Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

And so it continues...

Nov 29th 2012 new

www.foxnews.com

I'm proud of my brother Knights of Columbus for maintaining and protecting this Montana statue of Jesus. I'll bet these same athiests that sue over Christian symbols such as this depiction of Christ or the ten commandments wouldn't sue for the removal of a statue of the buddha.

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: www.foxnews.com.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

www.foxnews.com

I'm proud of my brother Knights of Columbus for maintaining and protecting this Montana statue of Jesus. I'll bet these same athiests that sue over Christian symbols such as this depiction of Christ or the ten commandments wouldn't sue for the removal of a statue of the buddha.

--hide--

Thanks for sharing this, Peter.

This case has some novel elements in it. One, I think the Knights are onto something here to press to know the accuser. Of course, we know that these lawsuits are filed without having an accuser in mind, but by pressing who is accusing us, we can get a better grip on why these lawsuits are being filed. As an American, the accused has a civil right to know who is making an accusation. In our system of due process, other Americans have a right to know who is filing an accusation and using the court system to do it, too.

Secondly, I find the "historic" nature of the U.S. Forest Service intriguing, because it suggests there is a period of time by which religious items on public property achieve a preservation value. Perhaps that is what will preserve the several religious leaders in the frieze of the entablature of the Justice building from being chiseled off into gravel.

Third, there is a role here for the First Amendment right to freedom of the press. Does anyone know whether the local newspaper in that city has interviewed Mr. Cox or made the attempt?

If I was a newspaper reporter in that city, I'd want an interview with Mr. Cox to find out who he is, why he sued, what is his motivation and why he did it now instead of in past years? One question I would want to ask him is, in light of the First Amendment prohibiting the free exercise of religion, how his lawsuit doesn't violate that fact?

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: www.foxnews.com.

www.foxnews.com

--hide--

What is most interesting about these kind of lawsuits is that a minority works to impose their will on the majority via the Courts.

The Constitution created a structure where the majority rules while still providing protection for minorities.

But these lawsuits are not really about rights but about feelings. The Constitution does not concern itself with feelings and therefore the courts should not either.

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: What is most interesting about these kind of lawsuits is that a minority works to impose ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

What is most interesting about these kind of lawsuits is that a minority works to impose their will on the majority via the Courts.

The Constitution created a structure where the majority rules while still providing protection for minorities.

But these lawsuits are not really about rights but about feelings. The Constitution does not concern itself with feelings and therefore the courts should not either.

--hide--
My question would be why are the courts so intimidated by minority opinions in such cases? I recall reading about one family moving into a small midwestern town. They were "offended" by the Christmas Creche display on the court house grounds, and were able to have it removed. They became pariahs in their own community, accomplishing nothing. The court should have told them to come back when atheists outnumber Christians in the community!

Nov 29th 2012 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: My question would be why are the courts so intimidated by minority opinions in such cases? I reca...

My question would be why are the courts so intimidated by minority opinions in such cases? I recall reading about one family moving into a small midwestern town. They were "offended" by the Christmas Creche display on the court house grounds, and were able to have it removed. They became pariahs in their own community, accomplishing nothing. The court should have told them to come back when atheists outnumber Christians in the community!

--hide--

Another thought has come to mind, Peter.

Bernie spoke on here earlier about mobilizing a Catholic army as a response to the growing blare of anti-religious fervor in this country.

I think the Catholic universities that care about their Catholic identity should have their law schools file "Friend of the Court" briefs on the side of the Knights of Columbus, as a further point of solidarity among Catholic brethren to stand with each other.

Nov 30th 2012 new

(Quote) John-727073 said: Another thought has come to mind, Peter.Bernie spoke on here earlier about mobiliz...
(Quote) John-727073 said:

Another thought has come to mind, Peter.

Bernie spoke on here earlier about mobilizing a Catholic army as a response to the growing blare of anti-religious fervor in this country.

I think the Catholic universities that care about their Catholic identity should have their law schools file "Friend of the Court" briefs on the side of the Knights of Columbus, as a further point of solidarity among Catholic brethren to stand with each other.

--hide--
I should run that past my nephew who's in his second or third year of law school at Catholic University in DC. He's non Catholic, but I could ask.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6