Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I attended a Christ the King Mass at Holy Name Cathedral yesterday sponsored by the Chicago Catholic Charismatic Renewal. In the homily, Fr. John Harvey, a long-time diocesan priest who is pastor of 2 parishes (now combined or in the process of combining) and the Cardinal's liason/ director of the Chicago Catholic Charismatic Renewal, stated loud and clear that we are now living in a post-Christian society and that in fact we are now living in a Neo-pagan society! He repeated this twice to make sure we got the point.

I don't think I have heard anyone, let alone a priest in a position of authority state that we are living in a Neo-pagan society. It has stayed with me overnight and although very little frightens me, I do find this statement of fact upsetting (likely because I think he is right).

So, do you think we are living in a Neo-pagan world? Is it just the U.S. and Europe and Canada and Australia (ie., Western society)? And, what can we do about it (other than pray, pray, pray)?

This also reminds me of the statement previously made by Cardinal Francis George of Chicago who stated that he believes that he will be the last Cardinal of Chicago to die at home in his bed. He stated that he believes his successor will die in jail, and that the following successor will be martyred in the Public Square. And, finally, that the successor after that will start to pick up the pieces of civilization that are left (I'm paraphrasing this last sentence as I don't remember the exact words). This is also eye-opening, jaw-dropping - to say the least. Cardinal George is such a profoundly devout, intelligent man, and so I truly value his opinion and trust that he knows what he is talking about.

I wonder and am now starting to think about what we can and perhaps should be doing (again, in addition to Mass, Prayer, Rosary, Eucharistic Adoration, Novenas, etc.) to try to change what these 2 Holy Men of God think is happening to our culture and our world. Any thoughts?

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I attended a Christ the King Mass at Holy Name Cathedral yesterday sponsored by the Chicago Cat...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I attended a Christ the King Mass at Holy Name Cathedral yesterday sponsored by the Chicago Catholic Charismatic Renewal. In the homily, Fr. John Harvey, a long-time diocesan priest who is pastor of 2 parishes (now combined or in the process of combining) and the Cardinal's liason/ director of the Chicago Catholic Charismatic Renewal, stated loud and clear that we are now living in a post-Christian society and that in fact we are now living in a Neo-pagan society! He repeated this twice to make sure we got the point.

I don't think I have heard anyone, let alone a priest in a position of authority state that we are living in a Neo-pagan society. It has stayed with me overnight and although very little frightens me, I do find this statement of fact upsetting (likely because I think he is right).

So, do you think we are living in a Neo-pagan world? Is it just the U.S. and Europe and Canada and Australia (ie., Western society)? And, what can we do about it (other than pray, pray, pray)?

This also reminds me of the statement previously made by Cardinal Francis George of Chicago who stated that he believes that he will be the last Cardinal of Chicago to die at home in his bed. He stated that he believes his successor will die in jail, and that the following successor will be martyred in the Public Square. And, finally, that the successor after that will start to pick up the pieces of civilization that are left (I'm paraphrasing this last sentence as I don't remember the exact words). This is also eye-opening, jaw-dropping - to say the least. Cardinal George is such a profoundly devout, intelligent man, and so I truly value his opinion and trust that he knows what he is talking about.

I wonder and am now starting to think about what we can and perhaps should be doing (again, in addition to Mass, Prayer, Rosary, Eucharistic Adoration, Novenas, etc.) to try to change what these 2 Holy Men of God think is happening to our culture and our world. Any thoughts?

--hide--

I would agree with the priest's homily; we are living in a neo-pagan world, and certainly a neo-pagan nation. I think further that this change, which has been within living memory, carries vast implications for how we should live a Christian live.

For one thing, we can no longer afford the luxury of being Christians in church and just another person in the world. The Church must go out into the world to evangelize, and also to form communities to attend to the needs of our brethren as we did in the day of the Roman Empire.

It means, for another, that along with prayer we must be more fervent in the reception of, and our interior disposition toward, the sacraments. It means that we should go to confession more often and attend daily mass when we can and not just Sunday mass.

It means that, during these days, we all the more must be Christ's Disciples and trust in Him. That is the Faith and the Patience of the Saints.

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: I would agree with the priest's homily; we are living in a neo-pagan world, and cer...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

I would agree with the priest's homily; we are living in a neo-pagan world, and certainly a neo-pagan nation. I think further that this change, which has been within living memory, carries vast implications for how we should live a Christian live.

For one thing, we can no longer afford the luxury of being Christians in church and just another person in the world. The Church must go out into the world to evangelize, and also to form communities to attend to the needs of our brethren as we did in the day of the Roman Empire.

It means, for another, that along with prayer we must be more fervent in the reception of, and our interior disposition toward, the sacraments. It means that we should go to confession more often and attend daily mass when we can and not just Sunday mass.

It means that, during these days, we all the more must be Christ's Disciples and trust in Him. That is the Faith and the Patience of the Saints.

--hide--

Yes, Fr. Harvey said we must evangelize. What do you mean by communities? What kind of communities? Are you talking about small community prayer groups or ?

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I attended a Christ the King Mass at Holy Name Cathedral yesterday sponsored by the Chicago Cat...

--hide--

It also has implications for the type of nation we live in. The leftists denouce aggresive warfare and usury while turning a blind eye to sexual antics and abortion. Many (not all) Rightists are the opposite. However, a pagan empire, which is the tradition this country is fast turning to while falling away from both normative Christian morals and a tradition of being a republic, has all of the above, and they are intimately connected.

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: It also has implications for the type of nation we live in. The leftists denouce aggres...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

It also has implications for the type of nation we live in. The leftists denouce aggresive warfare and usury while turning a blind eye to sexual antics and abortion. Many (not all) Rightists are the opposite. However, a pagan empire, which is the tradition this country is fast turning to while falling away from both normative Christian morals and a tradition of being a republic, has all of the above, and they are intimately connected.

--hide--

You ever read about Fr. Sirico?

Nov 26th 2012 new

(Quote) Sean-851370 said: You ever read about Fr. Sirico?
(Quote) Sean-851370 said:

You ever read about Fr. Sirico?

--hide--

In support of or objection to what?

Nov 26th 2012 new

Interesting article about Post-Christian America by a Fr. McCloskey III. It states that America will either become predominantly Catholic or it will perish! And, it maintains that Protestantism cannot do anything to save the country as it is in serious decline. Here's the link:

www.thecatholicthing.org

Nov 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Interesting article about Post-Christian America by a Fr. McCloskey III. It states that America...

Interesting article about Post-Christian America by a Fr. McCloskey III. It states that America will either become predominantly Catholic or it will perish! And, it maintains that Protestantism cannot do anything to save the country as it is in serious decline. Here's the link:

www.thecatholicthing.org

--hide--
Well, in my town, Catholism is what had declined. There is a protestant church on every block but only one Catholic church with a very tiny population. Of course, the protestant churches allow more of what we call sin into their doctrine so they can be open to more people....not that we aren't open to everyone, but they don't like being told that what they are doing is sin. Then again, as we have discussed in other threads, liberalism has snuck into the Catholic faith too and they are trying to change it from within as well. There is a thread now about how the Knights of Columbus are being attacked by so called Catholics because they don't like how the Knights defend traditional families.

At any rate, I'd say we are and I'm really scared for my son and my future grandchildren that he most likely will have once he grows up. All I can do is pray for him a while though.

Nov 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Interesting article about Post-Christian America by a Fr. McCloskey III. It states that America...

www.thecatholicthing.org

--hide--

The main branches of Protestantism; i.e. Methodists, Anglicans/Episcopalians, etc. are in serious decline. In fact there are less than 250,000 Anglicans/Episcopalians in the whole US. The newer Sects are growing. But overall the losses in the mainlines are not being offset by the growth of the newer ones.

The general feeling expressed in the Catholic Church is that we have stopped hemorrhaging members and those who practice on a regular basis are becoming more devout. Seminaries are growing after many years of decline and stagnation and that the men entering are of a much higher quality than in the past and they are being better educated with more orthodoxy.

The orders of men that are truest to their origins and more orthodox are growing.

The number of women entering convents is also increasing. As with the men, those congregations that are more orthodox are growing while those that abandoned their founder's original purpose and turned their attention to social do-gooding are dying out. Interestingly enough, those congregations of women that wear or have reverted to their traditional habits, and who live in Community are growing fastest of all.

In short, the practising Church is growing stronger. We will probably see more of the cafeteria and Christmas/Easter Catholics leave and either go to the more modern Protestant Churches or just become more entrenched into the secular society.

That tend will be exacerbated by the coming persecution.

Nov 27th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The main branches of Protestantism; i.e. Methodists, Anglicans/Episcopalians, etc. are in...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The main branches of Protestantism; i.e. Methodists, Anglicans/Episcopalians, etc. are in serious decline. In fact there are less than 250,000 Anglicans/Episcopalians in the whole US. The newer Sects are growing. But overall the losses in the mainlines are not being offset by the growth of the newer ones.

The general feeling expressed in the Catholic Church is that we have stopped hemorrhaging members and those who practice on a regular basis are becoming more devout. Seminaries are growing after many years of decline and stagnation and that the men entering are of a much higher quality than in the past and they are being better educated with more orthodoxy.

The orders of men that are truest to their origins and more orthodox are growing.

The number of women entering convents is also increasing. As with the men, those congregations that are more orthodox are growing while those that abandoned their founder's original purpose and turned their attention to social do-gooding are dying out. Interestingly enough, those congregations of women that wear or have reverted to their traditional habits, and who live in Community are growing fastest of all.

In short, the practising Church is growing stronger. We will probably see more of the cafeteria and Christmas/Easter Catholics leave and either go to the more modern Protestant Churches or just become more entrenched into the secular society.

That tend will be exacerbated by the coming persecution.

--hide--

Good analysis, Paul! It sounds like a process of weeding out, so to speak. And, perhaps that is for the best as for the coming battles of good vs. evil, we will need strong, devout Catholics in place. I suspect most of the cafeteria Catholics will just go the route of secular society unless they have a conversion of heart/soul which we should certainly pray to the Holy Spirit for. It would be interesting to know the time frame of all this (and it looks like Cardinal George did indicate something about that).

Posts 1 - 10 of 11