Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Renai-414828 said: Great post Chuka, and you are absolutely right - his loss, not mine...and that has always been my view.....
(Quote) Renai-414828 said: Great post Chuka, and you are absolutely right - his loss, not mine...and that has always been my view..yes, a few guys did value that as a virtue some not so much, and trust me when I say I do choose wisely, but for men who are not serious Catholics/Christians, though what endeared me to them was their intrinsic goodness, it was tough for them to compromise long term...yes for a while, they did, but when you are in a 4 year relationship, after a while, they begin to get impatient...so there! Thanks for your comments.

--hide--

I know what you mean Renai, I've been in a 6-year relationship and yes indeed it's tempting but the guy knew I was worth the wait. But, one thing with such a relationship is that one has to be close to and supportive of the other in every other way through words and actions (spiritually, emotionally, romantically, etc). If either of the couple becomes very busy and/or physically away from the other to support the other as needed, it is very easy for the relationship to fall apart. So I would generally not advise prolonging any such relationship for too long without commitment as it stands the risk of eventually losing mutual attraction, excitement or simply falling out of love sorry

Nov 26th 2012 new
(Quote) Carmen-910629 said: Hi Renai, I never said I had a constant companion, lol, hence the divorce. For ...
(Quote) Carmen-910629 said:

Hi Renai, I never said I had a constant companion, lol, hence the divorce.

For those of us who have been married (especially with children) the perspective on sex is completely different. Honestly, it is not as important in the marriage as you would believe. More important is compassion, consideration, compromise. Sex means nothing without those. The connection during sex is not so much the physcial as the pyschological and emotional unity that comes when two people selflessly give of each other. It is a reward for humility to one another.

Many virginal saints have been able to achieve this level of fulfillment in their communication and humility to God, but also have the assurance of their eternal salvataion. In that sense, I am jealous of them.

--hide--

By constant companion, I meant a husband/wife -LOL. I can see how that may have been misunderstood. I know, sex is not the most important component of a relationship, but could be very important especially if one is in a good marital relationship...
Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Renai-414828 said: By constant companion, I meant a husband/wife -LOL. I can see how that may have been misundersto...
(Quote) Renai-414828 said:

By constant companion, I meant a husband/wife -LOL. I can see how that may have been misunderstood. I know, sex is not the most important component of a relationship, but could be very important especially if one is in a good marital relationship...
--hide--

Hi Renai, that's exactly what I meant too biggrin I wasn't talking about sex either. I meant my x laughing laughing

If I would have had a constant companion, I wouldn't have divorced laughing

It's only funny in reflection btw.

Nov 26th 2012 new

Well....

The holy, immaculate, inviolable, everlasting, impeccable, infallible Church provides Her caring embrace.

For women under a certain age (I believe it is 40) they might take advantage of becoming consecrated virgins. It resets the virgin clock if you will. And, yes, it is an eternal spiritual benefit that is permenantly carried into the afterlife.

One of the greatest gifts there is are women who become consecrated virgins, living out there days in regular everyday society, for the sake of priests. It is called spiritual motherhood. All priests need a mother just as Christ needed His Mother.

Follow the link for a homily on the subject.

www.audiosancto.org

Nov 26th 2012 new

Renai, Good on you for starting a very bold and interesting topic!!

I recently read a story on the Internet about a 21 year old virgin from Brazil who auctioned her virginity to the highest bidder and it was sold to a chap in Japan for $780,000 Euros( I could be wrong about the figure and currency). The girl's reason for orchestrating the bid was that she plans to use the money to clean up the slums of Rio De Janeiro by building schools, hospitals and so on...now really? scratchchin It seems that selling her virginity was just a means to an end and in her book the ends justified the means. I see her actions as totally misguided and morally misconstrued.

This girl's actions should come as no surprise to us, because the media bombards us with superficial messages about sex without fully understanding the sacredness of sex. The values of the world say, "its OK to have sex as long as you use a condom to protect yourself." Concepts like virginity and chastity are becoming foreign and some persons are giving into the pressures of the world. My advice is, "DON'T DO IT", whether you've never had sex or you've had sex before and you've chosen to refrain from sex until marriage continue to remain faithful to the teachings of the Church.

I think one of the things that stands out for persons that strive to preserve their virginity is that their physical abstinence should be reflected in a spiritual desire to strive for a purity of heart. So being a virgin does not only exist on a physical level , it also about nurturing your spiritual life and living a life pleasing to God and I don't think that should ever die. Not to mention that maintaining one's virginity or living a chaste life is a choice and should be reflected in one's lifestyle, but that sounds like something for another thread wink

Nov 26th 2012 new

The older one gets, the more the rightness of the decision and action taken to be pure should show the good fruits of that course of action.

"Blessed are the pure for they shall see the face of God."

What fleeting worldly pleasure can compare to that?

Nov 26th 2012 new

I must say this is a tough question. I feel that two loving adults can "consent" with each other. It has to be in love and in a dating relationshp. Sex is part animalistic and also a way to show love. I think it all depends on the indiviaul person. I do think it is not a good idea to just go sleep around with anyone. It is a very emotional connection so I think two people need to be in a steady type of relationship and not just running around with every one. I think if God wanted one to be a virgin he would have had the person to be in some type of religious order. I just want it to be clear that I do not think sex is a sport or entertainment.

I have found catholics to be very hypocritical on the sex question when I have been on the dating scene. My two cents.

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Chris-921139 said: I must say this is a tough question. I feel that two loving adults can "consent" with e...
(Quote) Chris-921139 said:

I must say this is a tough question. I feel that two loving adults can "consent" with each other. It has to be in love and in a dating relationshp. Sex is part animalistic and also a way to show love. I think it all depends on the indiviaul person. I do think it is not a good idea to just go sleep around with anyone. It is a very emotional connection so I think two people need to be in a steady type of relationship and not just running around with every one. I think if God wanted one to be a virgin he would have had the person to be in some type of religious order. I just want it to be clear that I do not think sex is a sport or entertainment.

I have found catholics to be very hypocritical on the sex question when I have been on the dating scene. My two cents.

--hide--

Just curious, does your priest/Bishop agree with you that two loving adults can "consent" with each other (which I assume is your euphamism for having sexual relations outside of marriage)? It is my understanding that doing such is a mortal sin in the Roman Catholic Church.

Nov 26th 2012 new
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: The older one gets, the more the rightness of the decision and action taken to be pure should show the good fruits ...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

The older one gets, the more the rightness of the decision and action taken to be pure should show the good fruits of that course of action.

"Blessed are the pure for they shall see the face of God."

What fleeting worldly pleasure can compare to that?

--hide--

From a Theology of the Body (TOB) standpoint, whether we are single, married, priest, nun, etc. - we will be like the angels in Heaven, where sex isn't necessary. So if we die as a virgin, we will live like one in Heaven...and from what I hear Heaven is suppose to be than sex!
Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Sonya-261658 said: From a Theology of the Body (TOB) standpoint, whether we are single, married, priest, nun, etc. ...
(Quote) Sonya-261658 said:

From a Theology of the Body (TOB) standpoint, whether we are single, married, priest, nun, etc. - we will be like the angels in Heaven, where sex isn't necessary. So if we die as a virgin, we will live like one in Heaven...and from what I hear Heaven is suppose to be better than sex!
--hide--

Posts 11 - 20 of 157