Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: (Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Khoa, can you give an example of what you...
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said:
Quote:
Patricia-29176 said:

Khoa, can you give an example of what you are talking about?

We had a burial yesterday at the National Cemetery and two of us were appointed to do the service. We split up the jobs and I did a Scripture reading and prayers. I carefully selected the reading from my Catholic Bible which he (the Protestant guy) became visibly annoyed. He later told me that our catholic version is not good etc... I also used the Catholic Church's prayer at the gravesite (which I think is beautiful) and he said I should have prayed from the heart instead of "prayers written by some old guy". I calmly but firmly said to him: "You know, I never criticized you for your part in this service. Respect my tradition and I will respect yours! Agree to disagree if you have to but let's not go there!" When he heard that he started to say that I am being defensive blah blah and began criticizing the Catholic Church.

These people who I am working with...believe me...they come with huge baggages many of whom had changed religions several times already. They have very little respect for our supervisor. The trick for me is to pray for calmness but I will take no trash from them!
--hide--

It sounds like you are working side by side as chaplains? Yes stay calm. We have apolstolic succession. Of course they are not going to underatnd anything. Just stay calm.

Nov 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Hi, Khoa,They're protestants...they protest the authority of the Catholic ...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Hi, Khoa,

They're protestants...they protest the authority of the Catholic Church instituted by Jesus Christ and arrogate it to themselves. That's why each protestant is essentially his own hedge-christian "communion," since he's not in communion with anyone but himself.

Their way of protest is the basis of their religion.

--hide--
Talking of the word "Protestant" my brother, a member of Catholic Faith Defender said a protestant friend told him many Catholics are bad and most of them are in prison. My brother who is a bit a joker asked his friend, "Are you sure about that? I'll prove to you that there are more protestants in prison. You call yourself protestant because you protest the Catholic teaching. Now the law said thou shall not kill. He protest the law; he kills and goes to prison. The law said thou shall not steal, he protest the law and he steal, so he is in prison, and the law said thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife, and he protest, so he goes to prison for bigamy. So there are more protestants in the prison than Catholics. The guy just left.

Nov 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said: Talking of the word "Protestant" my brother, a member of Catholic Faith Defender s...
(Quote) Liberacion-894835 said:

Talking of the word "Protestant" my brother, a member of Catholic Faith Defender said a protestant friend told him many Catholics are bad and most of them are in prison. My brother who is a bit a joker asked his friend, "Are you sure about that? I'll prove to you that there are more protestants in prison. You call yourself protestant because you protest the Catholic teaching. Now the law said thou shall not kill. He protest the law; he kills and goes to prison. The law said thou shall not steal, he protest the law and he steal, so he is in prison, and the law said thou shall not covet thy neighbors wife, and he protest, so he goes to prison for bigamy. So there are more protestants in the prison than Catholics. The guy just left.

--hide--

Ha! That is really witty, Liberacion!

Nov 25th 2012 new

(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: We had a burial yesterday at the National Cemetery and two of us were appointed to do the service...
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said:

We had a burial yesterday at the National Cemetery and two of us were appointed to do the service. We split up the jobs and I did a Scripture reading and prayers. I carefully selected the reading from my Catholic Bible which he (the Protestant guy) became visibly annoyed. He later told me that our catholic version is not good etc... I also used the Catholic Church's prayer at the gravesite (which I think is beautiful) and he said I should have prayed from the heart instead of "prayers written by some old guy". I calmly but firmly said to him: "You know, I never criticized you for your part in this service. Respect my tradition and I will respect yours! Agree to disagree if you have to but let's not go there!" When he heard that he started to say that I am being defensive blah blah and began criticizing the Catholic Church.

These people who I am working with...believe me...they come with huge baggages many of whom had changed religions several times already. They have very little respect for our supervisor. The trick for me is to pray for calmness but I will take no trash from them!
--hide--

you handled yourself beautifully here. good work.

Nov 25th 2012 new
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: My job requires that I work with peers who are Protestants. I tried to steer clear of arguments but they always pic...
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: My job requires that I work with peers who are Protestants. I tried to steer clear of arguments but they always pick a fight with me over catholic prayers, the way we celebrate, our Bible translations, etc... I am sick of it! Why can't they just learn to keep their mouths shut? I don't point out the speck in their eyes or how "messed up" some of them are. Ugh, just venting...happy Thanksgiving weekend! :)
--hide--
Whatever you do, steer clear of the Missouri Synod Lutherans. They are very anti Catholic. Ugh.
Nov 25th 2012 new
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: My job requires that work with peers who are Protestants. I tried to steer clear of arguments but they always pick...
(Quote) Khoa-813439 said: My job requires that work with peers who are Protestants. I tried to steer clear of arguments but they always pick a fight with me over catholic prayers, the way we celebrate, our Bible translations, etc... I am sick of it! Why can't they just learn to keep their mouths shut? I don't point out the speck in their eyes or how "messed up" some of them are. Ugh, just venting...happy Thanksgiving weekend! :)
--hide--
why bring up issues that you know will create major problems for you at work? in my workplace many people pray before eating (with their hands covering their faces or their heads completely down on the table). I have no problems with seeing different types of prayers. Since I have some Protestant upbringing I am interested in what the fight is all about.
Nov 25th 2012 new
don't worry about how you handled the buriel. Apparently, what you said was from the heart or else you wouldn't have said it at all. Ignore the other guy
Nov 25th 2012 new
(Quote) Connie-17641 said: don't worry about how you handled the buriel. Apparently, what you said was from the heart or else you wouldn&...
(Quote) Connie-17641 said: don't worry about how you handled the buriel. Apparently, what you said was from the heart or else you wouldn't have said it at all. Ignore the other guy
--hide--
couldn't spell check in time. oh well. got another opportunity to post. Make peace with all your co workers since we spend the majority of our day with them.
Nov 27th 2012 new

It's not just the protestants Khoa. The Pharisees are alive and well here on CM, and boy do they wear me out sometimes...oof!

Nov 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Daniel-634934 said: It's not just the protestants Khoa. The Pharisees are alive and well here on CM, and boy do ...
(Quote) Daniel-634934 said:

It's not just the protestants Khoa. The Pharisees are alive and well here on CM, and boy do they wear me out sometimes...oof!

--hide--
And the Sadducees too.

Posts 41 - 50 of 66