Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Dec 1st 2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Thanks for the feedback. I found a few email addresses for Bishop Soto's office (Sacra...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I found a few email addresses for Bishop Soto's office (Sacramento diocese)... email addresses for the bishop and his staff executive assistants. Perhaps I will send an email to them and see what happens. Bishop Soto has been somewhat active concerning the HHS mandates.

Ed

--hide--

That sounds great, Ed. Let us know what Bishop Soto's response is. If it is positive, maybe we (CM members) can contact our bishops and let them know what Bishop Soto is doing. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.

- Elizabeth

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: The Federal Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit in St. Louis last night agreed to block the ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

The Federal Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit in St. Louis last night agreed to block the implementation of the HHS Mandate against \– Catholic businessman Frank O’Brien – while he pursues his appeal of the lower court decision. Below is part of what you can find at CatholicVote.org concerning this subject.

"To be clear, this ruling only stops the enforcement of the mandate against Frank O'Brien's company. But the Court traditionally does not grant such a motion unless they believe we have a solid case, and have a reasonable change to win.

This is a significant step considering that the ruling was made on behalf of a private business – not a religious organization. Of course religious organizations deserve protection from the mandate, but so does every American. We want religious freedom for everyone!

I am emphasizing to the media that while Mr. O’Brien’s company is not a religious organization, he does not view his faith as something separate from his professional work. Christians do not check their faith at the church door on Sundays. We are called to live out our faith in everything we do.

Yesterday's decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit marks the highest court yet to issue an injunction against the HHS mandate."

To get more information, go to CatholicVote.org.

Hopefully, this serious Constitutional issue will be cleared up and we can go back to having religious freedom in America. It's time now to pray, pray, and pray some more.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

That is a good solid start, Elizabeth. Thank goodness.

Dec 2nd 2012 new
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: The Federal Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit in St. Louis last night agreed to block the implementation...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

The Federal Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit in St. Louis last night agreed to block the implementation of the HHS Mandate against \– Catholic businessman Frank O’Brien – while he pursues his appeal of the lower court decision. Below is part of what you can find at CatholicVote.org concerning this subject.

"To be clear, this ruling only stops the enforcement of the mandate against Frank O'Brien's company. But the Court traditionally does not grant such a motion unless they believe we have a solid case, and have a reasonable change to win.

This is a significant step considering that the ruling was made on behalf of a private business – not a religious organization. Of course religious organizations deserve protection from the mandate, but so does every American. We want religious freedom for everyone!

I am emphasizing to the media that while Mr. O’Brien’s company is not a religious organization, he does not view his faith as something separate from his professional work. Christians do not check their faith at the church door on Sundays. We are called to live out our faith in everything we do.

Yesterday's decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit marks the highest court yet to issue an injunction against the HHS mandate."

To get more information, go to CatholicVote.org.

Hopefully, this serious Constitutional issue will be cleared up and we can go back to having religious freedom in America. It's time now to pray, pray, and pray some more.

- Elizabeth

--hide--
Hi, Elizabeth! wave

Here's the latest on the Diocese of Pittsburgh Lawsuit...

BISHOP ZUBIK ON LAWSUIT DISMISSAL

"The lawsuit filed by the Diocese of Pittsburgh, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, Inc. and the Catholic Cemeteries Association of Pittsburgh against the Department of Health and Human Services mandate that threatens religious freedom was dismissed without prejudice by U.S. District Judge Terrence F. McVerry on November 27. Bishop David Zubik issued the following statement:

While I am disappointed in the ruling that our lawsuit cannot proceed at this time based on the very narrow argument that we allegedly have no real damages yet from the Health and Human Services mandate, I am very encouraged that it was dismissed without prejudice. That means that we have every right to file again in the future.

We will now await in good faith the accommodation to religious freedom that the federal government has claimed it will offer. However, we must all be aware that no modification to the original HHS mandate in regard to religious freedom has yet been made.

Other courts have reached differing conclusions in the challenges to the HHS mandate, so this remains fluid. I do want to make clear, however, that we cannot and will not negotiate away our constitutional rights to religious freedom and religious expression." www.diopitt.org
Dec 2nd 2012 new
There is more than one way to skin a cat...

Folks, if you haven't signed the petition, called, or e-mailed your governor to say NO to implementing a state exchange with Obamacare, please do so now. There is a December 14 deadline!

So far 20 states have said NO to Obamacare exchanges. It's especially important if you live in one of the states listed on this link:

secure.freedomworks.org
Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Hi, Elizabeth! Here's the latest on the Diocese of Pittsburgh Lawsuit... BISHOP ZUBIK...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Hi, Elizabeth!

"The lawsuit filed by the Diocese of Pittsburgh, Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, Inc. and the Catholic Cemeteries Association of Pittsburgh against the Department of Health and Human Services mandate that threatens religious freedom was dismissed without prejudice by U.S. District Judge Terrence F. McVerry on November 27. Bishop David Zubik issued the following statement:

While I am disappointed in the ruling that our lawsuit cannot proceed at this time based on the very narrow argument that we allegedly have no real damages yet from the Health and Human Services mandate, I am very encouraged that it was dismissed without prejudice. That means that we have every right to file again in the future.

We will now await in good faith the accommodation to religious freedom that the federal government has claimed it will offer. However, we must all be aware that no modification to the original HHS mandate in regard to religious freedom has yet been made.

Other courts have reached differing conclusions in the challenges to the HHS mandate, so this remains fluid. I do want to make clear, however, that we cannot and will not negotiate away our constitutional rights to religious freedom and religious expression." www.diopitt.org
--hide--

I hope Bishop Zubik is a man of his word. If he is, he might have to spend time in jail so that the lawsuit become "ripe."

- Elizabeth

Dec 4th 2012 new

I emailed the following letter to Bishop Soto's office (Diocese of Sacramento) this evening. We'll see what happens.

Ed

-------------------------------------------------

To: "Gloria Gentil, Executive Assistant to Bishop Soto" <ggentil@scd.org>

cc: "Fidelina Duran-Spagnola, Executive Administrative Assistant" <fduran-spagnola@scd.org>,
"Mary Shoenberger, Executive Administrative Assistant" <mshoenberger@scd.org>

Subject: HHS Mandate - Raising money to help finance the resulting lawsuits

Most Rev. Jaime Soto and Ms. Gloria Gentil,

Concerning the HHS Mandate with the newly implemented health care system....

Thank you for your continuing efforts and leadership concerning the impending implementation of the troubling HHS mandate as it pertains to Catholic organizations and Catholic-owned for-profit businesses.

I was discussing this matter with some friends, and I received some positive feedback concerning a fundraising idea that could be used to raise a large amount of money to help finance this effort. My suggestion is that perhaps all of the Catholic bishops should consider a 2nd Sunday collection in every parish across the U.S. to help finance just these sorts of lawsuits. Many businesses and religious organizations could be put out of business fighting such a legal battle on their own. If they knew that they could tap into some sort of general legal fund, it could make a huge difference in this ongoing battle with the current administration.

I think that a 2nd Sunday collection would really get the attention of the people in the pews. Who knows, maybe non-Catholic denominations would join in too. It seems to me that many millions of dollars could be raised rather instantly over a single weekend and it would be simple for a parishioner to contribute even a single dollar to the effort. I don't believe that this would run afoul of the tax-exempt status of religious organizations because the money would be used to support an issue (not a person). The 2nd Sunday collection is used to fund many worthy causes. What more worthy and urgent cause than the impending legal battles concerning the HHS mandate?

I just wanted to pass this idea along to you. Perhaps there is something productive that may come of it.

Thank you for your time an attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Ed Schultheis

Parishioner - St. Theresa of Avila Parish, Auburn, CA
& small business owner
Auburn, CA 650-400-2498
Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I emailed the following letter to Bishop Soto's office (Diocese of Sacramento) this evening. We&#...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I emailed the following letter to Bishop Soto's office (Diocese of Sacramento) this evening. We'll see what happens.

Ed

-------------------------------------------------

To: "Gloria Gentil, Executive Assistant to Bishop Soto" <ggentil@scd.org>

cc: "Fidelina Duran-Spagnola, Executive Administrative Assistant" <fduran-spagnola@scd.org>,
"Mary Shoenberger, Executive Administrative Assistant" <mshoenberger@scd.org>

Subject: HHS Mandate - Raising money to help finance the resulting lawsuits

Most Rev. Jaime Soto and Ms. Gloria Gentil,

Concerning the HHS Mandate with the newly implemented health care system....

Thank you for your continuing efforts and leadership concerning the impending implementation of the troubling HHS mandate as it pertains to Catholic organizations and Catholic-owned for-profit businesses.

I was discussing this matter with some friends, and I received some positive feedback concerning a fundraising idea that could be used to raise a large amount of money to help finance this effort. My suggestion is that perhaps all of the Catholic bishops should consider a 2nd Sunday collection in every parish across the U.S. to help finance just these sorts of lawsuits. Many businesses and religious organizations could be put out of business fighting such a legal battle on their own. If they knew that they could tap into some sort of general legal fund, it could make a huge difference in this ongoing battle with the current administration.

I think that a 2nd Sunday collection would really get the attention of the people in the pews. Who knows, maybe non-Catholic denominations would join in too. It seems to me that many millions of dollars could be raised rather instantly over a single weekend and it would be simple for a parishioner to contribute even a single dollar to the effort. I don't believe that this would run afoul of the tax-exempt status of religious organizations because the money would be used to support an issue (not a person). The 2nd Sunday collection is used to fund many worthy causes. What more worthy and urgent cause than the impending legal battles concerning the HHS mandate?

I just wanted to pass this idea along to you. Perhaps there is something productive that may come of it.

Thank you for your time an attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Ed Schultheis

Parishioner - St. Theresa of Avila Parish, Auburn, CA
& small business owner
Auburn, CA 650-400-2498

--hide--

What a great letter, Ed. Would you mind if I send it to my bishop and the group of American bishops (I can't remember the groups name, but I will find out) along with a letter from me? I'm thinking if every bishop in America received a letter like this and, like you suggested, we get our Prostestant and Jewish friends to join in, then we might really be able to raise the money needed to fight these legal battles and raise the awareness of the general public too. What do you think?

- Elizabeth

Dec 4th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Hi, Elizabeth! Here's the latest on the Diocese of Pittsburgh Lawsuit... BISHOP ZUBIK...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Hi, Elizabeth!

--hide--

While I'll agree that it is a partial victory for the Diocese of Pittsburgh, the decision has a haunting feel similar to the logic of our court system that dominated the NFIB v. Sibelius decision in June. In June, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled chronologically first that the ACA complaint couldn't be dismissed under the Anti-Injunction Act definition of a "tax" because the ACA defined its punishment as a "penalty," and the court in its next step for the purpose of further argument, calling the ACA "penalty" a "tax." In other words - just like Pittsburgh - the federal court said "we can't judge something that hasn't had time to extract a punishment" ... but then decided to rule on the case anyway.

I'm trying to make it clear here that the judge abstained from deciding the case on its merits and so I am prone to wonder why the U.S. Supreme Court didn't follow the same logic? Perhaps a CM reader on here has more insight into Judge McVerry and why he doesn't adopt the viewpoints of the Supreme Court in D.C. I am wondering: is he Catholic? Does he have a history of deciding cases on their merits rather than injecting personal political philosophies viz a viz Roberts? Who sponsored the federal appointment of McVerry?

Judge McVerry is showing himself to be a friend to the Catholic. We should want to know more about him.

Dec 4th 2012 new

Elizabeth,

Thanks for the nice comments. It is very much appreciated.

Please feel free to use my letter as you wish or make any changes to personalize it for yourself. If others are interested in doing the same, that would be fine with me.... The more, the better.

I like your idea of sending it to the group of American bishops too. Are you thinking of the USCCB (U. S. Conference of Catholic Bishops)? If so, I believe that Cardinal Timothy Dolan is the current president of the USCCB.

Who knows? Maybe this will amount to something significant!

Ed

Dec 6th 2012 new
Court rules in favor of Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York on HHS Mandate www.becketfund.org

Court Rules Obama HHS Mandate Doesn't Protect Religious Liberty www.lifenews.com
Posts 11 - 20 of 28