Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Nov 29th 2012 new

The exact same thing happened to me. I met (initially on here, later on FB) a wonderful woman who was a convert, and very passionate about the faith. She stated that the Latin Mass is the only true Mass, and also discussed her disdain for those who didn't practice a particular dress code. A different couple at my parish told me that I had to attend the Mass with their group in order to meet the "REAL Jesus". Needless to say, I very seldom communicate with these people anymore.

It's not that I don't want to participate more fully in the Mass. I just don't care for the legalistic, scrupulous types that feel they need to force it on me. I've yet to read in the Gospels where Jesus says "Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, but only under a certain dress code and only in the Latin Mass." I really wonder what he would say to the people you described.

Nov 29th 2012 new

I still don't understand the comment from one member of my former parish that Jesus is present in both versions, but more present in the Latin. How can that be?

Nov 29th 2012 new

clap highfive thumbsup

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: I still don't understand the comment from one member of my former parish that Jesus is present ...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

I still don't understand the comment from one member of my former parish that Jesus is present in both versions, but more present in the Latin. How can that be?

--hide--

Some people have a tendency to re-create god in their own image. It's much easier to "win" an argument if you just proclaim that you're right because "god says so," or "god likes my way better."

There are too many traditionalists who have an incredibly chauvinistic attitude.

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: I still don't understand the comment from one member of my former parish that Jesus is present ...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

--hide--

Be thankful you can't understand it - because it's NONSENSE.

Nov 30th 2012 new
(Quote) Carl-98335 said: The exact same thing happened to me. I met (initially on here, later on FB) a wonderful woman who was a convert,...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

The exact same thing happened to me. I met (initially on here, later on FB) a wonderful woman who was a convert, and very passionate about the faith. She stated that the Latin Mass is the only true Mass, and also discussed her disdain for those who didn't practice a particular dress code. A different couple at my parish told me that I had to attend the Mass with their group in order to meet the "REAL Jesus". Needless to say, I very seldom communicate with these people anymore.

It's not that I don't want to participate more fully in the Mass. I just don't care for the legalistic, scrupulous types that feel they need to force it on me. I've yet to read in the Gospels where Jesus says "Come to me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, but only under a certain dress code and only in the Latin Mass." I really wonder what he would say to the people you described.

--hide--

The Holy Spirit guides all of us, but sometimes leads us to God through slightly different paths, but always through Jesus. Corinthians 12:20 discusses that there are many parts but one body. We are all united, brothers and sisters, in Christ through our Catholic faith- can't we start acting like it. This rift between the people of different Catholic rites seems, to me, worse than people of Protestant religions towards Catholics. NO ONE has the ability to look into the heart of other people and see the depth of their connections to God. And NO ONE should feel that their connection to God is someone deeper than another's solely because of the mass they attend, or that somehow the mass they choose is more correct than another's. That is judgmental and un-Christian. Can't we just all get along as Catholics.
Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: The Holy Spirit guides all of us, but sometimes leads us to God through slightly different p...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

The Holy Spirit guides all of us, but sometimes leads us to God through slightly different paths, but always through Jesus. Corinthians 12:20 discusses that there are many parts but one body. We are all united, brothers and sisters, in Christ through our Catholic faith- can't we start acting like it. This rift between the people of different Catholic rites seems, to me, worse than people of Protestant religions towards Catholics. NO ONE has the ability to look into the heart of other people and see the depth of their connections to God. And NO ONE should feel that their connection to God is someone deeper than another's solely because of the mass they attend, or that somehow the mass they choose is more correct than another's. That is judgmental and un-Christian. Can't we just all get along as Catholics.
--hide--

There is little animosity between Catholics of various rites. What is being discussed here are not different rites but persons who are so ignorant of their faith that they display no Christianity to others who do not see things the way they do.

Nov 30th 2012 new
This has been a real educational thread for me. Thanks everyone
Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: There is little animosity between Catholics of various rites. What is being discussed her...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

There is little animosity between Catholics of various rites. What is being discussed here are not different rites but persons who are so ignorant of their faith that they display no Christianity to others who do not see things the way they do.

--hide--

I often attend the TLM (Traditional Latin Mass or Extraordinary Form EF) as I find it really reverant and I prefer the traditional liturgy. I do also attend the Novus Ordo (OF Ordinary Form, in English or other languages) and the Ukrainian Byzantine Masses at times as well. There are many great people who are truly devout and wanting to live out a traditional faith at the TLM. I've also met many who are a bit "holier than thou" and remind me of the Pharisees. These people however are not indicative of what is lovely about the TLM. They are people, and sinners like the rest of us, who need to be reminded that charity is a virtue. I find some things about the Novus Ordo liturgy a bit distracting and not always in line with traditional Catholic teaching. That said, everytime I attend the NO, I do remember that there are people in that parish that are holier than I will ever be.

Some of the recent changes in the NO are being addressed by the Vatican, and there is a movement to bring back more traditional liturgical practice. Too many details to go into, but look up some of the writings by Cardinal Arinze (or check out videos of him on youtube) to get more information.

I believe that when Jesus asks us about our faith, he won't be asking which liturgy we went to, but rather how we lived our faith and how much we loved our brothers and sisters in Christ. Someone without much understanding of the traditions of the faith may have a purer heart that would be pleasing to our Lord than someone who knew much but loved little.

Nov 30th 2012 new

Back to the original question (sorry, distracted by some of the not so nice debate), I do know couples who seem to be happy but who don't attend the same liturgy, and that does cause some stress. More so, if children are involved. I believe children need to grow up well connected to a parish community, but that doesn't mean that people can't visit different liturgies at different times. I do, but as I said before, I am usually at the TLM.

For dating /courting couples who are getting serious, eventually a decision will need to be made as to where the family will attend. That will require much prayer for good discernment by both parties. In my opinion, it may be harder for a person who prefers the EF /TLM to change to the OF /NO as there are elements that would be very distracting in worshipping faithfully. I strongly disagree that the TLM is "nonsense" and that shows a lack of understanding on the part of the gentleman who made that comment.

Posts 31 - 40 of 180