Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said: When I was recruited to work here in the US, I was required to take and pass the English profic...
(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said:

When I was recruited to work here in the US, I was required to take and pass the English proficiency test. To my understanding, English is the major language of this country.

--hide--

Kahirup, it is or was the major language. But as others have said, it is not the official language. There is no official language
in America, so as to not offend anyone.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said: When I was recruited to work here in the US, I was required to take and pass the English profic...
(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said:

When I was recruited to work here in the US, I was required to take and pass the English proficiency test. To my understanding, English is the major language of this country.

--hide--

It is the major language but it is not the official language. As I mentioned earlier in this thread: we do not have an official language and every time a bill has been introduced in Congress to make it official it has been defeated. In fact, it rarely even makes it out of Committee.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: My parents were legal immigrants after WWII. While they retained much of their Lithuanian culture,...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

My parents were legal immigrants after WWII. While they retained much of their Lithuanian culture, they still learned the English language. And no region of this country made bi-lingual signs so that they could understand in their first language. None of their neighbors were encouraged to learn Lithuanian so as to make them feel more comfortable or what-have-you.

At our parish staff meetings, we recently started to pray a decade of the rosary at the beginning--half in English and half in Spanish. There's not a single staff member who doesn't understand English; but a handful of us cannot, or do not, pray the Hail Mary in Spanish. And I have attended English Masses where some of the hymns were parly in Spanish. It's bothered me, this unnecessary "catering" to a portion of the population which, in my experience, have in small percentage bothered to learn English at all.

If I move to China, I doubt they'll make provisions to accommodate my native language. And it would be silly, arrogant, and stupid of me to expect them to.

--hide--

It really bothers me to have to press "1" for English, I for one refuse to learn Spanish.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: There is no official language in America, so as to not offend anyone.
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

There is no official language in America, so as to not offend anyone.

--hide--

There is no official language in the US because historically there never as been. The only healthy reason I know of to create official languages is to make sure minority cultures are respected. For example, India has something like 19 official languages in part to recognize the countries ethnic diversity.

The danger in creating one official language is that it can be used as a tool to beat nonofficial speakers over the head with.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: As Paul said, there is no official language in the US. And to provide some historical perspective...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

As Paul said, there is no official language in the US. And to provide some historical perspective, plenty parts of this country were inhabited by non-English speakers (including Spanish-speakers) long before English-speaking Europeans moved in. In every generation there is backlash against the biggest group of "others" who are supposedly threatening the American Way, and ironically, they later can turn into the ones protesting the latest group of "others." Even if first-generation immigrants never fully assimilate and become proficient in English, the odds that subsequent generations will not assimilate or be able to communicate in English is ridiculously small. On the other hand, the odds that those subsequent generations will lose touch with their family's cultural heritage and heritage language is much, much larger. Honestly, do not worry.

Meanwhile, my question is, what is wrong in and of itself with providing assistance to help people understand and communicate with others?

I often wonder how many people that protest language assistance have ever moved to another country where they knew nothing of the language and, as an adult who is also working full-time, tried to learn a new language. It's hard. It takes time and energy and a lot of effort. And it doesn't happen overnight. And in the meanwhile you will be very, very happy to have a little help figuring out what is going on.

Should people learn English in the US? Absolutely. It will help both them and others immensely. Should we begrudge assistance to people who are not there yet? Absolutely not.

--hide--

Hi everybody,
Very well explained Laura you took the words out of my mouth!!!!!
Saludos,wave

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: As I walk around the streets, or go into stores, or take mass transit, I hear so muchSpani...

As I walk around the streets, or go into stores, or take mass transit, I hear so much
Spanish around me.

--hide--

I understand how you may feel. I remember when I went to the USA that I was surprised how many people were talking in spanish, or other languages. But I live in the Netherlands, and am not Dutch. I can speak the language fluently and even my parents who came here at the age of around 30 learned to speak the language. I was raised that it's very important to know the culture and language of the country you're living in. But when I talk with my parents I speak my first language. Even when I go outside with them I speak my own language. So I don't think you should take it to seriously when they speak it with each other. America is the first multi-cultural country, and other countries are now becoming more and more like that. But if people refuse to learn the national language, then I do think that is wrong. Because you are excluding yourself from society.

Dec 3rd 2012 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: There is no official language in the US because historically there never as been. Th...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

There is no official language in the US because historically there never as been. The only healthy reason I know of to create official languages is to make sure minority cultures are respected. For example, India has something like 19 official languages in part to recognize the countries ethnic diversity.

The danger in creating one official language is that it can be used as a tool to beat nonofficial speakers over the head with.

--hide--

I fail to see why the reason there has not been an official language in the US is because there has never been one, explains
the reason why there has never been one. That is not to say that there are not other languages spoken.

Also, I can think of lots of reasons to create an official language in a country. One is called "Communication."

www.nytimes.com

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I fail to see why the reason there has not been an official language in the US is beca...

I fail to see why the reason there has not been an official language in the US is because there has never been one, explains
the reason why there has never been one. That is not to say that there are not other languages spoken.

Also, I can think of lots of reasons to create an official language in a country. One is called "Communication."

www.nytimes.com

--hide--

What I mean is the idea of creating an official language has only been a very recent issue and has not been part of the history or traditions of this country.

Creating an offical language as nothing to do with "Communication" and everything to do with politics.

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: What I mean is the idea of creating an official language has only been a very recent...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

What I mean is the idea of creating an official language has only been a very recent issue and has not been part of the history or traditions of this country.

Creating an offical language as nothing to do with "Communication" and everything to do with politics.

--hide--

Language has everything to do with communication. That is what language is.

Also, it would make things so much easier if there was an official language. Then things would not have to be printed
so many times in so many languages. Signs would be simpler, etc.

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Jane-794001 said: It really bothers me to have to press "1" for English, I for one refuse to l...
(Quote) Jane-794001 said:

It really bothers me to have to press "1" for English, I for one refuse to learn Spanish.

--hide--

This idea of pressing "1" for English has only happened in the last few decades, since the great
hispanic migration into this country.

It does take "getting used to." And many people are frustrated with it.

Posts 51 - 60 of 112