Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Today is the first day of Advent - Do we realize that in the Church's infinite wisdom and love, gives us this time to prepare not only our hearts but more importantly our soul's for Christmas.

For some, Christmas means presents, parties and all the glitz as well as the religious aspect. Yet, how do we give ourselves the gift of Christmas, that on Christmas morning we know Christ's love for us in a deeper way, that He came on earth to give us this gift.

What do you plan to do this Advent to prepare your heart so that you may experience a deeper understanding of God's love for you.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: Today is the first day of Advent - Do we realize that in the Church's infinite wisdom and love,...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

Today is the first day of Advent - Do we realize that in the Church's infinite wisdom and love, gives us this time to prepare not only our hearts but more importantly our soul's for Christmas.

For some, Christmas means presents, parties and all the glitz as well as the religious aspect. Yet, how do we give ourselves the gift of Christmas, that on Christmas morning we know Christ's love for us in a deeper way, that He came on earth to give us this gift.

What do you plan to do this Advent to prepare your heart so that you may experience a deeper understanding of God's love for you.

--hide--

Beside spending more time praying - I intend to work on things that stops me from letting go of the negative feelings that keep me from God's grace - such as apologizing when I have offended someone. By not saying we are sorry, we hold on to our own feelings that keep chipping away and making us feel we are right. This is contrary to allowing God into our lives and living His message.

Dec 2nd 2012 new
That's a good thought Mary. As for me I try to get to confession at a minimum at the change of every church season. So I have that on my to-dos for Advent.
Dec 2nd 2012 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: That's a good thought Mary. As for me I try to get to confession at a minimum at the change of every ...
(Quote) John-746882 said: That's a good thought Mary. As for me I try to get to confession at a minimum at the change of every church season. So I have that on my to-dos for Advent.
--hide--

John, one of the most valuable things that has given me solace and has stragthened me over the last couple of years because, of beng in a difficult situation, is the constant reception of the sacrament of confession. It is not for only the "big" mortal sins but also the venial ones that weeken our resolve and does not allow us to grow in our spirituality or definitely hinders us. I think of how Mother Teresa and Pope John Paul II went to confession every day from what I read. They knew the importance of God's love for us, His sufferring and how even little infractions keeps us from growing in Him. In helping us grow, it helps us to be kinder to ourselves and more Christlike to others.

Dec 2nd 2012 new

Mary, to help bring the Advent Season into our hearts, the choirs of three parishes in Sonora, CA joined together this afternoon at St. Patrick's. The service was called "Lessons and Hymns for Advent". The choirs sang English, Spanish, and Swahili hymns, and the seven "Lessons" were readings from Isaiah, Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Those in the congregation sang along to two of the hymns, and we finished with the Our Father, and a final hymn in Swahili and English. Afterwards, everyone went to the church hall and enjoyed a High English Tea--lovely tablecloths and china, tasty scones, crumpettes, finger sandwiches, and petit fours! And best of all, each of us had the opportunity to select an "angel" from the "Giving Tree" of needy kids in foster care. It was a great start for Advent! rose

I'm sure there will be many more ways to anticipate the coming of Christ's light, and I can't wait to hear how others will be that too~ You get a Gold Star!

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Beverly-649723 said: Mary, to help bring the Advent Season into our hearts, the choirs of three parishes in Sonora, ...
(Quote) Beverly-649723 said:

Mary, to help bring the Advent Season into our hearts, the choirs of three parishes in Sonora, CA joined together this afternoon at St. Patrick's. The service was called "Lessons and Hymns for Advent". The choirs sang English, Spanish, and Swahili hymns, and the seven "Lessons" were readings from Isaiah, Matthew, Mark, and Luke. Those in the congregation sang along to two of the hymns, and we finished with the Our Father, and a final hymn in Swahili and English. Afterwards, everyone went to the church hall and enjoyed a High English Tea--lovely tablecloths and china, tasty scones, crumpettes, finger sandwiches, and petit fours! And best of all, each of us had the opportunity to select an "angel" from the "Giving Tree" of needy kids in foster care. It was a great start for Advent!

I'm sure there will be many more ways to anticipate the coming of Christ's light, and I can't wait to hear how others will be that too~

--hide--

Thanks Beverly what a wonderful way to open our hearts to God in preparation for Christmas than music in prayer and then celebrating community.

My hope was that this topic would generate people to think of how Advent is similar to Lent, that we work on our selves in preparation for Christ birth and creating a new heart and soul by seeing something in our lives that may be a deterrent to living fully in grace and to experience fully the meaning of Christmas by hindering the full love Christ wishes to bring to us. Thus working on one fault that we bring to confession and we ask forgiveness, we leave with a firm purposes of amendment. Remember it it may never be totally taken away but by working on it we become freer and happier people and bring us to a closer love relationship with God.

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said: Today is the first day of Advent - Do we realize that in the Church's infinite wisdom and love,...
(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

--hide--

Thanks for posting this Mary. wave You provided me with a solid foundation to gain a clear understanding of the homily that day.

I read this prior to heading to Sunday Mass. The homily was all about preparing our hearts and souls for the coming of the Christ Child. I gained much after reviewing your above information. theheart This is a topic on which I needed some perspective and I received plenty that day.

Thank you again! rose

Dec 6th 2012 new

(Quote) Mary-25961 said:

--hide--
www.ewtn.com

Posts 1 - 8 of 8