Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Birth conrol OTC

Nov 21st 2012 new

Plan B is in despensers on college campuses so this doesn't surprise me. However, I wonder how Obama is going to force us to pay women who buy them OTC? Women have always been able to get them for free at any women's clinic re: Title X 1970. Obama making a big deal about how he is taking care of women has always been a big fat political lie to get him elected by people that were too naive to do their own research. Smoke and Mirrors is all the Democratic platform was based on this election. So very pitiful.

The bigger question is what this means spiritually for this country?

shine.yahoo.com

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Plan B is in despensers on college campuses so this doesn't surprise me. However, I wonder how...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Plan B is in despensers on college campuses so this doesn't surprise me. However, I wonder how Obama is going to force us to pay women who buy them OTC? Women have always been able to get them for free at any women's clinic re: Title X 1970. Obama making a big deal about how he is taking care of women has always been a big fat political lie to get him elected by people that were too naive to do their own research. Smoke and Mirrors is all the Democratic platform was based on this election. So very pitiful.

shine.yahoo.com

--hide--

As a physician (not even looking at the spiritual ramifications of this), this is a really BAD idea. Birth control pills have side effects - some of them extremely serious (blood clots/DVT's, long-term use correlated with breast cancer, etc.) There is no way any woman should be able to buy birth control pills without being seen and examined by a physician. She may have things in her history (such as smoking) that are contraindications to the use of birth control pills. There are some pills that can eventually be moved to OTC (over-the-counter usage) - birth control pills (oral contraceptives) should NEVER be moved to OTC availablity. It will only cause more harm being done to women or girls who don't realize what the ramifications or side effects could be.

Who came up with this idiotic plan anyhow?! If it's a physician, he should resign and stop practicing medicine!

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: As a physician (not even looking at the spiritual ramifications of this), this is a rea...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

As a physician (not even looking at the spiritual ramifications of this), this is a really BAD idea. Birth control pills have side effects - some of them extremely serious (blood clots/DVT's, long-term use correlated with breast cancer, etc.) There is no way any woman should be able to buy birth control pills without being seen and examined by a physician. She may have things in her history (such as smoking) that are contraindications to the use of birth control pills. There are some pills that can eventually be moved to OTC (over-the-counter usage) - birth control pills (oral contraceptives) should NEVER be moved to OTC availablity. It will only cause more harm being done to women or girls who don't realize what the ramifications or side effects could be.

Who came up with this idiotic plan anyhow?! If it's a physician, he should resign and stop practicing medicine!

--hide--

My comments were about regular birth control pills, but Plan B is just a really high dose birth control pill - even worse for a woman. NO WAY should this be available without a doctor's prescription - whether that means a trip to the doctor or a trip to the ER or a trip to the Urgent Care Clinic (whatever). I wouldn't even prescribe this (and fortunately, never had to).

Nov 21st 2012 new
I was reading the article in the news the other day, and what I gathered it will save the insurance co. moneys, they won't have to pay for it. Another scheme to save the royal dollar. I do not think it is wise to sell it over the counter, some people are going to get some very bad side effects from it, others would probably still get pregnant, not understanding how to use it right.

When it comes to money, it always wins.
Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Plan B is in despensers on college campuses so this doesn't surprise me. However, I wonder how...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

shine.yahoo.com

--hide--

Hi Laura et alia,

I'm divided on this issue. Indiscriminate use of steroids is bad, which is a very good reason why birth control pills should remain Rx only. On the other hand, if these drugs are available over the counter, then any suggestion that the government should provide them for "free" pretty much evaporates. Maybe they could be kept behind the counter, where they could only be dispensed by a pharmacist, like some cold remedies.

James ☺

Nov 21st 2012 new
www.cbsnews.com
Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: As a physician (not even looking at the spiritual ramifications of this), this is a rea...

--hide--
The real shame is that they profess to care about us....wait to the law suits start happening because they are taking these unsupervised.

Nov 21st 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: The real shame is that they profess to care about us....wait to the law suits start happening be...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

The real shame is that they profess to care about us....wait to the law suits start happening because they are taking these unsupervised.

--hide--
bad for the women...good for the lawyers...

Nov 21st 2012 new

I'd be surprised if the FDA allows hormones to be sold over-the-counter.

(Note that this news story is about a doctors' organization advocating allowing birth control pills to go OTC; to get through the FDA process would take years, if it ever happens.)

Reproductive system hormones are yucky. (I certainly never want to take them.)

Nov 21st 2012 new

--hide--

It seems like more than one physician:

"The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists"

Posts 1 - 10 of 24