Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: These "wars" exist only for the benefit of those who derive thei...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

These "wars" exist only for the benefit of those who derive their power from societal division.

Start by removing from power those who have created and continue to advance the narrative that these "wars" actually exist in the first place. They're easily identifiable. They're the same people who continue to gain power and notoriety by creating division wherever they can. If it's not gender division it's racial division. If it's not racial division it's economic division.

And so on and so on and so on...

Has anyone ever noticed that when these people are absent and not telling all of us that we're all victims of some other group that we seem to all co-exist and live as friendly neighbors?

--hide--

There is a lot of truth here.

Nov 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Mark-741232 said: (Quote) Nancy-838315 said: So what do we do to mend this wound between men ...
(Quote) Mark-741232 said:

Quote:
Nancy-838315 said:

So what do we do to mend this wound between men and women? What do we do to help society?

I think the answer is the same as it’s always been. Deeper conversion of yourself and prayer for conversion of others.

The pressure from society is to live for this world. That your top priority in life is getting money, power, and glory. Then your life will be called successful.

God calls us to live for the next world as priority.
Jesus said: “Deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me.”
Society says; do not deny yourself, and do not take up self sacrifice; because that is not living life to the fullest.

It’s unlikely that society will change anytime soon, but a person may need to readjust their own life by asking themselves which world are they living for. Men and woman.

I was told before, for a personal gauge; to take the following verses and everyplace the word ‘love’ and ‘it’ comes up, replace the word with your name to see if you fit there:

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." (1Cor. 13:4-7)

-------------

I mentioned something similar before in a different spot, but if you have plans for a relationship; I think it would be good to have positive role models that you both would like to follow. And I wouldn't suggest ‘All in the Family’. This time of year brings to mind the movie that I think many are familiar with: ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’, -a story of self sacrifice and true riches.

--hide--

Very nice!

Nov 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Donna-521814 said: LOL You are too funny... GBU always
(Quote) Donna-521814 said:

LOL You are too funny... GBU always

--hide--

Funny? Oh and scratch the single part. Still head over heels. Otherwise I stand by what I nsaid. What's so funny about it?

Nov 28th 2012 new

(Quote) David-820720 said: As a psychologist I see this in my office, particularly with men with drug/alcohol addictions. Re...
(Quote) David-820720 said:

As a psychologist I see this in my office, particularly with men with drug/alcohol addictions. Read "Raising Cain" and "The War on Boys." Both give further insight--and list some possibilities--on what to do with what you are discussing. The issue that you raise is very ominous, though many men say they won't get married because they feel that they won't be a good father. I also see in my office serveral men who aren't involved in their children's lives because they feel they don't measure up. Fatherhood is becoming a forgotten vocation in America.

--hide--
David, you are right. My oldest son, Christopher, says that all the time. He is afraid he would not have the patience for his own
children. Although I see that as contrary as most of the women in his age group have children and he is wonderful to them. He is just
afraid that he may harbor some of the aspects of his father's temperment. The safe situation is that those children are not his and he
doesn't have the same obligation to them as he would have to his genetic children. He says the women he sees want to be taken care
of in every area of their lives and he finds that difficult and it may be the type of women he is attracted to as well.

Nov 28th 2012 new

Fox News yesterday interviewed the woman who authored the article of which this thread is discussing. She clarifies what her argument was and her reasons why she feels there is indeed a war on men. This interview also brings up some new points, for example her contention that men have also changed in the past few decades to become more involved in their children's lives.

video.foxnews.com

Nov 28th 2012 new

I posted the following in a topic a little over a year ago and I think it deserves a spot here because my parents brought my brothers and I up by example TOGETHER. My mother was a child of the 50's and 60's, and she firmly rejected the feminist movement and as a result, I believe that she is the epitome of a truely liberated woman.

Last winter I performed a fire alarm inspection for a church near the Boston area. When I was in the parish hall testing devices, I made my way to the bathroom areas and in the ladies room there was one of those spiritual message plaques hanging on the wall by the door. It was titled "a strong woman versus a woman of strength". I took the time to read carefully. It made clear what the Christian womens point of positon was as opposed to what the worldly feminist one projects.

I thought about the women of my past and present. The first example of a woman of strength was my Mom. As far back as I can remember, she was ever present in the lives of my brothers and I. My Dad worked two jobs, 1st shift for the county and then he always had some kind of custodial job to make ends meet. My Mom worked third shift as a nurse. My Dad would be coming home exausted and my Mom would be heading out for her 11 to 7 shift. She would be getting in exausted as my Dad would be heading out. She helped my Dad and never once complained about it. And to her credit our house was spotless and the food was always good and plentiful. I remember when I was in high school my Mom got a great paying job as a visiting nurse, She made more money than my Dad, but of course I didn't find this out until many years later, because my Dad was the head of the house and my Mom had no reason to show him up.

When managed care became the montra in the healthcare industry, my Mom would always find ways to make sure her patients therapy or medication wasn't cut off due to the system. My Mom never bragged, but I do remember how proud and humbled she was when she came home one day to tell us that she saved the life of one of her patients that stopped breathing on her while she was on one of her visits. My Dad tried to do home improvemment, but the fact was he wasn't very handy. That coupled with the fact that he was always working it was up to my Mom to take things in hand, and She did. My Mom taught us how to swing a hammer and paint. How to solve problems with logical and deductive reasoning. She taught us how to do laundry, cook, clean and manage a household. When we visited my brother at his graduation from boot camp at Paris Island, She told the drill instructor that she was my brothers first drill instructor. He laughed with her and told her that he knew it was true because of the discipline that he showed during his training.

When my Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer she was given 18-24 months to live. She found a wonderful cancer Dr. In Boston that wanted to take the most agressive radiation and chemotherapy measures possible. So aggresive that they needed to do pshychological evaluations on her to see if her mind was going to be able to handle it without faling apart. She had always put her faith in God and this time She had asked God to give her just enough time to live long enough to see my first child born. Well, She is going on 6 years cancer free and four grandchildren later.

To this day my Mom will not acknowledge that she did a good Job with us. Her reply is that she really wont know if that is true until she sees how her grandchildren turn out. The thing that I will never forget was her reply when I made a comment on all of their accomplishments together. She said that she could never have done it alone! In my opinion there isn't a strong woman that could hold a candle to this woman of strength.

Nov 28th 2012 new

Men are GREAT,what more can I say? scratchchin
They stay cheerful,honest,and merry until their old and gray Rolling Along
A better friend is impossible to find clap
Thats why they call it MAN KIND thumbsup
Ladies are jealous because they are not like us weeping
Thats why they are always in a fuss hissyfit
So,listen up guys,hold your head in pride wink
And be thankful your not like your bride biggrin wink

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Brian-252799 said: Men are GREAT,what more can I say? They stay cheerful,honest,and merry until their old and gr...
(Quote) Brian-252799 said:

Men are GREAT,what more can I say?
They stay cheerful,honest,and merry until their old and gray
A better friend is impossible to find
Thats why they call it MAN KIND
Ladies are jealous because they are not like us
Thats why they are always in a fuss
So,listen up guys,hold your head in pride
And be thankful your not like your bride

--hide--
Oh, Brian. How I love to hear your poems as you make me laugh.
I am in awe of your use of emoticoms!

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) John-748320 said: I posted the following in a topic a little over a year ago and I think it deserves a spot here bec...
(Quote) John-748320 said:

I posted the following in a topic a little over a year ago and I think it deserves a spot here because my parents brought my brothers and I up by example TOGETHER. My mother was a child of the 50's and 60's, and she firmly rejected the feminist movement and as a result, I believe that she is the epitome of a truely liberated woman.

Last winter I performed a fire alarm inspection for a church near the Boston area. When I was in the parish hall testing devices, I made my way to the bathroom areas and in the ladies room there was one of those spiritual message plaques hanging on the wall by the door. It was titled "a strong woman versus a woman of strength". I took the time to read carefully. It made clear what the Christian womens point of positon was as opposed to what the worldly feminist one projects.

I thought about the women of my past and present. The first example of a woman of strength was my Mom. As far back as I can remember, she was ever present in the lives of my brothers and I. My Dad worked two jobs, 1st shift for the county and then he always had some kind of custodial job to make ends meet. My Mom worked third shift as a nurse. My Dad would be coming home exausted and my Mom would be heading out for her 11 to 7 shift. She would be getting in exausted as my Dad would be heading out. She helped my Dad and never once complained about it. And to her credit our house was spotless and the food was always good and plentiful. I remember when I was in high school my Mom got a great paying job as a visiting nurse, She made more money than my Dad, but of course I didn't find this out until many years later, because my Dad was the head of the house and my Mom had no reason to show him up.

When managed care became the montra in the healthcare industry, my Mom would always find ways to make sure her patients therapy or medication wasn't cut off due to the system. My Mom never bragged, but I do remember how proud and humbled she was when she came home one day to tell us that she saved the life of one of her patients that stopped breathing on her while she was on one of her visits. My Dad tried to do home improvemment, but the fact was he wasn't very handy. That coupled with the fact that he was always working it was up to my Mom to take things in hand, and She did. My Mom taught us how to swing a hammer and paint. How to solve problems with logical and deductive reasoning. She taught us how to do laundry, cook, clean and manage a household. When we visited my brother at his graduation from boot camp at Paris Island, She told the drill instructor that she was my brothers first drill instructor. He laughed with her and told her that he knew it was true because of the discipline that he showed during his training.

When my Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer she was given 18-24 months to live. She found a wonderful cancer Dr. In Boston that wanted to take the most agressive radiation and chemotherapy measures possible. So aggresive that they needed to do pshychological evaluations on her to see if her mind was going to be able to handle it without faling apart. She had always put her faith in God and this time She had asked God to give her just enough time to live long enough to see my first child born. Well, She is going on 6 years cancer free and four grandchildren later.

To this day my Mom will not acknowledge that she did a good Job with us. Her reply is that she really wont know if that is true until she sees how her grandchildren turn out. The thing that I will never forget was her reply when I made a comment on all of their accomplishments together. She said that she could never have done it alone! In my opinion there isn't a strong woman that could hold a candle to this woman of strength.

--hide--
Hi John,

I enjoyed reading your letter and I actually saw so much of myself in your mother. I had called my son's commanding officer and
said a similar line this year and he just laughed. I am happy that you have such good memories of your mother and I only hope
that one day my sons say such wonderful things about me.

Eileen

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: David, you are right. My oldest son, Christopher, says that all the time. He is afraid he would ...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

David, you are right. My oldest son, Christopher, says that all the time. He is afraid he would not have the patience for his own
children. Although I see that as contrary as most of the women in his age group have children and he is wonderful to them. He is just
afraid that he may harbor some of the aspects of his father's temperment. The safe situation is that those children are not his and he
doesn't have the same obligation to them as he would have to his genetic children. He says the women he sees want to be taken care
of in every area of their lives and he finds that difficult and it may be the type of women he is attracted to as well.

--hide--

Hi Eileen,

It has been said that water finds it's own level and like attracts like. We attract what we really are inside. Not well attracts not well and a relationship born in sickness cannont survive health. I see it in my office all the time. I also learned this the hard way and took 2 and a half years off relationships to get myself well.

Posts 101 - 110 of 120