Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 21st 2012 new

I just heard on the news that 63% of college graduates think the American Dream is dead.

Is the American Dream dead or alive - dying or changed? What is the American Dream now or is there one?

Nov 21st 2012 new

scratchchin Well, given the evidence you're just presented to support the idea that the American dream isn't dead, I'd say that, yes, it is! sad

theheart

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, given the evidence you're just presented to support the idea that the American dream i...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Well, given the evidence you're just presented to support the idea that the American dream isn't dead, I'd say that, yes, it is!

--hide--

I didn't present any evidence as to whether the American Dream is alive or dead. I just asked the question.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: (Quote) Victor-544727 said: Well, given the evidence you're just pre...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Quote:
Victor-544727 said:

Well, given the evidence you're just presented to support the idea that the American dream isn't dead, I'd say that, yes, it is!

I didn't present any evidence as to whether the American Dream is alive or dead. I just asked the question.

--hide--

I was replying to the blank OP! tongue

theheart

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: I was replying to the blank OP!
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

I was replying to the blank OP!

--hide--

The blank screen happened because of a computer glitch - it wasn't intentional.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: (Quote) Victor-544727 said: I was replying to the blank OP!...

Quote:
Victor-544727 said:

I was replying to the blank OP!

The blank screen happened because of a computer glitch - it wasn't intentional.

--hide--

Hi Patricia et alia,

This depends on how you define the "American Dream".

wink

James ☺

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Patricia et alia,This depends on how you define the "American Dream"....
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Patricia et alia,

James ☺

--hide--

So do you have a definition of what the American Dream was and what the American Dream now is?

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: (Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Patricia et alia,This depen...

Quote:
James-17080 said:

Hi Patricia et alia,

James ☺

So do you have a definition of what the American Dream was and what the American Dream now is?

--hide--

Hi Patricia et alia,

You're answered my question with a question. But okay, I will give an answer.

Patricia, I know this is way before you were born, but I was born right smack dab of the the Baby Boomer Generation. I still remember to this day news radio broadcasts about President Eisenhower and former Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Also, my neighborhood was populated by veterans of World War II and the Korean War. The men and women who bought the houses in my neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago were survivors of not only the wars, but the Great Depression.

The reason I'm giving this short outline is so that you and others might understand where I'm coming from.

The American dream when I was growing up consisted of at least a fairly well-paid job with some sort of job security, and of course home ownership.

Do I think the American dream is dead? No, but those halcyon days when a high school graduate could get and keep a well-paying job are probably history. Even if you're a university graduate like myself, things aren't so good. I worked in data processing for a good many years. I often find myself wondering how soon it will be before moth-eaten places like China or India convince US companies to do all the programming via satellite, on the assumption that programming over there is somehow cheaper than it is here.

What's the American dream now? I don't know, but my guess is that it isn't a heck of a lot of difference between what people hoped for back in the 50s, and what young people hope for now.

James ☺

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) James-17080 said: Hi Patricia et alia,You're answered my question with a question. But okay, I w...
(Quote) James-17080 said:

Hi Patricia et alia,

You're answered my question with a question. But okay, I will give an answer.

Patricia, I know this is way before you were born, but I was born right smack dab of the the Baby Boomer Generation. I still remember to this day news radio broadcasts about President Eisenhower and former Prime Minister Winston Churchill. Also, my neighborhood was populated by veterans of World War II and the Korean War. The men and women who bought the houses in my neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago were survivors of not only the wars, but the Great Depression.

The reason I'm giving this short outline is so that you and others might understand where I'm coming from.

The American dream when I was growing up consisted of at least a fairly well-paid job with some sort of job security, and of course home ownership.

Do I think the American dream is dead? No, but those halcyon days when a high school graduate could get and keep a well-paying job are probably history. Even if you're a university graduate like myself, things aren't so good. I worked in data processing for a good many years. I often find myself wondering how soon it will be before moth-eaten places like China or India convince US companies to do all the programming via satellite, on the assumption that programming over there is somehow cheaper than it is here.

What's the American dream now? I don't know, but my guess is that it isn't a heck of a lot of difference between what people hoped for back in the 50s, and what young people hope for now.

James ☺

--hide--

Perhaps the question should be rephrased to " Is the American Dream Attainable"? I think what those 63% of college graduates are saying is that although yes, they have dreamed the American Dream, it is no longer attainable for them - even with a college degree.

And, I would agree with your initial assessment of what the American Dream was, although I would also include a ownership of a car and being able financially able to marry and raise a family without the wife/mother having to work. I think this at least includes the material aspects of the American Dream. But, I think there are other aspects of the American Dream including upward mobility (whether starting here as an immigrant with no education or simply moving up the ladder from one social class to the next simply by using entrepreneurial skills/success). And, I also think the American Dream included religious freedom and freedom of speech. I do think upward mobility still exists. I think freedom of speech and religious freedom are both limited now both by political correctness and by the justice system upholding atheistic lawsuits. I think these aspects of the American Dream are diminishing.

Posts 1 - 10 of 29