Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: English may be the most frequently spoken language. In reality, we don't have an offi...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

English may be the most frequently spoken language. In reality, we don't have an official language.

--hide--

I agree with Paul. I'm Mexican-American, but grew up in a monolingual classroom. Being one of the youngest in my family, I learned English from my older siblings and my parents didn't emphasize Spanish at home. They spoke it, but also English. I went to go study in Mexico and was laughed at day after day for my poor speaking skills, so when I returned to the US I entered a Master's program and earned my degree in Spanish.

One of the classes I took was Hispanic Language & Culture in which we discussed national languages. It is true as Paul says that the US has no official language. I took it upon myself to learn the language! wink

Nov 26th 2012 new

Don't get me wrong, ladies I do understand your reasoning and for many years felt the same way which is why I never took the time to learn the language properly. But I just don't see how it divides America.

Let's just call a spade a spade, the Hispanic population in the US is booming. Yes, legal and illegal immigration have a lot to do with it. Catholicism (no birth control) ALSO has a lot to do with it. My parents had 10 kids! Don't forget that some of the US territories have native Spanish speakers. The fact of the matter is that we just have to learn the language to keep up. Besides, knowing Spanish looks good on a resume and in many cases being bilingual pays more.

As for why don't the Spanish speakers learn English? Perhaps they don't have the resources or don't know how to access them.

Nov 26th 2012 new

As long as I don't have to learn another language I don't care. People are free , in my opinion, to speak any launguage they like.

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Do you know if Lituania was becoming Communist when your great grandfather came to th...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Do you know if Lituania was becoming Communist when your great grandfather came to the USA?

--hide--

To my knowledge, Lithuania was under Russian rule from about 1800 to 1918...and was tsarist at the time, not communist. After that time, it was under German rule behind the scenes. It was not soviet communist until somewhere around 1939 when Germany started to cede rule of Lithuania to Russia. That said, the reason my great-grandfather, his elder brother and younger sister all moved to the USA was because they didn't want to be farmers...haha!

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: There is no need to play analyst. Language is a sound. Sounds permeate the senses. Some are me...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

There is no need to play analyst. Language is a sound. Sounds permeate the senses. Some are melodious, others
are not.

--hide--

Your assertion that subjective evaluations are facts is ridiculous. But feel free to prove me wrong. Please cite a professional, academic, or reliable source which can rank languages as "melodious" or not based on objective criteria.

Marianne, part of my job involves helping people immersed in other cultures deal with differences and manage culture shock. One of the keys is recognizing that when we are stressed, feel threatened, are uncomfortable, etc. we tend to exaggerate our negative conclusions and generalizations about the "others." We also have to realize that a culture/language/custom is not necessarily wrong or bad merely because it is not ours. We have to learn about the situations of others and be able to emphathize and put ourselves in their shoes, try to see things from a different perspective so that we can find some common humanity in them-- doing this does not require someone to reject their own culture, join the other one, or lose who they are. It does require that we open our hearts and our minds to our fellow human beings. If a person doesn't address any of these things, it's highly likely that they will always harbor negative feelings towards the "others" and things connected to them.

You don't seem to me to want to resolve your discomfort with people who are different from you. You seem content in complaining about how much you hate being surrounded by Spanish-speakers without looking any further into why you're having these reactions. I hope I'm wrong, but it's your life, and that's your choice. I happen to think it's a bad choice.

Nov 26th 2012 new

You are correct that Spanish is a big advantage in the job market, especially since our biggest trading partners are in Mexico and Latin America.

I always thought only learning one language in school was somewhat insular, since in many European nations the children there become fluent in the major languages of Europe (English, German, French) as well as their own. It's not uncommon to meet people from there who are fluent in up to five languages.

In your opinion, what is the biggest barrier to effective language education?

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: You are correct that Spanish is a big advantage in the job market
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

You are correct that Spanish is a big advantage in the job market

--hide--

Steven, since I've got you on this thread... I'm sorry I was rude to you sorry You're right, I don't have thick skin, so I did take the comments quite personally. Then I reread your thread with a calmer tone and understood that it was a harmless opinion. Take care. santahat

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-731971 said: Steven, since I've got you on this thread... I'm sorry I was rude to you You...
(Quote) Brenda-731971 said:

Steven, since I've got you on this thread... I'm sorry I was rude to you You're right, I don't have thick skin, so I did take the comments quite personally. Then I reread your thread with a calmer tone and understood that it was a harmless opinion. Take care.

--hide--

Apology accepted, though education is one of my hot button issues.

That said, what was your opinion on barriers to effective multi-lingual education?

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Apology accepted, though education is one of my hot button issues. That said, what was yo...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Apology accepted, though education is one of my hot button issues.

That said, what was your opinion on barriers to effective multi-lingual education?

--hide--

Yeah, I've had a long day & night. Just got home and it's past my bedtime. Tomorrow I got an evening school function, so I will think about it scratchchin and get back to you.

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: Your assertion that subjective evaluations are facts is ridiculous. But feel free to...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

Your assertion that subjective evaluations are facts is ridiculous. But feel free to prove me wrong. Please cite a professional, academic, or reliable source which can rank languages as "melodious" or not based on objective criteria.

Marianne, part of my job involves helping people immersed in other cultures deal with differences and manage culture shock. One of the keys is recognizing that when we are stressed, feel threatened, are uncomfortable, etc. we tend to exaggerate our negative conclusions and generalizations about the "others." We also have to realize that a culture/language/custom is not necessarily wrong or bad merely because it is not ours. We have to learn about the situations of others and be able to emphathize and put ourselves in their shoes, try to see things from a different perspective so that we can find some common humanity in them-- doing this does not require someone to reject their own culture, join the other one, or lose who they are. It does require that we open our hearts and our minds to our fellow human beings. If a person doesn't address any of these things, it's highly likely that they will always harbor negative feelings towards the "others" and things connected to them.

You don't seem to me to want to resolve your discomfort with people who are different from you. You seem content in complaining about how much you hate being surrounded by Spanish-speakers without looking any further into why you're having these reactions. I hope I'm wrong, but it's your life, and that's your choice. I happen to think it's a bad choice.

--hide--

You certainly feel the need to analyze and correct. I think you are preaching way above your pay grade.
I told you in no uncertain terms the answer to your question, but for some reason you are not ready to
accept it.

Posts 31 - 40 of 112