Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 23rd 2012 new
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Khoa, can you give an example of what you are talking about?
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Khoa, can you give an example of what you are talking about?

--hide--

We had a burial yesterday at the National Cemetery and two of us were appointed to do the service. We split up the jobs and I did a Scripture reading and prayers. I carefully selected the reading from my Catholic Bible which he (the Protestant guy) became visibly annoyed. He later told me that our catholic version is not good etc... I also used the Catholic Church's prayer at the gravesite (which I think is beautiful) and he said I should have prayed from the heart instead of "prayers written by some old guy". I calmly but firmly said to him: "You know, I never criticized you for your part in this service. Respect my tradition and I will respect yours! Agree to disagree if you have to but let's not go there!" When he heard that he started to say that I am being defensive blah blah and began criticizing the Catholic Church.

These people who I am working with...believe me...they come with huge baggages many of whom had changed religions several times already. They have very little respect for our supervisor. The trick for me is to pray for calmness but I will take no trash from them!
Nov 23rd 2012 new
(Quote) Sally-894891 said: Well this is a good place to vent! ;) I'm not sure what your job exactly is. But try to make clear tha...
(Quote) Sally-894891 said:

Well this is a good place to vent! ;) I'm not sure what your job exactly is. But try to make clear that you want to seperate your personal life from your worklife. I don't know what it is that you might trigger in them that they feel they need to pick a fight with you? But keep those bounderies clear for them and also for yourself.
--hide--

I dis agree. In this year of faith I'd challege Khoa to learn more about the why we do things as Catholics and use the opportunity to evangelize! rosary Might be a case of they see you are weak and they can "Pick" one of them evil Catholics away?

Employment rules allowing, of source. Challenge them to attend an RCIA class!
Nov 23rd 2012 new
By the way...these Protestants are NOT patients. They are my co workers!
Nov 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: We had a burial yesterday at the National Cemetery and two of us were appointed to do the service...
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said:

We had a burial yesterday at the National Cemetery and two of us were appointed to do the service. We split up the jobs and I did a Scripture reading and prayers. I carefully selected the reading from my Catholic Bible which he (the Protestant guy) became visibly annoyed. He later told me that our catholic version is not good etc... I also used the Catholic Church's prayer at the gravesite (which I think is beautiful) and he said I should have prayed from the heart instead of "prayers written by some old guy". I calmly but firmly said to him: "You know, I never criticized you for your part in this service. Respect my tradition and I will respect yours! Agree to disagree if you have to but let's not go there!" When he heard that he started to say that I am being defensive blah blah and began criticizing the Catholic Church.

These people who I am working with...believe me...they come with huge baggages many of whom had changed religions several times already. They have very little respect for our supervisor. The trick for me is to pray for calmness but I will take no trash from them!
--hide--
In your professional capacity you cannot of course, but I have used somewhat stronger and more direct language against fundies who verbally attacked my Catholic faith in the workplace. I kept my mouth shut, but if they fired the first shot I considered it open season. gangster duck

Nov 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: My job requires that I work with peers who are Protestants. I tried to steer clear of arguments but they ...
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: My job requires that I work with peers who are Protestants. I tried to steer clear of arguments but they always pick a fight with me over catholic prayers, the way we celebrate, our Bible translations, etc... I am sick of it! Why can't they just learn to keep their mouths shut? I don't point out the speck in their eyes or how "messed up" some of them are. Ugh, just venting...happy Thanksgiving weekend! :)
--hide--

Hi, Khoa,

They're protestants...they protest the authority of the Catholic Church instituted by Jesus Christ and arrogate it to themselves. That's why each protestant is essentially his own hedge-christian "communion," since he's not in communion with anyone but himself.

Their way of protest is the basis of their religion.

Nov 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Clair-6292 said: I dis agree. In this year of faith I'd challege Khoa to learn more about the why we do things ...
(Quote) Clair-6292 said:

I dis agree. In this year of faith I'd challege Khoa to learn more about the why we do things as Catholics and use the opportunity to evangelize! Might be a case of they see you are weak and they can "Pick" one of them evil Catholics away?

Employment rules allowing, of source. Challenge them to attend an RCIA class!
--hide--

Well I disagree with you here. Actions speak louder than words. We don't need to push our religion into anyone throats, especially not to those who do not want to listen. When people voluntarily ask about your religion answer honestly and just, but if someone puts you down like they did in Khoa's case than it's best to ignore and set your boundaries. We should be the better person as catholics and let our actions speak for themselves. Let them feel what they did is wrong instead of lowering yourself to their level. They do this because they want to see that defensive behavior and reaction. Why give them what they want when it's common sense that it won't change a thing and will only make things worse? I think if Khoa calmly says that he prefers to keep his private life out of his work-life that is the best way. If they keep continuing with their behavior just keep ignoring. You made your point and they will eventually feel their actions. If not, only God can judge and keep them accountable for their actions. The most important thing is that YOU know what you stand for and what you believe.

Nov 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: We had a burial yesterday at the National Cemetery and two of us were appointed to do the service...

--hide--

Khoa ~

Don't be afraid to use humor. A friend's daughter yesterday made a Protestant comment about a fact in the Bible. I used a little humor & replied, "Did you know that the world bible isn't in the Bible?" I've also been gently accused of using a Bible that "has more books" & I like to reply "Well, if you Protestants had not taken so many books out of the Bible, we would all be using the same one, wouldn't we?" Don't be afraid to use humor to illustrate the truth with the facts of history.

Nov 23rd 2012 new

--hide--
What was the religion the person who passed away practiced?

Nov 23rd 2012 new

(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: I don't think you understand my position. I never fight with anyone nor do I shove the catholic faith...
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: I don't think you understand my position. I never fight with anyone nor do I shove the catholic faith down anyone's throat. I am very reserved and respectful of everyone's tradition. The problem here is with these people who do not like Catholics in the first place! They will say anything to get under my skin or to get me lose my temper...so far I picked my battle and ignore their negative attacks BUT at the same time I'm very firm in what I say to them...we're not a carpet for people to trample upon.
--hide--
This is a tad different from your original post, Khoa. Of course, they'll try to goad you into a shouting match, or at least get you to say something you'll regret later.

You could get the same reactions from Catholics who have abandoned their practice of the Faith and are bitter. I don't think the verbal abuse will be strictly confined to Protestants.

Keep taking the high road -- smile, do your job as you are supposed to. You're helping to set the tone. If you don't show your annoyance, you will have shown them by example what proper conduct is. I would think (at least hope) that these people to whom you refer are in a minority and that most of them treat you as you should be treated -- with proper respect for you and your position. You're there to help them, afterall.

You can be firm in your beliefs and get that idea across to them without demeaning or offending them. There will always be naysayers, and we have to be careful not to fall into their trap.

You need a positive outlet where you can vent your frustrations. A chapel? Fitness room? Something that will help you.

Nov 23rd 2012 new
Hi Khoa, What was it St. Francis said, "Preach the gospel always and when necessary use words" - forgive me if I botched the quote. The point is if you are secure in your faith, they know you are a Catholic, you will attract them more through your kindness and being at peace with yourself as opposed to winning apologetics arguments with them. As Catholics we have the fullness of Truth and revelation with us, but what draws most people is the fact that we care. God bless you in your work situation. Hope it works out well for you and your coworkers. John
Posts 11 - 20 of 66