Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I loved it, because I thought Daniel Day Lewis was awesome and born to play the role (like Jim Cavezi...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I loved it, because I thought Daniel Day Lewis was awesome and born to play the role (like Jim Caveziel in Passion of the Christ).

I thought you would "enjoy" it more if you had a little history lesson before hand to remember what all happened. I wished they kept showing the subtitles of the names more than just the first time you saw a character!

I agree about seeing that politics has been the same game all throughout our history--to think that slavery was abolished, not because it was the right thing to do, but because of horsetrading on the voting, wow....I am not history expert, but it made me think that even through an imperfect process, America did the right thing. I hope we can continue to do that somehow.

I thought the cinematography was amazing. The dim lighting of the White House (before electricity), etc.

On a personal note, I was fascinated by the portrayal of Robert Todd Lincoln, as he was the founder of the first law firm I worked at, Isham Lincoln and Beale, here in Chicago (which is no more). I was always sort of proud of that here in the Land of Lincoln.

The scene of Robert at the military hospital was one of the most gut wrenching I have ever seen...reminded me of that scene in Gone with the Wind where they keep pulling the camera back, and the wounded stretch as far as the eye can see. The carnage that was the Civil War is staggering.

And it makes me wonder now what has to/will happen with our current culture war against life.

ALthough it was not a perfect movie (see some of the comments above), I think Lincoln is the best movie of the year so far (and by far the best performance by DDL), but I have not yet seen Anna Karenina, which might take the cake for me!

--hide--

Pat, that is so interesting about the Law Firm that Lincoln's son founded. I would never have thought his business still
prospered so many years later.

That is so true about the subtitles with the names. That is the part that got me confused and a bit disinterested with all the
dialogue.

I already saw Anna Karenina, and would be most interested in hearing what you have to say, when you see it. I can tell you
one thing, that would not be giving anything away about the plot, because everyone has read the book or seen the other
movies--Ms. Karenina would have fit quite well into today's society. Unfortunately she was born just too soon, given her
nature.

Les Mis is coming out in a movie this December. I am looking forward to seeing it. I saw the play three times already.
It was my Grandfather's favorite book, so I think I am partial to it.

11/30/2012 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I loved it, because I thought Daniel Day Lewis was awesome and born to play the role (like Jim Cavezi...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I loved it, because I thought Daniel Day Lewis was awesome and born to play the role (like Jim Caveziel in Passion of the Christ).

I thought you would "enjoy" it more if you had a little history lesson before hand to remember what all happened. I wished they kept showing the subtitles of the names more than just the first time you saw a character!

I agree about seeing that politics has been the same game all throughout our history--to think that slavery was abolished, not because it was the right thing to do, but because of horsetrading on the voting, wow....I am not history expert, but it made me think that even through an imperfect process, America did the right thing. I hope we can continue to do that somehow.

I thought the cinematography was amazing. The dim lighting of the White House (before electricity), etc.

On a personal note, I was fascinated by the portrayal of Robert Todd Lincoln, as he was the founder of the first law firm I worked at, Isham Lincoln and Beale, here in Chicago (which is no more). I was always sort of proud of that here in the Land of Lincoln.

The scene of Robert at the military hospital was one of the most gut wrenching I have ever seen...reminded me of that scene in Gone with the Wind where they keep pulling the camera back, and the wounded stretch as far as the eye can see. The carnage that was the Civil War is staggering.

And it makes me wonder now what has to/will happen with our current culture war against life.

ALthough it was not a perfect movie (see some of the comments above), I think Lincoln is the best movie of the year so far (and by far the best performance by DDL), but I have not yet seen Anna Karenina, which might take the cake for me!

--hide--

Pat, I forgot to ask you if you ever saw the DDL movie, many years ago called "My Left Foot?" Now that was acting.

12/01/2012 new

I did see My Left Foot, he won the Oscar for that, he was magnificent in that, but he is like 20 years older now, and I think he was great as Lincoln. Like Caveziel with Jesus, here is someone everyone knows (Lincoln) yet does not know at all (since there was not film back then or recordings) and I came away thinking, yes that is exactly what Lincoln was like....

Forgot about Les Miz...that might be great too....

Posts 21 - 23 of 23