Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Dec 12th 2012 new

Now to talk about Jimmy Johnson: (from Port Arthur, Tx)

Btw, Jimmy Johnson went to high school with Janis Joplin!

Jimmy Johnson was/is one of the most colorful, humorous, tough, temperamental, and smartest football coaches I have ever seen. And those adjectives barely "scratch the surface" He was also one of the WINNINGEST (is that a word?) coaches I've ever seen. Having played at the University of Arkansas (with Jerry Jones...the Cowboys owner) he knew what winning was all about. Arkansas won the National Championship in I believe 1964. So you might say he already had the "championship pedigree" Once when interviewed by the Miami Dolphins owner (Wayne Huizenga) he was asked to express his feelings....the "how's" and "whys" he would have success. His answer was simple. He said: " I NEED TO WIN" After that it was easy putting the contract together. Unfortunately....it is not all about coaches. The Dolphins did reach the playoffs...but Jimmy would never contend for a Super Bowl again. While at Dallas....(when he and Jones WERE getting along) they were building and trading to make the Dallas Cowboys a football team again. He said in his book...that that first season with us in 88 was long and hard. He did not see HOW the Cowboys would win ANY of their 16 games (they won one)...with an older....slower team. Many of the older players fought hard....like Ed Jones and Randy White...but "Father Time" caught up with them...and Jimmy made them expendable or "allowed" them to leave with pride. But he and Jones "drew all aces" when it came time for the draft....and then pulled the "coup d gras" with the Minnesota Vikings...getting several players and 1st round picks for our star running back Herschel Walker. This was called the "Great Train Robbery" Jimmy later remarked about Hershel's style not being conducive to the offensive attack he envisioned. Hershel (to Jimmy anyway was a GREAT north/south runner...but could not "cut" well like the likes of Emmitt Smith) He was able to build the team around his quarterback Troy Aikman....and in doing so....came up with some GREAT players to ever play offensive line for the Cowboys. They then acquired Emmitt and traded for several more....and many of these players would win 3 Super Bowl rings....along with receiving ALL-Pro honors. He had built a dynasty!

Jimmy though...would not tolerate inconsistency and would cut/fire a player if he wasn't giving his best. He ruled by intimidation....primarily. Many would disagree with this coaching style...but I think he also had the luxury of starting great players.

Once when a kicker complained of asthma...Jimmy told him, "Then go stand over there with the other asthma players!" Given to TIRADES during games...Johnson was almost comical to watch. Sometimes his face looked like he was going to "vapor lock" when an official made a questionable call. One time we were playing the Chicago Bears...and seemingly had the game "at hand" A young running back named Curvin Richards...fumbled several times and the Bears nearly "climbed back into the game" Afterwards....instead of being elated Jimmy was "mad as a nest full of hornets"! They asked him "what's up Coach?" He said, "I'm glad we won....but the LAST thing I want to see is a player "flopping around" out there. I won't tolerate it" He didn't. Richards was cut the next day. (Oops!)

Another time...an official COST us a game when he didn't call a New York running back for fumbling (this was before instant replay was official) Our defender CLEARLY stripped him of the ball...but it was in a "maze" of players...and apparently they didn't see. The ball stayed with the Giants and they scored or ran the clock out. Jimmy was as livid as I've ever seen him! His face went from red to white to red again! He was also trying to get the ref Gordon McCarter to look at the play on the big screen...by pointing several times. He was pacing up and down the sidelines like a fighter ready to go back in action!

Then after the game he said something about the officials ( a HUGE NO,NO in the NFL) which cost him a great deal. He said, "Not since I was an itsy bitsy kid.....and my Daddy said, "Son, this is a football" have I EVER seen such poor officiating as what we saw today!"

Sometimes he could be honest and criticize himself. One time we...lost a close game....and it was in a large part due to not having ANY timeouts left. (you may have witnessed this with the Bengals Sunday when they were out of timeouts at the beginning of the 4th quarter)

At his press conference 2 days later (usually took a day for him to calm down and start thinking of the next opponent) He said, "We just HAVE to do some things better....me included...since I won the TIME MANAGEMENT of the year award the other day!" All the sportwriters were dying laughing!

These are just a few things I remember about Jimmy. Frankly since his heart attack and surgery....i think he is much more subdued than he used to be...but still remains a good balance to the crew on the NFL pre-game show.

Sadly, EGOS are a big part of football....and he and Jerry Jones had a huge FIGHT over control of the team (basically) and they parted ways and friends. My feeling is....if Jimmy Johnson had stayed on....instead of us hiring Barry Switzer to coach the team when Jimmy was fired....I believe we would have won 4 Super Bowls in a row! Instead we dropped a lop-sided championship game to the 49ers and they won the third time and the Super Bowl. Then we came back and won the 3rd of 4 Super Bowls against the Pittsburg Steelers.

While I disagreed with much of his coaching philosophy....I RESPECTED him as a coach. But again....Jimmy had a GREAT football team to work with.

Oddly enough....since Jerry Jones "runs" the football team as owner and GM....he has never been able to CHALLENGE for the Lombardi Trophy.

(Bill Parcells was the last strong personality we had...and you see where he is!) It is very sad to see that (the Cowboys) have been in a 17 year drought!

More could be printed on Jimmy...but for those who are interested....his book....."Turning the Thing Around" is a good commentary on him and his short legacy with the Dallas Cowboys

Dec 12th 2012 new

Well I've put this off long enough. I keep going back and forth on my picks as I think this is a tough week to make the calls.

These games could go either way at this late stage. I'm thinking as tough as the picks are this week, it may just come down to home field advantage.

We shall see..... scratchchin

THURSDAY DEC. 13TH

Bengals over Eagles

SUNDAY DEC. 16TH

Falcons over Giants (Falcons are gonna be fired up after last weeks loss)

Broncos over Ravens

Packers over Bears (tough call)

Redskins over Browns

Texans over Colts (sorry, Nancy, the Texans are gonna try to safe face at home after that beating they took last week)

Dolphins over Jaguars (could go either way)

Saints over Buccaneers

Vikings over Rams (yes, Gerard, I picked your Vikes)

Seahawks over Bills

Chargers over Panthers (hope the Chargers show up, as this is another one that could go either way)

Lions over Cardinals (I give up if the Lions don't pull this one out)

Cowboys over Steelers (LOYALITY!!!!)

Raiders over Chiefs (hope the Raiders get the memo on this game)

Patriots over 49ers

MONDAY DEC. 17TH

Titans over Jets (another one I've agonized over)

Good luck to all with your picks this week. I think we're going to need it!! wink laughing

Dec 13th 2012 new

Georges picks for week # 15

CINCINNATI over PHILADELPHIA

GIANTS over FALCONS

DENVER over BALTIMORE

GREEN BAY over DABEARS

WASHINGTON fly by CLEVELAND

HOUSTON over INDIANAPOLIS

MIAMI over JACKSONVILLE

BUCCANEERS over SAINTS

MINNESOTA over ST. LOUIS

DETROIT over ARIZONA

SEATTLE over BUFFALO

SAN DIEGO over CAROLINA

COWBOYS squeak by STEELERS

OAKLAND over KANSAS CITY

NEW ENGLAND over SAN FRANCISCO

JETS over TENNESSEE

There are some good old time rivalrys this week! Should be a fun Sunday!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Dec 13th 2012 new

Predictions for Week 15. Last week,I had 7 wins.

Eagles fly past the Bengals,24-17.

Falcons escape the Giants,28-27.

Vikings hold off the Rams,21-16.

Dolphins swim past the Jaguars,23-15.

Packers cage the Bears,29-21.

Redskins tougher than the Browns,23-21.

Ravens upend the Broncos,24-22.

Texans corral the Colts,27-26.

Saints trip the Buccaneers,27-16.

Cardinals stun the Lions,24-17.

Chargers electrify the Panthers,31-24.

Bills capture the Seahawks,25-21.

Cowboys rope the Steelers,24-21.

Raiders hostile towards the Chiefs,28-12.

49ers strike the Patriots,31-27.

Jets higher than the Titans,15-7.

Good luck to everyone.

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: (Quote) Gerard-400247 said: Upset...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said:

Quote:
Gerard-400247 said:

Upset Specials: Week 15.

Vikings over Rams.

Cowboys over Steelers.

Panthers over Chargers.

Them's fightin' words Gerard .... the may be my #1 team but I live in Steelers country .... have supported them in the Super Bowl every time they've made it since I moved here.

--hide--

Edward,

I pick three random games for weekly upset specials.It does NOT mean that I believe each game chosen,will have that result.

The Steelers had a poor showing at home,against a team that is OUT,of the playoff hunt.

I noticed that you didn't have any problem,when I picked the Lions to upset the Packers... laughing

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: In 1962 in what was then the longest game ever played....the Dallas Texans faced the Houston Oile...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

In 1962 in what was then the longest game ever played....the Dallas Texans faced the Houston Oilers for the then AFL Championship game.

The game went on....and on and on! At the end of regulation....it was "tied up" The captains of each team met in the middle of the field...for the coin toss. The Texans lost...and Houston elected to receive. One of our captains, Abner Haynes was then given the opportunity to select which end of the field the Texans would defend. Because of nerves or maybe miscomunicating Haynes said, "We're gonna KICK to the clock" Incredulously the head referee repeated this: "You're gonna KICK to the clock" (more as a question than anything else) Haynes then pointed to the end of the field they wanted...which meant...they were "headed" TOWARDS the scoreboard and clock!

With Len Dawson from the University of Purdue at quarterback the Texans finally prevailed! It would be the last time they played as the Dallas Texans...because owner Lamar Hunt knew the City of Dallas could no longer support 2 football teams. They then became the Kansas City Chiefs which they are today!

--hide--

Jerry,

Thank you for the history lesson.Are there any "leftover" Texans/Chiefs fans in your area?

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Hello my fellow posters.Not much chance of me overtaking Jerry, Nancy and Gerard unless th...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Hello my fellow posters.

Not much chance of me overtaking Jerry, Nancy and Gerard unless they just don't post. I only got 8 right.

My Texans got their butts smashed right into their faces vs. Brady and company. Gee whiz!!! To lose is one thing, to get whupped behind the barn is another.

So, lets see what Week 15 brings:

Once again, home teams in bold:

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Bengals over the Eagles

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Giants over the Falcons

Broncos over the Ravens

Packers over the Bears

Browns
over the Redskins

Texans
over the Colts (time for them to get their act together)

Dolphins
over the Jaguars

Saints
over the Buccaneers

Rams
over the Vikings (sorry Gerard, it is just something I feel - nothing personal)

Lions over the Cardinals (Linda, hope the Lions win one for you)

Seahawks over the Bills

Chargers
over the Panthers

Cowboys
over the Steelers (Tony, don't let me down on this one)

Raiders over the Chiefs

Sunday Evening

Patriots
over the 49ers (I hope I am wrong)

Monday December 17, 2012

Jets over the Titans

I wish you all the very best in your picks.

Blessings to all,

Leon

--hide--

Leon,

I think that eveyone will keep posting,sorry friend... laughing Every team will take a horrible defeat,now and then.

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-730726 said: I don't know Leon....there's still lots of football to be played...I think EVERYONE has a...
(Quote) Jerry-730726 said:

I don't know Leon....there's still lots of football to be played...I think EVERYONE has a chance~

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Bengals over the Eagles

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Giants over the Falcons

Broncos over the Ravens

Packers over the Bears

Redskins
over the Browns

Texans
over the Colts (agreed on this one Leon. The Texans should be wound up like a cheap clock!)

Dolphins
over the Jaguars

Saints
over the Buccaneers

Vikings
over the Rams (Leon, Mr Adrian Peterson looked like a man against boys)

Lions over the Cardinals (Linda, hope the Lions win one for you)

Seahawks over the Bills

Chargers
over the Panthers

Cowboys
over the Steelers (Come on Tony, keep up the good work!)

Raiders over the Chiefs

Sunday Evening

Patriots
over the 49ers (I hope I am wrong)

Monday December 17, 2012

Jets over the Titans

--hide--

Jerry,

Thank you for the picks.

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Well I've put this off long enough. I keep going back and forth on my picks as I think this i...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Well I've put this off long enough. I keep going back and forth on my picks as I think this is a tough week to make the calls.

These games could go either way at this late stage. I'm thinking as tough as the picks are this week, it may just come down to home field advantage.

We shall see.....

THURSDAY DEC. 13TH

Bengals over Eagles

SUNDAY DEC. 16TH

Falcons over Giants (Falcons are gonna be fired up after last weeks loss)

Broncos over Ravens

Packers over Bears (tough call)

Redskins over Browns

Texans over Colts (sorry, Nancy, the Texans are gonna try to safe face at home after that beating they took last week)

Dolphins over Jaguars (could go either way)

Saints over Buccaneers

Vikings over Rams (yes, Gerard, I picked your Vikes)

Seahawks over Bills

Chargers over Panthers (hope the Chargers show up, as this is another one that could go either way)

Lions over Cardinals (I give up if the Lions don't pull this one out)

Cowboys over Steelers (LOYALITY!!!!)

Raiders over Chiefs (hope the Raiders get the memo on this game)

Patriots over 49ers

MONDAY DEC. 17TH

Titans over Jets (another one I've agonized over)

Good luck to all with your picks this week. I think we're going to need it!!

--hide--

Linda,

Thank you for your picks.I too,agonized this week... happy you for took the Vikes! biggrin

Dec 13th 2012 new

(Quote) George-80266 said: Georges picks for week # 15 CINCINNATI over PHILADELPHIA GIANTS over FALCO...
(Quote) George-80266 said:

Georges picks for week # 15

CINCINNATI over PHILADELPHIA

GIANTS over FALCONS

DENVER over BALTIMORE

GREEN BAY over DABEARS

WASHINGTON fly by CLEVELAND

HOUSTON over INDIANAPOLIS

MIAMI over JACKSONVILLE

BUCCANEERS over SAINTS

MINNESOTA over ST. LOUIS

DETROIT over ARIZONA

SEATTLE over BUFFALO

SAN DIEGO over CAROLINA

COWBOYS squeak by STEELERS

OAKLAND over KANSAS CITY

NEW ENGLAND over SAN FRANCISCO

JETS over TENNESSEE

There are some good old time rivalrys this week! Should be a fun Sunday!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

--hide--

George,

Thank you for the entries(lots of tough choices). crossfingers

Posts 51 - 60 of 125