Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-731971 said: Don't get me wrong, ladies I do understand your reasoning and for many years felt the same w...
(Quote) Brenda-731971 said:

Don't get me wrong, ladies I do understand your reasoning and for many years felt the same way which is why I never took the time to learn the language properly. But I just don't see how it divides America.

Let's just call a spade a spade, the Hispanic population in the US is booming. Yes, legal and illegal immigration have a lot to do with it. Catholicism (no birth control) ALSO has a lot to do with it. My parents had 10 kids! Don't forget that some of the US territories have native Spanish speakers. The fact of the matter is that we just have to learn the language to keep up. Besides, knowing Spanish looks good on a resume and in many cases being bilingual pays more.

As for why don't the Spanish speakers learn English? Perhaps they don't have the resources or don't know how to access them.

--hide--

I agree with you Brenda...it is a numbers game. Most countries in Europe are billingual due to their population and I imagine we will be too someday. Since my son is half hispanic, I wish the other side would speak Spanish to him so he could have that advantage a while because I think we are headed that way. However, he wouldn't understand if they did speak it, so the only time they do speak it is when they don't want him to understand what they are saying. The thing is he had a speech problem when he was little and had enough problems with English. I doubt he will learn Spanish....I wish he could though is my point. When I was living in South Texas and it is 99 percent hispanic, my biggest problem with it was that my friends and acquaintences would speak Spanish when I was around and they knew I didn't understand it....might even be why they did it.....just irritated me because it is like whispering...it is rude. However, they didn't see it that way and I eventually just quit caring and learned to live with it....love my friends, so what else could I do. Most the time, they would translate for me if I asked. For some reason, I just can't hear it....I think they speak too fast. I'm a little better with reading it or I used to be when I knew more of the vocab, I guess. At any rate, I think we are headed towards being a billingual nation and I'd much rather we teach our kids spanish and English and have more Spanish immigrants since they are Christian than any other nation...for instance, we have a large inflow of people from Africa now and they are mostly muslim...for good reason, all these muslims they are letting in scares the crap out of me and I hate seeing the women covering their faces....sets us back centuries for all the progress women have made in this country and the next thing I know we will have Sharia law in our courts...already do sometimes. Indeed, you can offend Christians all you want, but don't you dare offend a muslim. The atheist here in Mechanicsburg had a parade and made fun of the Pope and Mohammed...well, needless to say the atheist pretending to be Mohammed was attacked by a muslim man and apparently the judge said his free speech didn't matter and gave the atheist a lecture and didn't hold the muslim accountable for attacking him. (note...no Christian attacked the man making fun of the pope) Perhaps the judge was afraid of the moslems too....who knows....but I hate seeing our country over taken by muslims as any sane female should.

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-731971 said: Don't get me wrong, ladies I do understand your reasoning and for many years felt the same w...
(Quote) Brenda-731971 said:

Don't get me wrong, ladies I do understand your reasoning and for many years felt the same way which is why I never took the time to learn the language properly. But I just don't see how it divides America.

Let's just call a spade a spade, the Hispanic population in the US is booming. Yes, legal and illegal immigration have a lot to do with it. Catholicism (no birth control) ALSO has a lot to do with it. My parents had 10 kids! Don't forget that some of the US territories have native Spanish speakers. The fact of the matter is that we just have to learn the language to keep up. Besides, knowing Spanish looks good on a resume and in many cases being bilingual pays more.

As for why don't the Spanish speakers learn English? Perhaps they don't have the resources or don't know how to access them.

--hide--
OH, and I should say that my friends said they didn't even know half the time when they were speaking it....they are just so accustomed to it...they would switch back and forth betweeen the languages and not even know it according to them.

Nov 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: You certainly feel the need to analyze and correct. I think you are preaching way abov...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

You certainly feel the need to analyze and correct. I think you are preaching way above your pay grade.
I told you in no uncertain terms the answer to your question, but for some reason you are not ready to
accept it.

--hide--

Yes, you're right- I find it generally helpful in life to examine problems and look for solutions instead of just complaining. To each his own. Forgive me for trying to reach out to you, as it clearly was not welcomed. Good luck to you.

Nov 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: (Quote) Marianne-100218 said: Culture shock is a good term. Because it...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

Quote:
Marianne-100218 said:

Culture shock is a good term. Because it is a culture shock to hear that much Spanish spoken that much of the time
in my own area. It is not general negativity. Spanish is not a soothing or soft spoken language. It is irritating.
At least the Spanish they speak around here.

Whether Spanish sounds soothing and soft-spoken or harsh and ugly is an extremely subjective point. How you characterize it can depend a lot on your other experiences and associations with the language and culture. If you have more negative experiences to associate with a culture/language, you are more likely to think it has an unpleasant sound, and vice-versa.

What is it about hearing so much Spanish around you that worries, concerns, or frustrates you?

--hide--
Our English language is derived mostly from Anglo-Saxon, Latin and Greek, so if Spanish isn't beautiful than neither is English. Spanish is mostly Latin and actually is a lot easier since there is only one sound for each letter. Too bad I can't learn it....don't have the language gift...sure wish I did. I tried my hardest to roll my Rs too and could never get it. At any rate, I think it sounds beautiful! I still wish my friends wouldn't speak it when I'm with them and not interpret sometimes...but what can you do....oh well.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Our English language is derived mostly from Anglo-Saxon, Latin and Greek, so if Spanish isn'...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Our English language is derived mostly from Anglo-Saxon, Latin and Greek, so if Spanish isn't beautiful than neither is English. Spanish is mostly Latin and actually is a lot easier since there is only one sound for each letter. Too bad I can't learn it....don't have the language gift...sure wish I did. I tried my hardest to roll my Rs too and could never get it. At any rate, I think it sounds beautiful! I still wish my friends wouldn't speak it when I'm with them and not interpret sometimes...but what can you do....oh well.

--hide--

Who said that English was beautiful? And your reference to suggest that if Spanish is not beautiful, then neither is English, does not
carry much weight.

Are you forgetting the rhythmic sounds that each language has? The rolling "R's" is one example.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I think I am at the point where I find Spanish spoken around me in such great quantiti...

I think I am at the point where I find Spanish spoken around me in such great quantities that it is getting irritating.
The other day in a department store, I heard a couple speaking Italian, and it was so melodious. I am really getting
tired of hearing Spanish.

--hide--

And yet, every history book we read still tells us:

1) The Mexican-American War ended in 1848
2) the Americans won. ;)

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) William-607613 said:And yet, every history book we read still tells us: 1) The Mexican-American War ended in 1848<...
(Quote) William-607613 said:
2) the Americans won. ;)

--hide--

We continued fighting with them into the 1920s. Remember Poncho Villa.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: And yet, every history book we read still tells us: 1) The Mexican-America...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

2) the Americans won. ;)

--hide--

If we did not win the war, those states they wanted to take back would be in the same situation that Mexico is in
today. I'll say no more.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: We continued fighting with them into the 1920s. Remember Poncho Villa.
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

We continued fighting with them into the 1920s. Remember Poncho Villa.

--hide--

That wasn't still the Mexican American War though, was it? I thought it was just an offshoot of
Villa's fight against the Mexican Government.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: As I walk around the streets, or go into stores, or take mass transit, I hear so muchSpani...

As I walk around the streets, or go into stores, or take mass transit, I hear so much
Spanish around me.

What is wrong with having English spoken in our great nation? After all, that is the
national language.

If one goes to Europe, each country has its own national language. They are proud of
that language and their own culture.

Why should we have our national language and our American culture taken from us?

Sure, things change and that is a natural progression, but when it happens in less than 30 years,
that is more like a forced progression. And now we have a divided America. What is wrong with
a divided America?

A lot is wrong with a divided America.

--hide--
When I was recruited to work here in the US, I was required to take and pass the English proficiency test. To my understanding, English is the major language of this country.

Posts 41 - 50 of 112