Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Just Wondering? About?

11/27/2012 new

Hi Everybody! I"am Just wondering? What Comes to your Mind? (Right away)? When you Hear or Read the WORD "CULT"? Does it mean? "Cult" Mean Evil? or is it a Harsh word; Now i heard i forget either on Tv or Radio; Some People say "Our" Relgion some outside of "our" Relgion; (call us) as a "Cult" Do you agree? or What? As for me i always use to thnk the Word "Cult" was a form of a Evil relgion practice! I still do! What do you all think? Of the word? ("Cult") I think its been a while since we chatted about this?! Thanks Mike "peace"!!

11/27/2012 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: Hi Everybody! I"am Just wondering? What Comes to your Mind? (Right away)? When you Hear or Re...
(Quote) Mike-646924 said:

Hi Everybody! I"am Just wondering? What Comes to your Mind? (Right away)? When you Hear or Read the WORD "CULT"? Does it mean? "Cult" Mean Evil? or is it a Harsh word; Now i heard i forget either on Tv or Radio; Some People say "Our" Relgion some outside of "our" Relgion; (call us) as a "Cult" Do you agree? or What? As for me i always use to thnk the Word "Cult" was a form of a Evil relgion practice! I still do! What do you all think? Of the word? ("Cult") I think its been a while since we chatted about this?! Thanks Mike "peace"!!

--hide--

Cult doesn't have any bad connotation to me. It merely comes across as a type of practice of devotion or religious service...like the etymology. There are lots of uses of the word "cult" in the Church, like "cult of Our Lady" or "cult of the saints," etc.

11/27/2012 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Cult doesn't have any bad connotation to me. It merely comes across as a type of p...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Cult doesn't have any bad connotation to me. It merely comes across as a type of practice of devotion or religious service...like the etymology. There are lots of uses of the word "cult" in the Church, like "cult of Our Lady" or "cult of the saints," etc.

--hide--
Thank You! For your opinion Chelsea; ( i guess) I never thought of it that way; Thank You! Mike "peace"!!

11/27/2012 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: Hi Everybody! I"am Just wondering? What Comes to your Mind? (Right away)? When you Hear or Re...

--hide--

I think for most it would be a bad thing but only because of how we have heard it used in the media. It is usually associated with bad things because that is what "sells" as news. I am sure if you researched it you might find gentler meaning for it. Thanks Mike, for giving us reason to pause and think.

11/28/2012 new

(Quote) Donna-871766 said: I think for most it would be a bad thing but only because of how we have heard it used in...
(Quote) Donna-871766 said:

I think for most it would be a bad thing but only because of how we have heard it used in the media. It is usually associated with bad things because that is what "sells" as news. I am sure if you researched it you might find gentler meaning for it. Thanks Mike, for giving us reason to pause and think.

--hide--
Thank You! Donna for your opinion!

11/28/2012 new

--hide--
Use of the word "cult" differs considerably in the Western world. It's not inherently an evil group, but can be regarded as "foreign" in thought and action, possibly dangerous. In Western thought, a cult is a group that is believed to have deviated from mainstream religions. The leaders are usually people who display a great deal of charisma. The followers are often people who don't seen to blend into mainstream society. Note, Mike, that this refers to religious cults.

11/28/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Use of the word "cult" differs considerably in the Western world. It's not inherently...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Use of the word "cult" differs considerably in the Western world. It's not inherently an evil group, but can be regarded as "foreign" in thought and action, possibly dangerous. In Western thought, a cult is a group that is believed to have deviated from mainstream religions. The leaders are usually people who display a great deal of charisma. The followers are often people who don't seen to blend into mainstream society. Note, Mike, that this refers to religious cults.

--hide--
i Thank You Ray for your Opinion and everyboy eles's i'am Learning (a lot) from everybody; I appreciate that. Mike "peace"!!

11/28/2012 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: i Thank You Ray for your Opinion and everyboy eles's i'am Learning (a lot) from everybody;...

i Thank You Ray for your Opinion and everyboy eles's i'am Learning (a lot) from everybody; I appreciate that. Mike "peace"!!

--hide--
You're welcome, as always, Mike....

11/28/2012 new

I think of a cult as a radical group that has positioned themselves apart from maintream society. They have their own leaders, their own culture and rules, and they don't allow any freedom of varying opinion. There are usually negative connotations with any group that considers themselves a cult. They instill fear in the people outside their group from either misunderstanding or their extremist viewpoints.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9