Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Nov 30th 2012 new
I think I share this one before but last Christmas I wrote a letter to Catholic charities, the part where they provide gifts to needy families during the Christmas season and enclosed a check. I explained that years ago when my son was seven or eight years old money was really tight and my son needed gifts and he was growing way too fast and he needed clothes and might not understand all Santa could do that year was some new clothes and shoes, after all little boys need a few toys. And someone had broken into our house and stolen mostly stuff from Andrews room so I was letting Andrew sleep in my double bed and I was sleeping on the twin bed in his room at the time just so he could feel more secure since the window they came through was above his bed. Well the year all this drama took place my counselor from Catholic charities surprised me on one of my visits and gave me toys and clothes for Andrew plus a voucher for 50 dollars in food from a supermarket. My note I enclosed last year explained how that gift of kindness shown to me so many years ago had given me hope during that Christmas season and I hoped that my monetary gift last year could begin to repay that kindness shown to me.

My therapist called me in tears shortly after I mailed the letter...you see my letter gave her the sign she needed to know her work helped others. Within a month time last year there were three suicides among Oklahoma teens and at least two affected Catholic families or schools. When Monica called it was to ask my permission to use the progress she saw in me to encourage those other families, she assured me she would protect my identity of course. And of course I told her if any part of my journey could help those families it would be quite ok with me.....
Nov 30th 2012 new

This wasn't the Best or the Worst, but the cutest. My youngest son, who was 5 years old at the time, picked out a present all by himself and it was a box of chocolates I liked. As soon as I opened it, he asked "Momma, will you share?" I gave him his pick.

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-898354 said: This wasn't the Best or the Worst, but the cutest
(Quote) Lynn-898354 said:

This wasn't the Best or the Worst, but the cutest. My youngest son, who was 5 years old at the time, picked out a present all by himself and it was a box of chocolates I liked. As soon as I opened it, he asked "Momma, will you share?" I gave him his pick.

--hide--
Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the threads. VERY cute story. wave

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I think I share this one before but last Christmas I wrote a letter to Catholic charities, the part wher...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I think I share this one before but last Christmas I wrote a letter to Catholic charities, the part where they provide gifts to needy families during the Christmas season and enclosed a check. I explained that years ago when my son was seven or eight years old money was really tight and my son needed gifts and he was growing way too fast and he needed clothes and might not understand all Santa could do that year was some new clothes and shoes, after all little boys need a few toys. And someone had broken into our house and stolen mostly stuff from Andrews room so I was letting Andrew sleep in my double bed and I was sleeping on the twin bed in his room at the time just so he could feel more secure since the window they came through was above his bed. Well the year all this drama took place my counselor from Catholic charities surprised me on one of my visits and gave me toys and clothes for Andrew plus a voucher for 50 dollars in food from a supermarket. My note I enclosed last year explained how that gift of kindness shown to me so many years ago had given me hope during that Christmas season and I hoped that my monetary gift last year could begin to repay that kindness shown to me.

My therapist called me in tears shortly after I mailed the letter...you see my letter gave her the sign she needed to know her work helped others. Within a month time last year there were three suicides among Oklahoma teens and at least two affected Catholic families or schools. When Monica called it was to ask my permission to use the progress she saw in me to encourage those other families, she assured me she would protect my identity of course. And of course I told her if any part of my journey could help those families it would be quite ok with me.....
--hide--
Awww....how nice all the way around!
One year I was worried.....along with "J" about giving a decent Christmas to the guys. However I did play (and continue to) the lottery. Right around this time.....between Thanksgiving and Christmas I played this one game....and ended up winning 15,000 dollars! I came flying home and said, "J....we ARE going to have a good Christmas this year....I won!" She said, "Huh? What do you mean....the lotto?" I said "Yes!" The next day...she was still incredulous...but after I went down to the Lottery Commission...and came home with the check....she believed! You might say God gave me a huge gift through the lottery!

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Linda,Once again, Jerry has come up with a winner for a thread. Both of you have t...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Linda,

Once again, Jerry has come up with a winner for a thread. Both of you have that in common.

I am entering this thread today and have read many of the posts and all of yours. I knew at some point, you would reference your conversion to Catholicism as your greatest gift. Certainly one to be proud. That is the Catholic's gain and the Protestant's loss.

In my lifetime, I can't say I ever received a bad gift. I always figured if I received a gift inappropriatefor me, then that individual still had to put forth some effort and thought. Of course, they sometimes could have thought of something else. I always graciously thanked everyone.

For the best gift, I have had several. I come from a family of modest means. My dad worked hard for little money. In 1957 when I was 10, I received a Sears J. C. Higgins 26 inch bicycle. At that time, the bike cost $66.00 which was a great personal financial sacrifice. The bike was a little big but young children grow fast. This bike had chrome fenders, a horn, nice light, white wall tires and a carrier on the rear fender so I could take the girls in the neighborhood for rides. They loved it. I was the envy of the guys and gals. When I got much older, I wish I would have had the sense to keep the bike.

Let me say for the record, my former spouse always gave me great gifts. The only reason hers weren't at the top of the list was due to the sacrifices dad had to endure to buy that bike. When we were married, we had more money for gifts.

From a spiritual standpoint, one Christmas about 10 years ago, I received from a non-family member a rosary from Bethlehem, The beads were made by local craftsmen and come from trees of olive wood from the Holy Land. River water from the Jordan is placed inside the center-piece of the rosary. I have only used that rosary twice as I have told my children I want that rosary to be buried with me.

I must say I have given some strange gifts to others but that is for another time. Some I could not mention on CM.

Linda, - no meats? no salted hams? no furs? no jewels? Gosh, your next husband will have it easy. Seriously, you will be his greatest gift.

Blessings to all,

Leon

--hide--
Leon,

Thank you for your kind words. As always, you're the true "Southern Gentleman". rose hug

As far as my "next husband"....the dollar menu at McDonald's and a BIG piece of CAAAAAKE will do nicely for this humble gal. wink Happy Birthday! laughing laughing

Dec 1st 2012 new

[quote]Jerry-730726 said:

Brenda, I had someone give me a years' supply of cranberry juice. All I could think of was Christmas Vacation: "It's the gift that keeps on giving Clarke!"

[ laughing laughing laughing /quote]

OMgosh, I just spit my drink out! That quote is hilarious!!!!

Dec 1st 2012 new

This thread is great.

I have to say the best gifts I've received are the ones from my children when they were younger. But when I was still married, studying full time and working full time, my children gave me a gift (with the assistance of their father) of a pampering and massage at a day spa. I was so excited that I was going to use it as soon as my last class finished. To my disappointment, when I went to use it 3 months later, it had already been used by the children's father! Needless to say, that was probably one of the things that helped me see that I deserved better in life and my divorce has ended up being the blessing I needed to regain my life and dignity.

God works his miracles, and it has taken me a long time to see that I am in a much better place.

theheart

Dec 1st 2012 new
When I was a little girl my Mom and my Aunt got together and made a whole wardrobe for mine, my sister and my cousins Barbie dolls, each girl got ten outfits and each girl received one wedding dress complete with tiny seed pearls hand sown lovingly on the dresses. These clothes were so much better than anything you could have purchased at the time......

Btw thank you Jerry for starting this thread and helping stir my happy memories of past Christmases!
Dec 1st 2012 new

The thing that flashed in my mind when I read the thread was not the gift that I received but the gift that I gave to my classmate when I was in high school, I was 13 then. My gift made her cry and I was so sorry for her. I gave her a comb, I thought she needed it badly because her hair usually looked tangled. My other classmates told me that I offended her.

Dec 1st 2012 new

My all time favorite year for gift giving was when we decided all gifts had to be hand made. My husband's mom crocheted beautiful Christmas Trees, we made tissue box holders and cross-stitched crafts, we received Yule logs, cutting boards and baked breads. It was so neat to see how creative everyone could be. It was so enjoyable to get together without expectations.

My husband and I had a tradition of giving gifts we made ourselves. It was such a joy to work on them together. My daughter has since picked up the tradition and seeing everyone's reactions to the things she's crafted is so sweet. Last year she made about a dozen patchwork pillows for the littlest nieces and nephews, all appliquéd with their names on them. They loved them.

Posts 181 - 190 of 200