Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

War on Men

Nov 24th 2012 new

Came across an article in which the author laments the ever-changing gender roles and exposes the consequences of feminism. www.foxnews.com

Thoughts?

Nov 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Cory-789423 said: Came across an article in which the author laments the ever-changing gender roles and exposes the ...
(Quote) Cory-789423 said:

Came across an article in which the author laments the ever-changing gender roles and exposes the consequences of feminism. www.foxnews.com

Thoughts?

--hide--

Very well written and right to the point. Women need to celebrate their femininity without being unapproachable and angry. Men will respond. I agree that this problem got worse starting in 1970. I remember growing up when something awful was going on somewhere. So now we have to reap the consequences of what other women did.

Here is a quote from the article:
Contrary to what feminists like Hanna Rosin, author of The End of Men, say, the so-called rise of women has not threatened men. It has pissed them off. It has also undermined their ability to become self-sufficient in the hopes of someday supporting a family. Men want to love women, not compete with them. They want to provide for and protect their families – it’s in their DNA. But modern women won’t let them.

Read more: www.foxnews.com

IMHO Men love and need our femininity, but not some new brand of it that is cold, angry and competitive.

The article mentions that all of that free sex has not helped our (women who want to marry)cause in wanting husbands either. Those ladies who had all the sex, are not any happier now when many men failed to actually commit to them because they did not have to.

Nov 24th 2012 new
(Quote) Cory-789423 said: Came across an article in which the author laments the ever-changing gender roles and exposes the consequences o...

Thoughts?

--hide--

I don't know how "feminism" became such a concept or in some way indicates war on men. Women love men, but simply want to be treated as equals, and not as subordinates, in all areas of life. Why is that such an unreasonable concept.

Furthermore, I don't know how "feminism" and the "sexual revolution" became synonymous. They are two different things as far as I'm concerned.
Nov 24th 2012 new
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: I don't know how "feminism" became such a concept or in some way indicates war on men. ...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

I don't know how "feminism" became such a concept or in some way indicates war on men. Women love men, but simply want to be treated as equals, and not as subordinates, in all areas of life. Why is that such an unreasonable concept.

Furthermore, I don't know how "feminism" and the "sexual revolution" became synonymous. They are two different things as far as I'm concerned.
--hide--

I mean "feminism" such a bad concept
Nov 24th 2012 new

I can't say I disagree with the article, except for the name of it, "The War on Men".

Cat

Nov 24th 2012 new

As a psychologist I see this in my office, particularly with men with drug/alcohol addictions. Read "Raising Cain" and "The War on Boys." Both give further insight--and list some possibilities--on what to do with what you are discussing. The issue that you raise is very ominous, though many men say they won't get married because they feel that they won't be a good father. I also see in my office serveral men who aren't involved in their children's lives because they feel they don't measure up. Fatherhood is becoming a forgotten vocation in America.

Nov 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Cory-789423 said: Came across an article in which the author laments the ever-changing gender roles and exposes the ...

Thoughts?

--hide--

Wow, great article. I have to agree with it. scratchchin

Nov 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: I don't know how "feminism" became such a concept or in some way indicates war...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

--hide--

But what does equality mean? I don't think the author is saying women shouldn't have the same opportunities as men. I think she is arguing that in this day and age, women don't take into consideration the intrinsic value of men as providers and protectors. So as a result, men have been pushed out of their niche. So if we are not really needed to provide and protect, then we get the feeling we can just live in bachelor pads, get drunk on the weekends, have one-night stands, and live like that the rest of our lives. I mean, we won't have the responsibilities of fatherhood. Granted, this is an immature philosophy that sadly many men now believe.

To put this into perspective, in college I read The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. The protagonist Jake is impotent, and this plays out in the book as he is in love with Brett, and her him, but they can't consummate their love. But Jake and his friends, all of whom are in love with Brett, are also impotent in the sense that they can't express their masculine traits. The reason they can't express their masculinity is because Brett is not expressing her femininity. She is twice-divorced, has had many sexual affairs, and has a boyish appearance. That's why God created Eve for Adam. She wasn't created to cook for Adam, clean for him, and wait on him hand and foot. No, she was created so that Adam's masculinity can be fully revealed. I firmly believe that women today have lost that message. If they want to marry a good man, they need to express their feminine qualities. Just like the author says, they need to let men be men. Let them lead. And we men need to respect women, to value them as women created in God's image. But we can't do that if women don't value themselves. Remember, how women act and behave will influence how we men will view them. Their femininity affects our masculinity.

Nov 24th 2012 new

(Quote) David-820720 said: As a psychologist I see this in my office, particularly with men with drug/alcohol addictions. Re...
(Quote) David-820720 said:

As a psychologist I see this in my office, particularly with men with drug/alcohol addictions. Read "Raising Cain" and "The War on Boys." Both give further insight--and list some possibilities--on what to do with what you are discussing. The issue that you raise is very ominous, though many men say they won't get married because they feel that they won't be a good father. I also see in my office serveral men who aren't involved in their children's lives because they feel they don't measure up. Fatherhood is becoming a forgotten vocation in America.

--hide--

I wonder why they feel they don't measure up?

Nov 24th 2012 new

Thoughts?

--hide--

I can agree with the article if you start with the 1970s. However, the 1970s did not happen in a vacumn. The "easy divorce" laws of the 1960s left many divorced women with the children, very little child support, and no career with which to support themselves. They watched their ex-husbands go off with their expanding careers and the financial stability those careers provided their ex-husbands. Add the decline of the influence of Christianity, and women and children were left out in the cold. Of course, this analysis is a generalization, but then the article was one, too, and any discussion of human nature, by definition, is usually a generalization.

When we, as a society, return to our Judeo/Christian values and "no fault" divorce is an escape hatch of the past... families, men and women can get back to what we do best...loving one another, committing to one another and our off spring, and enjoying the love God intended us to have.

I had a psychology professor who theorized that society functions much like a pendulum...we go from one extreme to another. I am praying we are so far left that the pendulum will swing back right...then women can be women and men can be men without political correctness corrupting what God made so right.

As for me, I am too old to change. I may support myself with my profession, but I am very much the lady I was raised to be and expect men to be the leaders, fathers, warriors, husbands, and lovers that God created them to be.

That's just my two cents.

- Elizabeth

Posts 1 - 10 of 120