Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I was looking at a book review of The Hobbit, which will be coming out as a movie on December 4th. Following the review, there are (or at least were at the time of my reading) twenty-two comments about The Hobbit written by children. Those comments are at this link: www.readingmatters.co.uk Even though the quality of their writing cannot be mistaken for that of a professional book reviewer, I was struck by how well the young reviewers performed.

Do you think that children really wrote those remarks or do you suspect a lot of professional editing? scratchchin

How do you compare the quality in their prose to what you read in the fora? scratchchin

Inevitably the nature of that last question may make it seem like a shot across the bow of people who don't write so well, but that is not my intent. By trade and education, I'm a number cruncher and programmer myself and some of those children may produce better written results than I do.

The "real" review that precedes the opinions of the youngsters is here: www.readingmatters.co.uk

Showing my cynical side, wide eyed shhh

John

Nov 24th 2012 new

I suspect they were selective in choosing reviews to publish. Also, the more literate kids will be the ones actually reading the book, and the ones who take time to write a review when asked.

The forums here aren't too bad. But, what I read on other forums I belong to is often shameful. Poor syntax and grammar, I can forgive, to a point. But the constant spelling errors and misuse of vocabulary make me twitch.

Nov 24th 2012 new

(Quote) John-132457 said: I suspect they were selective in choosing reviews to publish. Also, the more literate kids will be...
(Quote) John-132457 said:

I suspect they were selective in choosing reviews to publish. Also, the more literate kids will be the ones actually reading the book, and the ones who take time to write a review when asked.

The forums here aren't too bad. But, what I read on other forums I belong to is often shameful. Poor syntax and grammar, I can forgive, to a point. But the constant spelling errors and misuse of vocabulary make me twitch.

--hide--
John,

Your explanation of why those comments could have actually been written by such young people is very plausible. Thanks.

Any English teachers, writers, journalists or editors ready to add to the discussion? scratchchin

John

Nov 28th 2012 new

I've never known a fourteen year old to use the phrase "enigmatically charming" but maybe they are better versed in the UK.

Nov 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: I've never known a fourteen year old to use the phrase "enigmatically charming" but...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

I've never known a fourteen year old to use the phrase "enigmatically charming" but maybe they are better versed in the UK.

--hide--
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for pouring some fueling into this poorly fed topic.

I have never written a book review, but have read many. What struck me about the comments by these young people were the many instances when the phrases, clauses and sentences contained concepts used by book reviewers even if the words used to describe those concepts were perhaps more simple than would have been used by some book reviewers.

Here are some examples.

The book has a very detailed storyline, which ties in very well with the Lord of the Rings ....

... every word he has written has had so much care and thought put into ....

Although the names are hard to grasp, the characters and scope of the quest is ....

Maybe one explanation is that these students read not only books, but also a lot of book reviews, from which they gained some of the concepts of literary critics.

Trying to turn a new page, cool

John

Posts 1 - 5 of 5