Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

"In 1870, Belgium fought as an ally with France against Germany.

In September of that year, Sister Maria Serafina, a Redemptorist nun in Malines, Belgium, was suddenly seized with inexplicable sadness. Soon after, she received the news that her father had died in that war. From that day on, Sister Maria repeatedly heard distressing groans and a voice saying, "My dear daughter, have mercy on me!"

Subsequently, she was besieged with torments, which included unbearable headaches. While laying down one day, she saw her father surrounded with flames and immersed in profound sadness.

He was suffering in Purgatory and had received permission from God to beseech prayers from his daughter and relate Purgatory's suffering to her. Thus he said:

I want you to have Masses, prayers and indulgences said on my behalf. Look how I am immersed in this fire-filled hole! Oh! If people knew what Purgatory is, they would suffer anything to avoid it and alleviate the suffering of souls here. Be very holy, my daughter, and observe the Holy Rule, even in its most insignificant points. Purgatory for religious is a terrible thing!

Sister Maria saw a pit full of flames, spewing black clouds of smoke. Her father was immersed in the pit where he was burning, horribly suffocated and thirsty. Opening his mouth she saw that his tongue was entirely shriveled. "I am thirsty, my daughter, I am thirsty."

The next day, her father visited her again saying, "My daughter, it has been a long time since I saw you last." "My father, it was just yesterday . . ."

"Oh! It seems like an eternity to me. If I stay in Purgatory three months, it will be an eternity. I was condemned for many years, but, due to Our Lady's intercession, my sentence was reduced to only a few months."

The grace of coming to earth was granted to him through his good works during his life and because he had been devoted to Our Lady receiving communion on all her feast days.

During these visions, Sister Maria Serafina asked her father several questions:

"Do souls in Purgatory know who is praying for them, and can they pray for us?" "Yes, my daughter."

"Do these souls suffer, knowing that God is offended in their families and in the world?" "Yes."

Directed by her confessor and her superior, she continued to question her father:

"Is it true that the sufferings of Purgatory are much greater than all the torments of earth and even of the martyrs?"

"Yes, my daughter, all this is very true." Sister Serafina then asked if everyone who belongs to the Scapular Confraternity of Carmel (those who wear the scapular), is freed from Purgatory on the first Saturday after death: "Yes," he answered, 'but only if they are faithful to the Confraternity's obligations.'"

To read the rest of this excellent article: www.americaneedsfatima.org
Nov 27th 2012 new
I am really surprised that no one has responded to this!
Nov 27th 2012 new

Thanks for posting this, it's a really interesting read and something I had never fully understood before. :-)

Nov 27th 2012 new

Very good story that warns us to do our penance now in this life. Offer up every suffering for your sins and those of the holy souls.

A great book on the suffering of purgatory is "Get us out of here"--an interview with Maria Simma (who was visited by the holy souls throughout her life, just like the above story). Very fascinating, and very scary, to be frank. A must read.

Nov 28th 2012 new

That's a really good book about that subject. It is called "Help us to get us out of here"!
It's a story of another vident who was visited by souls asking her for prayers to get out of the purgatory very quick.
I really enjoyed reading that one!

Nov 28th 2012 new

Oops you already mention the book hehe

Nov 28th 2012 new
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: Very good story that warns us to do our penance now in this life. Offer up every suffering for your sins and those...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

Very good story that warns us to do our penance now in this life. Offer up every suffering for your sins and those of the holy souls.

A great book on the suffering of purgatory is "Get us out of here"--an interview with Maria Simma (who was visited by the holy souls throughout her life, just like the above story). Very fascinating, and very scary, to be frank. A must read.

--hide--

Thanks for sharing the book.
Dec 12th 2012 new

Thanks for posting this! I always love reading these things. They help to keep me in line. Here's a link to Gloria Polo. She died and was granted to come back to life. This is her judgement. Boy, did I make a good Confession after reading this one. sorry I still have to read your link.

testimony-polo.blogspot.com

Dec 12th 2012 new

Yes, Gloria Polo's testimony is life changing! It is a must read and it really convicts you of all the sin in our lives.

EVERYONE PLEASE READ IT and distribute it to anyone who might benefit (which is really everyone!)

Dec 12th 2012 new

Thanks for posting this article Helen. wave

It's these torments and sufferings that prompt me to daily recite the prayer of St. Gertrude the Great:

Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great that the following prayer would release 1,000 Souls from Purgatory each time it is said. The prayer was later extended to include living sinners as well.

"ETERNAL FATHER, I OFFER THEE THE MOST PRECIOUS BLOOD OF THY DIVINE SON,
JESUS, IN UNION WITH THE MASSES SAID THROUGHOUT THE WORLD TODAY, FOR ALL THE
HOLY SOULS IN PURGATORY, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal Church,
those in my own home and within my family. Amen."

APPROVAL AND RECOMMENDATION: M. Cardinal Pahiarca at Lisbon, Portugal, March 4, 1936

theheart Dove

Posts 1 - 10 of 17