Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: Also, whatever happened to the guy Obama tried to pin the uprising on and even had arrested?...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

Also, whatever happened to the guy Obama tried to pin the uprising on and even had arrested?

--hide--

Mark Basseley Youssef got put in Federal Prison for a probation violation that, had he not made the film, nobody would have noticed. He is now the first American political prisoner for violating Sharia Law against blasphemy by calling a false prophet a false prophet.

www.jihadwatch.org

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: The fact that you include Libya is less amazing when you consider that the only way to in...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

The fact that you include Libya is less amazing when you consider that the only way to include it (or Syria) is to have a "creative" definition of what constitutes a client state.

I will agree that the Democrats are certainly showing themselves to be at the very least hypocritical in their sudden embrace of the necesity of regieme change.

--hide--

Actually Libya was. It allowed rendition of suspected terrorists into their country. And as a reward for giving us their nuclear material and joining our side of the GWOT, all sanctions were lifted and the nation actually prospered.

I find it amazing to say as well, having gone through college when Reagan was bombing it reguarly as a terrorist sponsor state.

The point is that they were not an enemy of the U.S., so what exactly was our grand reason for overthrowing Gaddafi anyway?

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Mark Basseley Youssef got put in Federal Prison for a probation violation that, had he ...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

Mark Basseley Youssef got put in Federal Prison for a probation violation that, had he not made the film, nobody would have noticed. He is now the first American political prisoner for violating Sharia Law against blasphemy by calling a false prophet a false prophet.

www.jihadwatch.org

--hide--

Sorry, no sympathy here. If you are on probation, violate that probation, and then are stupid enough to draw aattention to yourself, you have nobody but yourself to blame. And if you're that dumb, you frankly deserve it.

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: Actually Libya was. It allowed rendition of suspected terrorists into their country. An...

Actually Libya was. It allowed rendition of suspected terrorists into their country. And as a reward for giving us their nuclear material and joining our side of the GWOT, all sanctions were lifted and the nation actually prospered.

I find it amazing to say as well, having gone through college when Reagan was bombing it reguarly as a terrorist sponsor state.

The point is that they were not an enemy of the U.S., so what exactly was our grand reason for overthrowing Gaddafi anyway?

--hide--

In other words, I'm right; you have "creative" definition of what constitutes a client state.

Libya and Syria were both Soviet client states, not American.

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Sorry, no sympathy here. If you are on probation, violate that probation, and then are st...

Sorry, no sympathy here. If you are on probation, violate that probation, and then are stupid enough to draw aattention to yourself, you have nobody but yourself to blame. And if you're that dumb, you frankly deserve it.

--hide--

The First Amendment allows for political speech, even stupid speech. Yeah the guy may well have been a scoundral; heck, even the man whose article I quote admitted the fact, and so do I.

The point is that the probation violation was a pretext.

While you may have, and he may not deserve sympathy, the circumstances of his arrest for something that was NOT the cause of the Great Muslim Hissy-fit of 2012 should at least concern you. It does me.

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: The First Amendment allows for political speech, even stupid speech. Yeah the guy may w...

The First Amendment allows for political speech, even stupid speech. Yeah the guy may well have been a scoundral; heck, even the man whose article I quote admitted the fact, and so do I.

The point is that the probation violation was a pretext.

While you may have, and he may not deserve sympathy, the circumstances of his arrest for something that was NOT the cause of the Great Muslim Hissy-fit of 2012 should at least concern you. It does me.

--hide--

The point is there was a bona fide probation violation. End of story.

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: The point is there was a bona fide probation violation. End of story.

The point is there was a bona fide probation violation. End of story.

--hide--

I'm not doing anything wrong. I broke no laws, so I have nothing to fear, eh?

You don't get to decide.

You and I are simply part of the general population; if we become worthy of being made into boogy men, they simply have to spend another minute inventing the pretext instead of the second to take it out of their pocket.

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: The problem is what is meant by "linked." Depending on how you define your term...

The problem is what is meant by "linked." Depending on how you define your terms, you can "link" anybody to anything. The whole "Keven Bacon" game and all that.

There is no question that there are militant jihadists taking part in these conflicts. There is no question that there are also plenty of far more reasonable folks who are also taking part.

In the Cold War, the U.S. made the mistake of supporting ANYBODY, no matter how vile, who said they were anti-communist. Sometimes we kept the commies out, sometimes we failed. But we always created a lot of hatred and bitterness in the local populations by supporting their oppressors (in places where there were oppressive regimes). We need to avoid repeating that.

--hide--

So now we have to make the mistake in the other direction, and choose the opposite error?

At least in the Cold War, we had a real cause we were working toward. What is the grand cause here?

youtu.be

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: I'm not doing anything wrong. I broke no laws, so I have nothing to fear, eh? <...

I'm not doing anything wrong. I broke no laws, so I have nothing to fear, eh?

You don't get to decide.

You and I are simply part of the general population; if we become worthy of being made into boogy men, they simply have to spend another minute inventing the pretext instead of the second to take it out of their pocket.

--hide--

So why not just become an anarchist?

Being on probation means that you've been convicted of something and society is in its benevolence not making you do your entire term in jail. In return for that, you agree not do anything bad. If you go back on your agreement, then you have no ground to cry about what happens.

12/16/2012 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: So now we have to make the mistake in the other direction, and choose the opposite erro...

So now we have to make the mistake in the other direction, and choose the opposite error?

At least in the Cold War, we had a real cause we were working toward. What is the grand cause here?

youtu.be

--hide--

No, this is not a binary solution set. Now we need to find a middle ground.

Here's the deal: in Muslim countries a representative government is, shock and and surprise, going to be composed of a lot of Muslims. Some of them will be nut cases, some of them won't. Assuming that ALL Muslims are nut jobs is not helpful.

Posts 41 - 50 of 55