Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

All,

I went to the chapel on Fort Jackson expecting to attend Mass today to fulfill the feast day requirement. Unfortunately, which I didn't know, they don't have Mass on Fridays. I'm travelling tonight to Dobbins ARB, Marietta, GA to attend my monthly training courses for my next promotion, so going to a vigil Mass tonight isn't possible. Tomorrow I'm in training at Dobbins from 7:30 a.m. until about 5 p.m., after which I plan to attend the regular Saturday vigil Mass, but this doesn't fulfill my obligation.

I submitted an email to my instructors and class leader at Dobbins requesting to be excused for an hour to attend Mass tomorrow morning at one of the local parishes. I assume they'll say yes, but if not, am I excused? I recall something about military and other civil servants being granted and exemption based on circumstances, but I'm not sure this applies.

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: All,I went to the chapel on Fort Jackson expecting to attend Mass today to fulfill the feas...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

All,

I went to the chapel on Fort Jackson expecting to attend Mass today to fulfill the feast day requirement. Unfortunately, which I didn't know, they don't have Mass on Fridays. I'm travelling tonight to Dobbins ARB, Marietta, GA to attend my monthly training courses for my next promotion, so going to a vigil Mass tonight isn't possible. Tomorrow I'm in training at Dobbins from 7:30 a.m. until about 5 p.m., after which I plan to attend the regular Saturday vigil Mass, but this doesn't fulfill my obligation.

I submitted an email to my instructors and class leader at Dobbins requesting to be excused for an hour to attend Mass tomorrow morning at one of the local parishes. I assume they'll say yes, but if not, am I excused? I recall something about military and other civil servants being granted and exemption based on circumstances, but I'm not sure this applies.

--hide--
Not to worry, Carl. You have the intention to intend, but circumstances are making it difficult, maybe not possible, for you to attend. Had you been aware of the problem sooner, you could have spoken with a Catholic chaplain who could officially grant a dispensation. A suggestion if this is not possible at this late stage is to attend an extra Mass during the week if possible, or perform extra acts of penance. Also, if possible, there are Masses on TV stations such as EWTN. It's not a substitute for attending, but it will bring you there in spirit and you will have the benefit of hearing the readings and homily.

When circumstances are beyond your control, you can be dispensed from this obligation. This is a simple explanation, but should suffice for your purpose. Perhaps you'll still obtain permission to attend the holy day Mass, and the problem will be completely solved.

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: All,I went to the chapel on Fort Jackson expecting to attend Mass today to fulfill the feas...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

All,

--hide--

It can't hurt to ask your priest for the dispensation.

There are varied opinions regarding whether a Saturday vigil Mass can be used to satisfy the obligation for the feast. At least one prominent canon lawyer has publicly posted his opinion that any Mass from a vigil on Friday evening through 11:59 PM Saturday can be used to fulfill the obligation for the Holy Day, even if the Mass itself is that of Sunday. His opinion also states that one Mass can NOY be used to fulfill both obligations: if you use a vigil Mass on Saturday for the holy day, you must attend a second vigil Mass on Saturday or a Mass on Sunday for the Sunday obligation.

Obviously, it would be best to attend a Mass for the Immaculate Conception and a Mass for Sunday. If circumstances prevent that and the alternative is not attending any Mass for the IC, it certainly can't hurt to attend a Saturday vigil for that and a second Mass for Sunday. Just to be safe, I'd also mention this in confession.

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Not to worry, Carl. You have the intention to intend, but circumstances are making it difficult, ma...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Not to worry, Carl. You have the intention to intend, but circumstances are making it difficult, maybe not possible, for you to attend. Had you been aware of the problem sooner, you could have spoken with a Catholic chaplain who could officially grant a dispensation. A suggestion if this is not possible at this late stage is to attend an extra Mass during the week if possible, or perform extra acts of penance. Also, if possible, there are Masses on TV stations such as EWTN. It's not a substitute for attending, but it will bring you there in spirit and you will have the benefit of hearing the readings and homily.

When circumstances are beyond your control, you can be dispensed from this obligation. This is a simple explanation, but should suffice for your purpose. Perhaps you'll still obtain permission to attend the holy day Mass, and the problem will be completely solved.

--hide--

The suggestion to watch Mass on EWTN is a good one. While it does not count as attending Mass, if you participate as best you can (pat attention to the readings and homily and reflect on the Mass itself), you will gain some spiritual benefits you won't get otherwise. EWTN replays the daily Mass several times each day, including once in the late eening.

Dec 7th 2012 new
Is there an Internet offering of this, Jerry?
Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Is there an Internet offering of this, Jerry?
(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Is there an Internet offering of this, Jerry?
--hide--

Yes. Just go to EWTN.com and click on the Television link on the menu at the top of the page. Their entire program schedule is available on the Internet. In fact, you can also watch the satellite feeds for other countries/languages if their schedule suits you better. The program schedules for all geographies are also available on the same menu.

Dec 7th 2012 new
Thank you!
Dec 7th 2012 new

I did speak to our acting Catholic Chaplain on this when I showed up at the Chapel late this morning, but all he did was encourage me to try to get to the local parishes off-post if they had a vigil Mass I could attend. He was a foreigner, so language was a bit of a challenge. In the end, I told him I would call around to the different local parishes around Fort Jackson, but all of their Masses are in the evening, and I'll be travelling by then.

My plan is to get to either St. Joseph's in Marietta, Holy Family in Roswell, or St. Catherine of Siena in Kennesaw. They all have Masses at various times in the morning. St. Catherine's would be fun, since Father John gives a special blessing to military and law enforcement personnel. I just need to get the OK from the instructors.

Dec 7th 2012 new

Thank God for masstimes.org. They identify the nearest parishes and provide general Mass times, as well as links to the parish homepages which provided the holy day Mass times.

Dec 7th 2012 new

(Quote) Carl-98335 said: Thank God for masstimes.org. They identify the nearest parishes and provide general Mass times, as ...
(Quote) Carl-98335 said:

Thank God for masstimes.org. They identify the nearest parishes and provide general Mass times, as well as links to the parish homepages which provided the holy day Mass times.

--hide--

I hope you were able to find one that works for you.

Just a general note for those who are not familiar with the Mass directory sites: MassTimes.org and other similar sites are a great resource for locating parishes when you are traveling, but ALWAYS verify the actaul Mass times with the parish. Often parishes change their schedules and don't update these sites, so the information can get quite stale.

Posts 1 - 10 of 17