Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

12/06/2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Agreed, I have a lesbian cousin and a lesbian aunt. They know where I stand, yet I'm respectfu...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Agreed, I have a lesbian cousin and a lesbian aunt. They know where I stand, yet I'm respectful towards them and to their significant others. Would i attend a "wedding"? No. Would they understand? I think so. Would I understand if they refused to attend my wedding (God willing) because I hadn't attended theirs. I guess so...

I have heard Catholics say, "So-called Christians are so judgemental. Why don't they just let God judge homosexuals?" I'm like, Just stating your opinion and belief is not judging. Saying, I believe you are going to go to Hell because you're a homosexual is a judgment.

--hide--
You're in a difficult position, Tara -- as are many others who have close family members who are same-sex oriented. You've let your position be known, but you can still love and accept them as family members. To say they're going to be condemned to the Netherworld in the afterlife is a judgment situation reserved for the Almighty. Parents who have a gay child face this dilemma, but at the end of the day, that child is still their son or daughter.

12/06/2012 new

Of course I love them and accept them as family members. My cousin's parents struggle with her lifestyle, especially since she has a 7 year old son, an my aunt's sister struggles with her lifestyle. (Their parents are deceased.)

But to clarify, I didn't say I judge them. I said that some Catholics who don't understand why the Church is against homosexuality say we are judgmental.

12/06/2012 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: My son lived with his girlfriend for 8 years. I never condoned it, they knew my feelin...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

My son lived with his girlfriend for 8 years. I never condoned it, they knew my feelings but it didn't change my love for him. As a matter of fact he has done many things I didn't approve of. There is a saying that has helped me over the years. "You may not agree or like what they are doing, but you just love them through it". I prayed and prayed, he just got married in the church last month:) She isn't Catholic or even baptized so now I am praying for her conversion. No one is perfect, we love anyway. Pray for him and put him in God's hands.

--hide--

Good comparison, Laura! Overall, this is a very helpful discussion as so many of us are touched by these topics on a personal level.

12/06/2012 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Of course I love them and accept them as family members. My cousin's parents struggle with her...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Of course I love them and accept them as family members. My cousin's parents struggle with her lifestyle, especially since she has a 7 year old son, an my aunt's sister struggles with her lifestyle. (Their parents are deceased.)

But to clarify, I didn't say I judge them. I said that some Catholics who don't understand why the Church is against homosexuality say we are judgmental.

--hide--
Tara -- there was no misunderstanding about your position. It was clear that you were referring to other people who are accusing Catholics of being judgmental. We know where you stand.

12/06/2012 new
(Quote) David-364112 said: Absolutely. But the Mosaic law does not govern the United States. Civil unions are the be...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Absolutely. But the Mosaic law does not govern the United States. Civil unions are the best alternative to avert our nation from recognizing a same sex union as a marriage.

You never answered my question about that foot of yours. Let's name her Nancy.

--hide--

My foot is as heterosexual as the rest of me! rolling eyes

From the Bible: "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."
12/06/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-512961 said: My foot is as heterosexual as the rest of me! From the Bible: "Woe to those who ca...
(Quote) Edward-512961 said:

My foot is as heterosexual as the rest of me!

From the Bible: "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."
--hide--

I know that. But we're talking about American politics and God's law cannot be instituted as the law of the land here. (See the First Amendment of the US Constitution and associated jurisprudence.)

God's job is to judge the people he created. Our job is to love them and treat them with dignity and respect. Quoting this verse and the one from Leviticus is not reflective of Christ's love for us. We're called to imitate Christ, not to run around kicking butt for Christ.

Before the last moment has passed, and God sits as our judge, He extends boundless love and every opportunity for mercy to all. Look at Jesus on that crucifix. Read Christ's parables of the Prodigal Son, the Good Shepherd and lost sheep, and of the widow who searched for the lost coin. THAT is how much God loves us all - including people who don't love Him and all people of homosexual orientation. Never forget that. God loves them. We are called to imitate Christ therefore we MUST love them, not merely tolerate, but LOVE THEM.

Are you sure your foot never did drag? She looks familiar to me. wink

12/06/2012 new

(Quote) Sally-894891 said: I truly believe actions speak louder than words, and I truly believe we were not plac...
(Quote) Sally-894891 said:

I truly believe actions speak louder than words, and I truly believe we were not placed on this earth to push our own beliefs in other people throats. It's the 21st century, people are more than capable of finding out the truth for themselves. If you go and openly tell them that what they are doing is wrong, first of they will not listen as it is human nature too do exactly the oppisote and secondly what you are doing is not letting them respect you.

The evil in this world is growing and growing, and good people can not change that. Don't you believe in our savior coming? Our savior will come and he is the only one that can change the evil in good.

--hide--

First off I think the majority of people here are not pushing their own opinion, but the Truth as possessed by the Church. It is the Church who says that homosexual acts are offenses against God and are punishable by eternal fire. Also it is our DUTY as Catholics to let the world know the truth! If we are not trying to spread Christs word we are not fully participating in our faith. For someone to believe or hear the truth they must have special graces from God and as Catholics we need to pray that those who do not believe receive those graces so when someone does tell them the truth they won't automatically reject it. How often in the Gospels did the Apostles tell people what is explicitly right or wrong, or go out instructing nations in the truth? How can you say that it is not part of our duty as part of the Mystical Body of Christ to speak the truth and let it be known?

I agree that evil is growning, however I highly disagree that there is nothing we can do to change it. How many saints changed the lives of hundreds, thousands, or millions of souls?!

12/06/2012 new
The First Amendment of the Constitution doesn't apply to the definition of marriage. The Mormon polygamy cases already proved this, and the Supreme Court has never vacated them.

Most Americans are ignorant of their history, so they buy into whatever propaganda that gets thrown at them.

Bigamy and polygamy are crimes by the laws of the United States, by the laws of Idaho, and by the laws of all civilized and Christian countries, and to call their advocacy a tenet of religion is to offend the common sense of mankind.

A crime is nonetheless so, nor less odious, because sanctioned by what any particular sect may designate as religion.

It was never intended that the first Article of Amendment to the Constitution, that "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," should be a protection against legislation for the punishment of acts inimical to the peace, good order and morals of society.

Davis v. Beeson (1890)

If we can invalidate the male-female definition of marriage then why not polygamy?

Christ calls all to repentance. If you condone homosexual sex you are not being anymore compassionate than if you condone other sins because you become an accessory by your silence.

American Catholics seem to have forgotten that love means speaking the truth and not mincing words for the sake of souls.
12/06/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: I know that. But we're talking about American politics and God's law cannot be instituted ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

I know that. But we're talking about American politics and God's law cannot be instituted as the law of the land here. (See the First Amendment of the US Constitution and associated jurisprudence.)

--hide--

Incorrect.

Even the Constitution of the United States, which is supposed to have little touch upon the private life of the individual, contains in the First Amendment a declaration common to the constitutions of all the states, as follows: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," etc., and also provides in Article I, Section 7, a provision common to many constitutions, that the executive shall have ten days (Sundays excepted) within which to determine whether he will approve or veto a bill.

There is no dissonance in these declarations. There is a universal language pervading them all, having one meaning. They affirm and reaffirm that this is a religious nation. These are not individual sayings, declarations of private persons. They are organic utterances. They speak the voice of the entire people. While, because of a general recognition of this truth, the question has seldom been presented to the courts, yet we find that in Updegraph v. Commonwealth, 11 S. & R. 394, 400, it was decided that

"Christianity, general Christianity, is, and always has been, a part of the common law of Pennsylvania; . . . not Christianity with an established church and tithes and spiritual courts, but Christianity with liberty of conscience to all men."

And in People v. Ruggles, 8 Johns. 290, 294-295, Chancellor Kent, the great commentator on American law, speaking as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New York, said:

"The people of this state, in common with the people of this country, profess the general doctrines of Christianity as the rule of their faith and practice, and to scandalize the author of these doctrines is not only, in a religious point of view, extremely impious, but, even in respect to the obligations due to society, is a gross violation of decency and good order. . . . The free, equal, and undisturbed enjoyment of religious opinion, whatever it may be, and free and decent discussions on any religious

Page 143 U. S. 471

subject, is granted and secured; but to revile, with malicious and blasphemous contempt, the religion professed by almost the whole community is an abuse of that right. Nor are we bound by any expressions in the Constitution, as some have strangely supposed, either not to punish at all, or to punish indiscriminately the like attacks upon the religion of Mahomet or of the Grand Lama, and for this plain reason, that the case assumes that we are a Christian people, and the morality of the country is deeply engrafted upon Christianity, and not upon the doctrines or worship of those impostors."

And in the famous case of Vidal v. Girard's Executors, 2 How. 127, 43 U. S. 198, this Court, while sustaining the will of Mr. Girard, with its provision for the creation of a college into which no minister should be permitted to enter, observed: "It is also said, and truly, that the Christian religion is a part of the common law of Pennsylvania."

If we pass beyond these matters to a view of American life, as expressed by its laws, its business, its customs, and its society, we find every where a clear recognition of the same truth.

Church of the Holy Trinity v. U.S. (1892)

supreme.justia.com

12/06/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Tara -- there was no misunderstanding about your position. It was clear that you were referring to ...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Tara -- there was no misunderstanding about your position. It was clear that you were referring to other people who are accusing Catholics of being judgmental. We know where you stand.

--hide--

Good!

Posts 51 - 60 of 80