Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I saw the movie last night and was wondering what others who have seen it, thought about it.

The ones I hear from have very mixed reviews.

11/21/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I saw the movie last night and was wondering what others who have seen it, thought about it.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I saw the movie last night and was wondering what others who have seen it, thought about it.

--hide--

I am finding out that Lincoln wasn't loved by all parts of the country. I mean the man, not the movie.

11/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I saw the movie last night and was wondering what others who have seen it, thought about it.

--hide--

I was quite shocked to see that the votes necessary to abolish slavery by Congress, were procured
the same way that Obamacare was procured in Congress--and that is by bribery and payment for votes.

11/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I was quite shocked to see that the votes necessary to abolish slavery by Congress, we...

I was quite shocked to see that the votes necessary to abolish slavery by Congress, were procured
the same way that Obamacare was procured in Congress--and that is by bribery and payment for votes.

--hide--

Truthfully, pretty much the whole movie was about how Lincoln tried to get the 13th Amendment passed,
the Amendment to Abolish Slavery. The rest of History at that time was added in.

11/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I was quite shocked to see that t...

Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

Truthfully, pretty much the whole movie was about how Lincoln tried to get the 13th Amendment passed,
the Amendment to Abolish Slavery. The rest of History at that time was added in.

--hide--

I wonder if I should go see it. Maybe. I think Lincoln did the right thing. I find it interesting that he had to use those means to get that amendment passed.

11/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I wonder if I should go see it. Maybe. I think Lincoln did the right thing. I find it int...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

I wonder if I should go see it. Maybe. I think Lincoln did the right thing. I find it interesting that he had to use those means to get that amendment passed.

--hide--

Marian: It was a long movie with a lot of dialog. It seemed more like a play to me. It reminded me of the play
1776. I think that you should go see it though. At least it is a moral movie for this age, and historical.

11/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Marian: It was a long movie with a lot of dialog. It seemed more like a play to me. It...

Marian: It was a long movie with a lot of dialog. It seemed more like a play to me. It reminded me of the play
1776. I think that you should go see it though. At least it is a moral movie for this age, and historical.

--hide--

Thank you!!! I will rent or see it... Probably rent.

11/22/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Thank you!!! I will rent or see it... Probably rent.
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Thank you!!! I will rent or see it... Probably rent.

--hide--

I think it will be some time before it comes out on DVD because it just came out in the movies.

11/25/2012 new
Marianne,

I saw the movie, "Lincoln," on opening day here in San Diego county. I would suggest to anyone wanting to see it, that it is not for young children. There is no vulgar language, but the entire movie is filled with intricate dialogue about getting the 13th amendment passed. Interesting yes, but maybe not for those who are not yet acquianted with the political system.

While I love historical movies, and would wholeheartedly recommend the movie to anyone with similar taste (everyone clapped at the end of the movie).

The part I liked was toward the end, after the amendment was passed. Most of us are familiar with the history. I liked that the movie included a conversation Lincoln had that indicated his feelings, in retrospect, about the victory. It was clear that all along he thought that he was doing God's work. He stated that he wanted to go to Jerusalem and walk along the same path as Jesus.

I found that so very touching that a person in politics would stay the course to do such good, and correct such an extreme social injustice----that on the very face of it was so terribly wrong.
11/25/2012 new
I haven't seen it yet, but from what I understand, the movie is very historically inaccurate. Any piece of work that portrays Lincoln as a bleeding-heart abolitionist isn't doing history any justice.

In reality, Lincoln was what we would today consider a white supremacist. He spoke out several times stating that he did not believe in the equality of all races, and to the extent that he wanted to abolish slavery at all, it was only as a means to get all African Americans colonized elsewhere so that he could maintain a white America. As late as August 1962, he stated bluntly in a letter that his objective was to stop secession and NOT to end slavery. Here is the exact quote:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union."

As far as getting the 13th Amendment passed, he actually did not pressure other politicians to support it. It worked the other way around...HE was pressured into supporting it. In his inaugural address, Lincoln actually voiced support for a different proposed 13th Amendment which actually prohibited the federal government from interfering with slavery at all.

lewrockwell.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 23