Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: That may be the way your environment worked; it is not the way Google's advertising program wo...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

That may be the way your environment worked; it is not the way Google's advertising program works. Google's model would break down completely if every web site had to approve in advance each ad to be displayed.

--hide--

Jerry is right - we can place our own ads there if we have them. If we don't have any to show, then google just fills the spot. We give general parameters for what should go there, but we don't get a specific say other than to say

A) Block everything advertising for a specific URL

B) Block everything from a specific advertiser or

C) Block this specific ad.

And again, no more warcraft ads should show up. We had been using option C and weren't fully aware of the other options.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Sandra-871852 said: I don't see any ads. I use Firefox and Adblock Plus.
(Quote) Sandra-871852 said:

I don't see any ads. I use Firefox and Adblock Plus.

--hide--

I cannot condone the use of Adblock!

*coughmetoocough*

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nathan-48443 said: Jerry is right - we can place our own ads there if we have them. If we don't have an...
(Quote) Nathan-48443 said:

Jerry is right - we can place our own ads there if we have them. If we don't have any to show, then google just fills the spot. We give general parameters for what should go there, but we don't get a specific say other than to say

A) Block everything advertising for a specific URL

B) Block everything from a specific advertiser or

C) Block this specific ad.

And again, no more warcraft ads should show up. We had been using option C and weren't fully aware of the other options.

--hide--

Also we block categories of ads that are likely to contain a high number of ads that would either not be approriate on CatholicMatch or would just not fit in with there overall presentation of the site. That being said the number of complaints we recieve versus the numbers of ads we server every month is maybe 1/10th of 1%.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Makes sense. But, are these ads paid for and presented to CM by Google?
(Quote) Helen-450889 said:

Makes sense. But, are these ads paid for and presented to CM by Google?
--hide--

Keep in mind that Google has millions of ads being displayed on millions of web sites. The process of determining which ads are displayed on which web sites is done automatically based on the characteristics of the ads and the web sites as well as factors such as the ad display budgets, the cost of displaying an ad on a given site (determined by a magic Google algorithm), and even the individual viewing the ad (it's not an accident that you often see ads for products you have been browsing on the Internet...).

As Brian and Nathan explained, both can control what is displayed to some extent, but individual ads are not provided for approval before they are presented. There are some obvious cases that can be blocked in advance: for example, CM can indicate they do not want to display ads for playboy.com or for contraceptives. However, as you can imagine, it is impossible to anticipate in advance everything that might be inappropriate. Adding to the problem is that some advertisers intentionally misrepresent the nature of their ads in an attempt to get more exposure. Google does attempt to detect mismatches between the actual ad content and how the advertiser represents it, but this is by and large an automated process and is far from perfect, especially for visual ads.

As Brian said, the number of offensive ads is actually a fairly small portion of the number of ads displayed every day. I have reported several offensive ads to CM, and in each case they responded quickly and blocked them. But they need specific information (URL or at least the name of the advertiser); descriptions like "the ad of Jesus riding a dinosaur" aren't specific enough to allow them to block it unless they happen to see it as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that Google targets the ads to individuals as well as to the displaying web site. While you may see a given ad frequently, the CM staff may not. They may be trying diligently behind the scenes to find an ad someone reported so they can get the information needed to block it and just never see the ad.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: thanks. this is what i thought. the ads that appear on my page appear to be based on websi...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

thanks. this is what i thought. the ads that appear on my page appear to be based on websites i've visited, so i get religious or political ads which more or less (but not always) match my beliefs/preferences. i also get ads from shopping sites my sons or i have visited which feature items i/we have viewed.

i'm not sure why some people fuss over the ads and take it as a personal affront. so what if a protestant or mormon ad appears? ignore it. we don't get ads for offensive products or services.

--hide--

I edited David's post to remove a suggestion that, while well-intentioned for CM, violate's Google's term of use and could cause CM to be booted from the ad program.

Advertisers pay based on the number of times the ads are clicked on, not the number of times they are displayed. Obviously, you should click on an ad if you are interested in the product, or even if that's the only way to get the URL so it can be blocked. However, intentionally clicking on ads either to drive up revenue for the displaying site or to penalize the advertiser is considered fraud. The CPC (cost per click) can be as much as several dollars, which can add up fairly quickly. And, yes, Google has algorithms that review the click-through rates based on ad, advertiser, and display site that are used to detect patterns that suggest fraud.

Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nathan-48443 said: I cannot condone the use of Adblock! *coughmetoocough*

*coughmetoocough*

--hide--

oops! Sorry, I'm not much of a shopper. wink

Dec 5th 2012 new
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I edited David's post to remove a suggestion that, while well-intentioned for CM, violate's Goog...

I edited David's post to remove a suggestion that, while well-intentioned for CM, violate's Google's term of use and could cause CM to be booted from the ad program.

Advertisers pay based on the number of times the ads are clicked on, not the number of times they are displayed. Obviously, you should click on an ad if you are interested in the product, or even if that's the only way to get the URL so it can be blocked. However, intentionally clicking on ads either to drive up revenue for the displaying site or to penalize the advertiser is considered fraud. The CPC (cost per click) can be as much as several dollars, which can add up fairly quickly. And, yes, Google has algorithms that review the click-through rates based on ad, advertiser, and display site that are used to detect patterns that suggest fraud.

--hide--
Oops! Sorry.
Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Nathan-48443 said: I cannot condone the use of Adblock! *coughmetoocough*

*coughmetoocough*

--hide--

laughing laughing

I just completely ignore them.. It's rare when I even notice the text on them..

Dec 5th 2012 new
Thanks Nathan, the World of Warcraft was the most important one to keep off CM!
Dec 5th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Keep in mind that Google has millions of ads being displayed on millions of web sites. Th...

Keep in mind that Google has millions of ads being displayed on millions of web sites. The process of determining which ads are displayed on which web sites is done automatically based on the characteristics of the ads and the web sites as well as factors such as the ad display budgets, the cost of displaying an ad on a given site (determined by a magic Google algorithm), and even the individual viewing the ad (it's not an accident that you often see ads for products you have been browsing on the Internet...).

As Brian and Nathan explained, both can control what is displayed to some extent, but individual ads are not provided for approval before they are presented. There are some obvious cases that can be blocked in advance: for example, CM can indicate they do not want to display ads for playboy.com or for contraceptives. However, as you can imagine, it is impossible to anticipate in advance everything that might be inappropriate. Adding to the problem is that some advertisers intentionally misrepresent the nature of their ads in an attempt to get more exposure. Google does attempt to detect mismatches between the actual ad content and how the advertiser represents it, but this is by and large an automated process and is far from perfect, especially for visual ads.

As Brian said, the number of offensive ads is actually a fairly small portion of the number of ads displayed every day. I have reported several offensive ads to CM, and in each case they responded quickly and blocked them. But they need specific information (URL or at least the name of the advertiser); descriptions like "the ad of Jesus riding a dinosaur" aren't specific enough to allow them to block it unless they happen to see it as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that Google targets the ads to individuals as well as to the displaying web site. While you may see a given ad frequently, the CM staff may not. They may be trying diligently behind the scenes to find an ad someone reported so they can get the information needed to block it and just never see the ad.

--hide--

I get targeted ads all the time..Let me look at a yarn site and I get ads for yarn..Thinking about a new mattress and look online? I get mattress company ads... If I go from here to the knitting forums, Catholicmatch ads pop up..

Posts 21 - 30 of 41