?

James ☺

Surely you can't be serious!

--hide--

Hi John et alia,

John, no, I am not serious. We both know I'm lots of things, but we also know neither of us is cruel. These men and women deserve all the help and support I can give them. People who live in glass houses (like myself) do not throw stones.

And please don't call me Shirley.

tongue laughing

Jim ☺

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Joe-787295 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: Thanks, I've read my own pos...
(Quote) Joe-787295 said:

Quote:
James-17080 said:

Thanks, I've read my own posts, and I know the contents therein.

I know how words and euphemisms are used here by others. You're not the first wizard to use the words "lib" and "liberal" to denigrate someone.

There are two more things I'll address, and then I'm signing off this part of the thread, unless you wish to address what it is that makes me a "lib".

First, you're the one who is threatening to leave CM because of the "liberal muck". During my tenure here, I've never heard anyone say that. Perhaps addressing sensitivity issues is not unwarranted, but you can do that yourself.

Secondly, upon checking your profile, why is the university you graduated from, Temple University, struck out with what looks like a marker? I've never seen that either. I didn't even know it was possible.

Take care,

James

--hide--

I just rechecked your profile, and the strike mark through Temple is gone. I swear it was there last night; why would I make such a thing up?

That's a mystery. In any event, I was not ridiculing you for it.

Profiles are meant to be looked at, otherwise why bother writing them? I often look at profiles, and you should not read anything sinister in that action. If you want to look at mine, go ahead. That's what it's there for.

I will comment on nomenclature. The beings who run CM are the honchos and honchettes. Brian is the Head Honcho.

Posters to any forum are wizards. If you've aquired the patina of seniority and wisdom (like John), I might refer to you as a "senior wizard".

Members who are non-posters are lurkers.

Nobody is exempt.

James ☺

Dec 16th 2012 new

If I lived in Canada, I would probably be a reluctant member of the Conservative party while often voting for independents, fringe-party candidates or write-ins.

(Quote) John-221057 said: Our country has 3 main parties: Liberals, Conservatives, and New Democtratic Par...
(Quote) John-221057 said:

Our country has 3 main parties: Liberals, Conservatives, and New Democtratic Party. The Liberals are a centrist party, the New Democrats are like the Labour Party in Britain (they would be the fartherst left in Canada), and the Conservatives would be the party of the right. However, really our Conservative Party is more like the Democrats than the Republicans. In some ways they're even to the left of some Democrats in the US.

--hide--

Posts 71 - 79 of 79