Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Myriam-344031 said: (Quote) Laura-896845 said: As Paul said, there is no official language in...
(Quote) Myriam-344031 said:

Quote:
Laura-896845 said:

As Paul said, there is no official language in the US. And to provide some historical perspective, plenty parts of this country were inhabited by non-English speakers (including Spanish-speakers) long before English-speaking Europeans moved in. In every generation there is backlash against the biggest group of "others" who are supposedly threatening the American Way, and ironically, they later can turn into the ones protesting the latest group of "others." Even if first-generation immigrants never fully assimilate and become proficient in English, the odds that subsequent generations will not assimilate or be able to communicate in English is ridiculously small. On the other hand, the odds that those subsequent generations will lose touch with their family's cultural heritage and heritage language is much, much larger. Honestly, do not worry.

Meanwhile, my question is, what is wrong in and of itself with providing assistance to help people understand and communicate with others?

I often wonder how many people that protest language assistance have ever moved to another country where they knew nothing of the language and, as an adult who is also working full-time, tried to learn a new language. It's hard. It takes time and energy and a lot of effort. And it doesn't happen overnight. And in the meanwhile you will be very, very happy to have a little help figuring out what is going on.

Should people learn English in the US? Absolutely. It will help both them and others immensely. Should we begrudge assistance to people who are not there yet? Absolutely not.

Hi everybody,
Very well explained Laura you took the words out of my mouth!!!!!
Saludos,

--hide--

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Among many Mexican immigrants, there appears to be an undercurrent of, "this country was stol...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Among many Mexican immigrants, there appears to be an undercurrent of, "this country was stolen from us and we want it back."

--hide--

That is being propagated by La Raza. In fact, they are so vehement about it, I think they've actually become a terrorist organization as they are seeking to destroy America.

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: That is being propagated by La Raza. In fact, they are so vehement about it, I think the...
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said:

That is being propagated by La Raza. In fact, they are so vehement about it, I think they've actually become a terrorist organization as they are seeking to destroy America.

--hide--

Is that under the Chicano movement? I heard a DJ, from California, one night, talk about the movement. That was
the first time I ever heard it called the "Chicano" movement.

Dec 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: That is being propagated by La Raza. In fact, they are so vehement about it, I think they've...
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said:

--hide--

eyepopping What? Do you have an article to back up your claim?

Truth is that there are some radicals out there.... like the ones here in TX that are petitioned to get us seceded from the US (good grief surprised)

Dec 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: We continued fighting with them into the 1920s. Remember Poncho Villa.
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

We continued fighting with them into the 1920s. Remember Poncho Villa.

--hide--

Pancho Villa was just a villain in general. He was a bandit that killed several Americans in Columbus, OH and any that dared to go into Mexico, but he killed hundreds of his own countrymen as well. I mean, if you're going to talk about the US fighting Mexico, it continues today with the drug cartel.

But Mexicans aren't the only ones here in the US that speak Spanish. What about those from Puerto Rico? Cuba, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua... plus who knows from where else.

Fact is that the Spanish speaking population is growing. As long as economic situations in their countries worsen, immigration (whether legal or illegal) will continue.

Dec 8th 2012 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: And yet, every history book we read still tells us: 1) The Mexican-American War ended ...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

And yet, every history book we read still tells us:

1) The Mexican-American War ended in 1848
2) the Americans won. ;)

--hide--

Dude, don't make this about Mexico. You're stirring the pot. stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Just because you speak Spanish doesn't mean you're from Mexico.

Dec 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-731971 said: Pancho Villa was just a villain in general. He was a bandit that killed several America...
(Quote) Brenda-731971 said:

Pancho Villa was just a villain in general. He was a bandit that killed several Americans in Columbus, OH

--hide--

shocked I meant Columbus, NM

Dec 8th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-731971 said: Just because you speak Spanish doesn't mean you're from Mexico.
(Quote) Brenda-731971 said:

Just because you speak Spanish doesn't mean you're from Mexico.

--hide--

Gracias por tu ayuda, Brenda, but I am sure that most people on this site are well aware that a large number of illegal immigrants from South and Central America are coming into the United States through Mexico, even if they aren't Mexican.

Dec 8th 2012 new

Well that's a big duh wide eyed , but the original post said "And now we have a divided America. What is wrong with a divided America?" soapbox My point being that I don't see how speaking Spanish divides America, but then you wrote about a war which only focuses the issue on Mexico and immigration. The question is still being avoided. I have yet to read an answer.

Dec 8th 2012 new
Marianne,

I was spoken to a friend of mine about the same thing a couple of days ago. When I came to USA, a long time ago, I arrived in NYC. Most of the people in my neighborhood were non Hispanic. The owner of the building where I lived was European descendants. Now, I go back to that same neighborhood and most of the building owners are Hispanics and the neighborhood itself is Hispanic. It is a common phenomenon in the USA, especially in the urban areas. The Hispanics or Afro American population moves in and non Hispanics and Afro-American population moves out. I am a teacher in an urban school. When I started teaching at the school the majority of the population was white, now they are Afro American. We see it as natural. Of course, the group that moves in to the neighborhood will bring their culture and language or way to speak. We also have a multicultural population of students in our school. We celebrate our diversity and feel proud of that. We, in this region, have a festival of nations. We have 22 to 27 countries represented. We celebrate our diversity through the presentation of our entertainment, food and arts & crafts. It helps to educate the rest of the people about our own ethnic background. It also helps our children feel proud of their heritage and where they are from. This is important for them to be strong and productive citizens in this society. It is very important because it teaches them to respect other people's difference.

I have traveled to different countries in 4 continents. If I do not speak their language, I use mainly English to communicate. In fact, when I was younger a group of Spaniards wanted me to travel with them because I spoke English. I needed their company because I was going to travel by myself. The signs and explanations were written in English as one of the language, I never heard an European complain about that. In other parts of the world, knowing other languages is considerate intellectual. They welcome knowing and speaking other languages. This is one of the fortune of our country, there is no specific color, or feature or height or ... that defines an American. We are all types of colors, shapes and feature.
Posts 61 - 70 of 112