Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

What are your predictions?

Nov 28th 2012 new

I am interested in what people's predictions are. They can be for the next year, to the next decade or next week. They can be about Obama's next term, the economy, Middle East or whatever. Please give a time frame you think the prediction will occur.

I don't want people replying to eachother. I don't want a debate. Rather, I want to record people's predictions and examine how accurate we were. Time to put your foot where your mouth is. laughing

Nov 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: I am interested in what people's predictions are. They can be for the next year, to the next...
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said:

I am interested in what people's predictions are. They can be for the next year, to the next decade or next week. They can be about Obama's next term, the economy, Middle East or whatever. Please give a time frame you think the prediction will occur.

I don't want people replying to eachother. I don't want a debate. Rather, I want to record people's predictions and examine how accurate we were. Time to put your foot where your mouth is.

--hide--

Hi Bernie,

Okay, why not? I predict that all this hoopla about the Mayan calender ending and the coming of tribulations is a lot of nothing, and Jan 1 in the northern United States will be a typically cold, dark winter day, a typically depressing terminus to the annual Christmas Season.

James ☺

Nov 28th 2012 new

Oooooh, a chance to pull predictions out of my rear end.

Economy - US continues weak recovery and growth. Unemployment rate down to 7.1% by end of 2013, but probably not down to 5% in the next 10 years. Some people are just plain unemployable these days.

Housing continues to recover from bubble hangover. Prices rise slightly (3% per year nationwide) and foreclosure levels drop.

US manufacturing does great and value of manufactured goods made in US surpasses China in 2014. However, employment in manufacturing continues to decline. Same pattern as happened in agriculture a century ago - more output with fewer employees.

Higher education bubble semi-bursts (2011-2020) as policy-makers realize it was a dumb idea for everyone to go to college and that so many college grads are still pretty dumb. Renewed emphasis on non-profit trade schools and teaching trades in high school.

Change in workplace habits and arragements continue (now to 2025) as large corporations do not hire people back after last recession. We will see increased numbers of temporary employees, outsourcing, contractors. More flexibility in telecommuting, virtual teams and organizations. Surge in entrepreneurship in US as everyone realizes it is the best time ever to start a company. Most of these will be small operations.

Long term challenge to economy - the aging of society (next 40 years). Too many people on social security and Medicare and not enough younger workers paying into system. Politicians afraid to address problem because whenever they do, a tea party rally forms with old people holding up signs that say Keep Your Government Hands Off My Medicare.

Future economic growth (several decades) - I have no idea. Maybe some new technologies will bear fruit. I suspect creativity and soft enhancements will drive a lot of whatever growth there is.

Politics - Modest increase in income tax rate in 2013. Modest increase in income tax and payroll tax rate in 2015. 2014 elections another yawner. GOP keeps control of House, picks up a couple seats in Senate, but Dems still have majority.

Some kind of immigration bill passes (2013 or 2014), but it won't do much, and all sides will be pretty unhappy with it.

International - Neither US nor Israel gets into shooting war with Iran. Too much to lose. Iran may get nuclear weapon, and we will all be sad, but we will live with it.

EU breaks up a little bit (2013). Not sure how.

China investment bubble will burst as growth slows to more sustainable levels (2014-2016). China will have more political unrest (2015-2020) as it becomes apparent that perestroika without glasnost is a loser.

Terrorism remains biggest threat over next decade, especially if nukes get into hands of terrorists.

Nov 28th 2012 new

(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: I am interested in what people's predictions are. They can be for the next year, to the next...

I don't want people replying to eachother. I don't want a debate. Rather, I want to record people's predictions and examine how accurate we were. Time to put your foot where your mouth is.

--hide--
I will win the Powerball lottery and live happily ever after. open mouth

A bit more seriously: As a result of declining voter participation and increasing discord between fiscal and social conservatives, the Republican party will fracture, resulting eventually in a third party. A third party would also attract moderate and conservative Democrats. It will take a number of years for Americans to become comfortable with this, but having a broader choice would result in higher voter turnout and be healthier for our system of government. How many of us voted for the lesser of two evils on Nov. 6? I believe this is an inevitable political evolution- we all saw how shabbily Ron Paul's delegates were treated at the Republican convention, for example. Both Republicans and Democrats are tired of being told what to think.

Regarding the Middle East: I believe as many do, that we can continue to guarantee the survival of Israel and practice a little tough love at the same time. There is a reason most American Jews are Democrats. They love Israel, but are weary of it's endless wars and the continuing illegal occupation. We can begin by supporting the Palestinian bid for statehood, as many Israelis themselves support as well.

That's it for me- I'm no futurist, but I am an optimist! biggrin

Nov 28th 2012 new

--hide--
Since no one has done it yet, I'll take the moral predictions. THe more liberals fight to take God out of the equation and use tax dollars to increasingly fund the prodeath culture, the more sin becomes the norm and the prodeath culture increases. Taxes make the rich poorer and govt take over continues to kill our capitalist economy and keep the poor, poor with an increase in unemployment as ususal...both the reported and the unreported. The liberal media continues to cover up anything that doesn't protect their party's interest.

Nov 28th 2012 new

--hide--

One more....with the lack of God and values in the equation, Paul Ryan is the last decent congressman....until he is also corrupted by the lawyer run govt laughing

Nov 28th 2012 new
(Quote) Bernie-350671 said: I am interested in what people's predictions are. They can be for the next year, to the next decade or nex...

--hide--

The dollar will lose its world reserve currency status in 5-10 years, and many countries will return to a precious metals standard.

By 2030, the Democratic Party will be perceived as the pro-war party.

State nullification movements will continue to increase for the foreseeable future (as they already have in regards to the Obama Healthcare mandate and medical marijuana).

Many, many people will wake up the morning of December 22, 2012, feeling very stupid.
Nov 28th 2012 new
Thought of another...

By the 2024 election, the GOP presidential candidate will be in favor of homosexual marriage. They will also support abortion in the first trimester. Despite this fact, social conservatives will still try to pass this candidate off as a "pro-life candidate" and will insist that all social conservatives have a moral obligation to vote for this person for president.
Nov 28th 2012 new

How about this: i.imgur.com

Nov 28th 2012 new

--hide--

The official unemployment rate for the US will rise to above 9% in 2013.

Most market pundits are forecasting 9+%rise for the stock market in 2013. Since the pundits always turn out to wrong, We will see at least a 20% correction. If the pundits then start predicting the end of civilization, the market will rally to end the year where it started. This pattern will continue for the next 4 years. If Europe implodes (which it may well do if the Germans finally get fed up supporting all of Europe) the world will see the second severe depression in 100 years. It will then take at least 10 years to recover from that debacle.

For a clue at how bad and how long it will be one need only look at Japan. Something like 20 years and counting of poor economic performance.

Posts 1 - 10 of 28